• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Thread Type: Sticky Thread
Total posts in this thread: 154
Posts: 154   Pages: 6   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 91393 times and has 153 replies Next Thread
Scurvyskull9

Re: How to decide if you should start your own crew Reply to this Post

Wow. That was really, really good. I have a feeling there are probably a few premature captains who will read this and say, "I didn't need all that" . . . and there will probably be a lot of people who WERE premature captains who will be nodding their heads in agreement.

/e nods......

Im quoting a post from 2003 XD
----------------------------------------
Skullea - Now an Official Forum Tart
Skullea says, "My junk is bigger than yours."
Galene says, "It is not the size of the ship that matters. It is how well you predict your opponent's moves and how well you staff your stations.&quot
[Oct 25, 2009 1:02:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
feller27

Once ye become experienced ye can start a crew at any time. I had me experience from jobbin' an' workin' for the navy an' started me own crew without anyone else. It worked out fine, if ye know what yer doin' ye can easily make enough money to pay for yer captain badge, clothing and weapon replacements an' additional luxuries workin' with swabbies an' perhaps a few jobbers. Runnin' pillages an' doin' some profitable tradin' makes ye a fair amount o' loot, an' ye can always work for other crews if ye want some extra booty. It be quite easy to run a sloop, cutter or dhow just workin' with swabbies - so long as ye remember they don't always fight so well if ye attackin' another vessel.

A few years ago I managed to build up a decent crew without even tryin', I just looked after 'em, paid 'em well, made the crew an enjoyable thing to be a part of an' pirates were wantin' to join. Then I retired for a while and they all left, but I be plannin' to build it up again. If I can't get crew though, that doesn't matter, I do very well by meself.

One problem I've seen with crews is the commanders be always demandin' constant work where it be not needed. "GET TO A STATION," they shout, when there be nothin' that needs doin'. Another be them hiring jobbers, who work for the vessel then don't get paid for their work because there's been no battles since they arrived, or only lost battles.

One of the main reasons for startin' me own crew be because there be seemingly none that be fair an' fun to work for. Ye should always get paid for yer work, at least as much as ye'd have got workin' for the navy. Ye shouldn't have to work if it be not necessary, an' everyone should get the chance for a break, especially on long voyages. There should be shore leave at an island on long voyages, or even a short stop in the middle o' the ocean, where pirates can relax an' talk, challenge each other to games while others watch or wager on the outcome, or just go to fill up their rum flask or whatever else they need to do.

Me experience o' workin' for other crews be usually extremely long an' constant hard work, the whole time doin' a job that be not me best, when it don't even need doin'. No breaks at all, we just keep on workin' constantly until the end o' the voyage, which can sometimes last for hours.

Make yer crews FUN to be a part of. Have events, competitions, parties with prizes for games, especially for recruitin' new crewmembers. An' make yer voyages fair an' fun, not hard work.
[Oct 3, 2010 12:07:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hamsterz4

It takes 5 friends, 1 WB, and 3 sloops to get 100 members in a week.

Trust me, I did that when I was only playing for a few months.

Hellacious Hamsters in the early days.

(well, 5 months since Malachite opened and not counting my beta play time)
Mamabuns tells ye, ">.> do not talk to me"
Guess who's back... back again.
[Oct 16, 2010 6:45:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shroo921

So, I'm Shroo. I was an officer in a fairly small crew until I was demoted and left. I fit all requirements for a crew minus SF xp, 10 dubs, and captain badge. I want to create a medium sized crew to buy more ships, add more friends, ect., but I'm not sure if I should buy dubs with my last 10$.

If pie is 3.14, how much do I get ?

like we're in the mmaaaaaaatttrrriiiiiiiiixxxxxxx.
[Apr 14, 2011 9:08:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 154   Pages: 6   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates