• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 5
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 541 times and has 4 replies
monkeytyler8

The New Interface from awhile back Reply to this Post

Hey!

I stumbled upon this link and was wondering, how come it never got implemented?

I'm aware that there were some issues, but that's part of testing; to see if there are any problems. However, how come these weren't fixed?

I'll tell you right now, the interface is absolutely beautiful. I would love to hear some information as to why it never got implemented.

If possible, maybe we can try to implement it again? The current interface is waaaaay outdated with todays technology. This interface is perfect to fit it though.

Thanks!
Here's a picture of the interface from awhile back in case you don't know:
https://imgur.com/a/PCiI7
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by monkeytyler8 at Oct 23, 2017 9:44:58 AM]
[Oct 23, 2017 9:40:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sagacious

Re: The New Interface from awhile back Reply to this Post

tldr: It wasn't good to use that UI on things other than a tablet and the feedback was largely negative.

https://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/PPX
Cerulean & Meridian - Icemeister
Emerald & Obsidian - incognito!
#TeamPurple
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Sagacious at Oct 23, 2017 10:29:47 AM]
[Oct 23, 2017 10:25:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Crickket

tldr: It wasn't good to use that UI on things other than a tablet and the feedback was largely negative.

But why couldn't forculus or others fix it? That UI or whatever it is looks cool. I would of used it.
This 2003 look is dull. Sends players a bad feel like the game is to old.
[Oct 24, 2017 11:07:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

But why couldn't forculus or others fix it? That UI or whatever it is looks cool. I would of used it.
This 2003 look is dull. Sends players a bad feel like the game is to old.

Yes, the new PPX UI *looked* cool. But, the more I actually used it, the worse it was in practice. Many people are resistant to change and so early on in the public beta for PPX I stressed that people should give it a few weeks so you can adapt. Unfortunately, after using it for several weeks, I kept finding more and more serious problems with it and eventually soured on it.

For a slightly better summary, see: http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?p=2695052#2695052
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Oct 24, 2017 11:21:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

Yes, the new PPX UI *looked* cool. But, the more I actually used it, the worse it was in practice. Many people are resistant to change and so early on in the public beta for PPX I stressed that people should give it a few weeks so you can adapt. Unfortunately, after using it for several weeks, I kept finding more and more serious problems with it and eventually soured on it.

One of the big issues with the interface was that it was designed by suits in offices who didn't play the game, near as I can tell. At the very least, I suspect there was interference by Sega, who was looking for something to impact their bottom line quickly.

I suspect that it would be possible to redo the interface in a way that still works. But wholesale changes would soak up many months of programming time, which I'm not sure can be lost right now. Incremental changes might be possible, depending on how the underlying code is written, but I'm not sure incremental changes would do enough to make a difference.

Moreover, expect some HWFO each and every step of the way. I mean, if you look at a pirate page, the skills used to be arranged in a real slapdash fashion, with sails at the top, bilge and guns partway down, carp near the bottom, and the rest scattered every which way. A navigator trying to job at a specific skill level or higher had to skim the entire pirate page for the skills that mattered. I suggested (and got) the current setup, where all the pirate skills that a navigator is going to care about are at the top of the page, in the same order the ship dials have.

You would not believe the screaming, tarting, whining, and all that happened for the next two weeks. You would think that OOO drowned puppies and kicked unicorns for daring to change the order that the skills were shown in. Of course, if you were to scatter sails/carp/bilge/guns between the different stats again, the HWFO would start up again. (And probably stick around after the two-week mark, because it would make screening harder, unlike the first change, which made it easier.)
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Oct 25, 2017 1:52:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates