• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 102
Posts: 102   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
This topic has been viewed 36841 times and has 101 replies Next Thread
Cleaver
Captain

The Terrible Tale of Captain Cleaver Reply to this Post

"The sun descended into the dark and stormy clouds that gathered in the west, and night fell. Below decks in the Galley the ship's cook worked tirelessly, preparing the evening meal for the hungry crew of Pirates. A whole tuna lay before him, caught that day by the Quartermaster. His cleaver glittered as it rose and fell.

So taken with his work was he that he heard not, when the scurvy lice-ridden treacherous blaggards that they had but three days ago hired from some accursed atoll, stole out from their duties, and gathering weapons, set upon the Crew of loyal and true Pirates. Mutiny! Yet the good cook worked unheeding as they back-stabbed and slew his Crew-mates. It was only when the last of his fellow Pirates were dead, the Captain slain after a bitter struggle, that the cook emerged from the galley bearing triumphantly a great platter of sashimi. He was met by a deck awash with blood.

The blaggards stood before him, already squabbling between themselves over Captaincy and shares of the ill-gotten gold. The good cook saw his slain friends and madness seized him. The platter of delicious buttery fish was thrown aside, and the cleaver flashed out.

Only one lived to witness the battle between the treacherous cut-throats and the good cook, and he himself could never recall it since. Waking, as if from a trance, he stood in the dawn light surrounded by a scene of dreadful carnage. Madness had come to him in the night, his name and more forgotten.

For days, or weeks, the great ship drifted at Sea, for even the stalwart cook could not master her many sails alone. At last one fateful night she was driven aground on the shores of a strange Island. But a shadow of his former self, the good cook crawled ashore to die there upon the surf. But the island was inhabited - by a tribe of Arrrrtists, no less. Kindly they took him in, nursed him to health, and dubbed him Captain Cleaver for his piratey ways and great attachment to his silver blade. Alas, for the company of arrrrrtists was enough to secure the Captain forever in the realm of lunacy.

It is years now since the Captain was rescued from that strange time, marooned on the island of arrtists. He has once more taken to the Pirate's life, and though the cook's galley is no longer for him, his cleaver never leaves his side, and the light of its red flashing blade is in his eyes."

-- As written by the Monks of Isle of Faq
[May 8, 2002 3:07:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Penndalla

Re: The Terrible Tale of Captain Cleaver Reply to this Post

I jest thought this should be brought back to the top of the list so that the newbies know ye be insane from the get-go, Cleaver. Har.

Now we know what happened to ye very first testers.
----------------------------------------
Pennsuedo

My art: http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/Pennsuedo/?start=all
[Jul 20, 2003 7:22:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/Pennsuedo/?start=all [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

Ahh Reply to this Post

No, the first ones still be here... just a little worse for wear; both in ye mind, and missing some teeth, that kind of thing.

Ely?
(The first to log into alpha, methinks)
[Jul 20, 2003 7:38:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Ely

Yep that was me, and I remember a fantastic world of unending bilge combos when there was one less piece to worry about. I haven't seen a sea donkey since.
[Jul 21, 2003 2:57:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Ely114 [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

Did the bigger combos even have names back then?
[Jul 21, 2003 3:02:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
Ely

Yes they did, but I'd be at a loss to remember them all. Bingo, vegas and sea donkey are all I can recall.
[Jul 21, 2003 3:23:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Ely114 [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

I have a perhaps misplaced memory of advanced combos not having special names. Different puzzle? Different game?
[Jul 21, 2003 3:27:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
Livesey

Sea donkey and vegas are still achievable in bilge. I believe I submitted a screenshot of a vegas, in fact...
-Hethor
[Jul 21, 2003 5:45:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

Oh I know they are still available . . . I just have this notion that 4x 5x etc. didn't always have names.

Maybe they did, and I just didn't know it because I didn't get any.
[Jul 21, 2003 6:21:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
Cryptic

Not sure I can remember.

/em scratches his head carefully with his hook
Cryptic

When the fell moon rises and kingdoms fall
There's a time of darkness before cock's call
When the Tide washes in from windward to lee
And she leaves behind her a blood-red sea
[Jul 21, 2003 11:00:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
3eyedSusy

I think you could be right Hom but then me memory seems a little foggy.
But I dont seem to remember getting to many of them then anyway.

Wildeyedjack
[Jul 23, 2003 1:37:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dragonlilly

Penndalla wrote: 
I jest thought this should be brought back to the top of the list so that the newbies know ye be insane from the get-go, Cleaver. Har.

Ditto! :D
Dragonlilly, Captain of SDTC
A very much retired old sea salt! Or would that be sea saltess?
Shanty Raid-io!
[Mar 14, 2004 1:29:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://dragonlilly.shantyraidio.com    srdragonlilly    SO+Dragonlilly    101380420 [Link]  Go to top 
Smurrf

Now I know damn good and well I brought this back up once before...where'd my bump go?
Hermit Smurrf
[Mar 14, 2004 1:48:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dragonlilly

I ate it. :p
Shanty Raid-io!
[Mar 14, 2004 1:55:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://dragonlilly.shantyraidio.com    srdragonlilly    SO+Dragonlilly    101380420 [Link]  Go to top 
DaneT

Penndalla wrote: 

Here is the thread's annual bump.
It has been said, my friends, that I like war. My friends, I like War. No...I LOVE WAR!

Danet - An old salt of Y!PP, but not the oldest by a long shot.
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Smackey

You dirty man, you.
"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal."- Friedrich Hayek
[Jul 4, 2005 5:17:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lbm

harr! treasure from the depths! I hadn't seen this thread before! fine reading! :)

Doubloons have cost exactly the same price for years. 42 dubs for $10.

Oh, what's that? You want it to be easier to play the game FOR FREE? Sorry, kiddo. No sympathy.

[Jul 4, 2005 5:25:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DaneT

Smackey wrote: 
You dirty man, you.

Har, HAR!
Sigged!
<dances on Buri's head>
It has been said, my friends, that I like war. My friends, I like War. No...I LOVE WAR!

[Jul 5, 2005 2:49:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Custard

Talk about a bump...
I'm not dead yet!
[Jul 5, 2005 3:08:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hempline

/me goes off to explore, in order to find the Isle of Faq... and perhaps, just perhaps, the isle of arrrrrtists.
Hempline
Forever a Nameless Corsair
Island Designer
Hermit

omg welcum bak hmeplien we mist u

-Eurydice
[Jul 6, 2005 4:10:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CursedBurger

Best thing in this forum.
Are there any pirates on this ship?
And if they sober up,
they'll have us home by morning.
[Jul 6, 2005 6:44:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Piplicus_BNO

And here's me thinking that this thread contained some rationale about Cleaver's in-game decisions and his turmoil over them...

What Pip tried to do was something totally unprecedent. He, in some strange way, used Midnight as a test server, without him even knowing. [Crap, it sucks I was not online when he did that :'(... pfft, anyways]

Like a bad penny.
[Jul 6, 2005 7:08:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com    Intermission #3 - click here! [Link]  Go to top 
stripey2004

Piplicus_BNO wrote: 
And here's me thinking that this thread contained some rationale about Cleaver's in-game decisions and his turmoil over them...

Do you know, thats exactly what I thought. I thought it was some kind of stepping down post.
Featherfin
SO - Ransack Marauders, Lord - Marauders Pact
YPPedia administrator | Island Designer
"What's the Welsh for sea cucumber?" - Orsino
[Jul 6, 2005 8:52:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    FeatherfinYIPP [Link]  Go to top 
DaneT

Piplicus_BNO wrote: 

In PARLEY?

I really should stop bumping these old threds I find in DJL as I keep researching. I might become known for it.

[Jul 6, 2005 3:46:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
gordo036

/me bumps and runs *weeee!!*

Nuey
~who JUST found the story and thought it too cute to sit on the dusty backlogs of the forums for too long
Nuemenor

Auzziemoo officer chats, "quite a few lazers. im pretty sure not all of them are gunning or writing a book"
Freja says, "if you survive a week - you will be ready to help us scare the next new pirate half to death"
[Jan 31, 2006 10:50:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dragonlilly

DaneT on Aug 9, 2005 wrote: 

Penndalla wrote: 

Here is the thread's annual bump.

[Aug 9, 2005 7:00:00 PM]

Smackey in the very next post wrote: 
You dirty man, you.

[Jul 4, 2005 8:17:43 PM]

DaneT, how do you time travel?

Dragonlilly,
I will learn to press preview before posting something with quote tags, one of these days...
Shanty Raid-io!
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Dragonlilly at Jan 31, 2006 11:39:20 AM]
[Jan 31, 2006 11:37:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://dragonlilly.shantyraidio.com    srdragonlilly    SO+Dragonlilly    101380420 [Link]  Go to top 
ScurvySarge

Looks like the time travel damaged his signature... =D
ManOnToilet - Crew Mem. Heian Era
Indestructible "Flurries"
"Colbat" Ocean
teh formrgovonr of Porliks Purrliu

~You're such an inspiration for the ways that I'll never ever choose to be~

Retired for now
[Jan 31, 2006 11:42:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
gordo036

Looks like the time travel damaged his signature... =D

trenscrupchion earrerz! oh noes!

Nuey
~who was wondering the same thing as DL
Nuemenor

Auzziemoo officer chats, "quite a few lazers. im pretty sure not all of them are gunning or writing a book"
Freja says, "if you survive a week - you will be ready to help us scare the next new pirate half to death"
[Jan 31, 2006 11:48:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AquaDrake

Annual bump wasn't due for another month.

(And I was just thinking of this tale yesterday).

Time travel: Some old posts have a timestamp of the forum changeover.
Maybe "historical" dragons were pterosaurs?
http://www.livescience.com/animals/090107-pterosaur-flight.html

"No plain fanfold paper could hold that fractal Puff --
He grew so fast no plotting pack could shrink him far enough.&quot
[Jan 31, 2006 8:23:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DaneT

Annual bump wasn't due for another month.

(And I was just thinking of this tale yesterday).

Time travel: Some old posts have a timestamp of the forum changeover.

You peopel sadden me by breaking the bumping tradition.

Oh, and I really did time travel. I'm actually from the future, being Australian and all.

[Feb 1, 2006 12:01:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 102   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates