• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 757
Posts: 757   Pages: 26   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 112487 times and has 756 replies Next Thread
Eightycats
Developer

Have ye ever seen a kraken? Reply to this Post

The Kraken Sea Monster Hunt is now available on Ice for testing.

A Kraken Sea Monster Map is required in order to chart a course to a Kraken lair. We will increase the map spawn rate for Ice testing. Upon entering the Kraken lair, every pirate on board will be placed onto their own rowboat to navigate.

You will find a few piles of treasure scattered about the board, including deposits of mysterious Kraken eggs. Avoiding the tentacles, navigate your rowboat over these treasure spawns in order to pick up a chest or egg. Then return to the safe zone at the start of the board in order to add the treasure to the parent vessel's booty and keep it. Respawn and repeat. If a rowboat encounters a treasure chest or egg that is more valuable than the one it is currently carrying, the less valuable treasure will be thrown overboard in favor of the new one.

Row over any ink slicks on the board to collect one unit of the Kraken ink commodity. As with chests, you will need to return the ink to the safe zone in order to keep it. It is rumored that Kraken's blood can be alchemically extracted from quantities of Kraken's ink.

Rowboats can only carry one unit of ink and one treasure chest/egg at a time, though some rowboat classes are prohibited from carrying certain types of treasure at all (see below).

If your rowboat gets sunk by a tentacle, you will lose any treasure that the rowboat is carrying at the time and have to restart from the safe zone.

Battle navigation works basically the same as normal, except that the turn timer is a little faster than usual, and you will get a steady drip of free move tokens.

Rowboat types:

Rowboat - 3 moves per turn. Can carry chests/eggs and ink.
Bumper Boat - 2 moves per turn. Can take more damage than other boats. Can carry chests/eggs and ink.
Chum Boat - 3 moves per turn. Can drop chum onto the board. Chum within range will attract and distract tentacles. Can carry chests/eggs and ink.
Harpoon Boat - 3 moves per turn. Can periodically fire a harpoon. Hitting a tentacle with a harpoon will cause it to drop ink onto the board. Can carry ink. Cannot carry treasure chests/eggs.
Powder Boat - 3 moves per turn. Can periodically drop powder kegs into the water. Anything running over a powder keg, including tentacles or rowboats will be blown up and sunk. Cannot carry any treasure chests/eggs or ink.
Speed Boat - 4 moves per turn. Can take less damage than other boats. Can carry chests/eggs and ink.

Ultimately, each of these boat types will each have their own sprite in order to distinguish them. For now, the boat's label will include its type.

You can select which boat type you would like to spawn next from the menu at the bottom center of the screen.

The Kraken is not a sinking zone, so the parent vessel is not at risk, but the individual rowboats can sink, and you will currently be charged a "replacement fee" out of your personal PoE for any rowboats that you happen to smash. Should a pirate happen to run out of money for shiny new rowboats during your encounter with the Kraken, your pirate will be placed into a "Barrel" boat with only one move per turn. This fee will be waved for the purposes of testing on Ice.

Baghlahs are currently the largest ship allowed to chart their way to the Kraken.

Please feel free to post with your thoughts and any bugs or issues you may run into. Do keep in mind that this is still a work in progress. The art, sounds, costs, payouts, chest contents, trophies, and functionality are not all finalized, but we wanted to get a working Kraken in front of you in order to incorporate your feedback. Remember, what happens on Ice stays on Ice. Please limit your comments to the Ice Discussion forum.

Thank ye for helping to test our monster. We hope that ye enjoy it and that ye don't end up with too many suction cups affixed to sensitive areas of yer anatomy.
[Jun 6, 2014 11:11:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

Re: Have ye ever seen a kraken? Reply to this Post

Powder Boat - 3 moves per turn. Can periodically drop powder kegs into the water. Anything running over a powder keg, including tentacles or rowboats will be blown up and sunk. Cannot carry any treasure chests/eggs or ink.

I hope this can not be (effectively) use to sabotage players. Friendly fire right now is only a minor problem, so if powder boats are similarly nerfed, I don't see a problem.

Also, how is the treasure/kraken ink distributed? Does the bnaver of the parent ship get a big cut for just sitting there collecting stuff? Do they have control over what happens to the kraken ink? Do jobbers only get what they collect, therefore making some rowboat types a waste?

I've looked around, and I can't find any maps to do real testing, so I can only ask dumb questions for now...
----------------------------------------
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Jun 6, 2014 11:50:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Twittly

COOL *will add useful info once I test it*
~Twittly~ on "Sage" "Emerald" Ocean
Check out my gallery of other avatars
[Jun 6, 2014 11:50:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cheshire2u

What is the point of the sinking fee for the ships? The Waste of time and Sense of Failure should be payment enough to the game. This will not encourage less experienced players to participate.

Do away with the rowboat sink fee please.
Collecting standard Catfish sloops poke me if ye have one to sell please!

Looking for me? I be Cheshi of the Midnight Cerulean ocean.
[Jun 6, 2014 2:31:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jlh0605

The fee says that it would be 500 PoE if it wasn't in testing.

Very interesting setup. My question is this: what is the purpose of the two boxes if your ship can only hold one item?

Comments - it's basically super-super-super-fast cade nav. I'm not at all opposed, it's a good way to get people used to nav. I just request that there be more, lower-value items, close to the start to help those new navvers.
~Jamesh on Emerald

Galene tells ye, "You are awesome."
[Jun 6, 2014 2:51:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
Yasmi6

i would love to test it but my new laptop refuses to download testing ocean - gives me error with java....
Yasmi on Meridian

Captain of Lilith's Perfume
Princess of Imperial Coalition
(ex-Queen of Devils Advocates)

Better to reign in Hell, than to serve in Heaven...
[Jun 6, 2014 3:17:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

ok, after a grand total of one trip, here is my expert description. lol

Basically you go into a flotilla type board, with lots of kraken tentacles moving around like somewhat like a BK blockade fleet. lots of them. there is also a kraken in the deep end, but no one ever got that far. The tentacles move from square to square, I forgot to observe if they pay attention to wind/whirlpools, but I think not.

Once on the board, all pirates on the ship get thrown into tiny boats. You can choose which type of boat you want to try *next*, but can not change the one you are one now. Different boats cost different amounts to replace when you sink, then ones I was on cost 500PoE and 300PoE, but I didn't record exactly which boats cost what.

So, all the jobbers are moving around, like a blockade board with lots of ships on it. The boats do not seem to repair damage, so you hit someone, or a rock, or are too close to an explosive barrel, you get damage that you will never get rid of. If you get hit by a tentacle, you get lots of damage.

Like a good blockade, you need coordination between the boats. The trip I was on got bottle necked at the only place we could get treasure from and not get hit by tentacles. Lots of other problems with players moving into each other, and everyone trying to do their own thing.

While a bag may be the largest ship you can take into it, I would hate to see a WF full of boats trying to do something effective on the board. This restriction on ship size may just be OOO's way of saying "you don't want to do that", rather than a real limit.

I was not able to avoid the tentacles, like you can avoid CI rafts. This doesn't appear to be a situation where you can run onto the board, pick stuff up and run off.

thinking about it, it may be important to first try to clear out the tentacles via the powder barrels and harpoons, and once you have the board cleared some, you may be able to get to the treasures.

the kraken ink appears after you have hurt a tentacle with a harpoon (or powder barrel?), but it disappears quickly.

Currently, the vessel owner *does* get a cut, even though the vessel owner risks nothing and even the bnavver does nothing. I think this should change.

This seems to be a way to get lots of people out bnavving, similar to how viking raids get lots of people gunning.

The fees that the jobbers have to pay for ships could be a big problem. I can see lots of people claiming they are out of PoE, and begging. If other ship mates don't help out, everyone suffers. This may become a very exclusive environment, where only trusted jobbers get invited on a ship.

Its interesting, and I had fun, but one 30 min test really doesn't tell you much.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by wrs1864b at Jun 6, 2014 3:22:05 PM]
[Jun 6, 2014 3:18:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Belthazar451

Just to check, this means you can hold one item of treasure and one unit of ink simultaneously?
[Jun 6, 2014 3:29:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
saintdiana

as a non-navver, i'm surprised to say i love it. apart from the fee, which everyone will hate while they're learning (why not 1 poe? or 5 poe? something you don't notice, but that over all the ocean's population will eventually add up). our team got to the kraken, it was fun :). i honestly think this is something to call back pirates we've lost to other games. brilliant.
~ owlwhisperer ~
[Jun 6, 2014 4:12:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
budclare2

I assume sinking your barrel gives you a shot at an injury, in which case the sinking fee might be an attempt to discourage people from going in to sink on purpose, not bothering to even try to bring stuff back for the ship...especially since they might still win stuff for slacking off. :(

(Hopefully each time you make it back to the ship increases your odds, so that people who don't come back at all don't have much chance of getting the good stuff.)

/e wishes she could help test, but is holding out for plum boxes
Budclare on Meridian

I want a cookie.

(Imp turned me into a dolly! :D)
[Jun 6, 2014 4:28:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Eightycats
Developer

Thanks for all your feedback so far. We've seen a few bugs already. A few unfortunate pirates were ending up in Barrel boats, which shouldn't be happening on Ice, and we've had a few desync's. I think I know what is causing these problems, and we'll try to get a patch out this evening.

To answer some of your questions:

What is the point of the sinking fee for the ships?

The point of the rowboat fee is that the parent ship is not at risk of sinking, and so there needs to be some sort of cost to offset that. The current system is meant to reward better gameplay. It also trades off the risk of going deeper into the board for better treasure vs. the chance and expense of sinking.

We have been debating several different alternatives to this system including the possibility of an extra "Oarsman Badge" that grants access to the special rowboats (and the default rowboat would always be free) and/or the addition a "lifeboat" commodity that would need to be stocked on the ship and consumed as an entrance cost or some other fixed entrance fee. We're open to other suggestions of how best to go about this.

My question is this: what is the purpose of the two boxes if your ship can only hold one item?

Aye, you're right. The little "booty boxes" still need some love. There's no point showing a box for a treasure that the current boat can't carry. We'll also try to make it more clear what is meant to show up in each of those boxes, even when they're empty.

You can choose which type of boat you want to try *next*, but can not change the one you are one now. Different boats cost different amounts to replace when you sink, then ones I was on cost 500PoE and 300PoE, but I didn't record exactly which boats cost what.

You should be able to navigate your boat back to the safe zone and get a replacement boat of any type for free. It should only charge you when you actually sink, but if not, then that's a bug we need to fix. The default Rowboat is 300 PoE, and all of the other rowboat classes are 500 PoE at the moment.

Currently, the vessel owner *does* get a cut, even though the vessel owner risks nothing and even the bnavver does nothing. I think this should change.

Agreed. Updating the divvy of the Kraken treasures is still on our TODO list. We'll either adjust this payout, or possibly offset this by collecting an entrance cost from the ship's coffers or hold.

Just to check, this means you can hold one item of treasure and one unit of ink simultaneously?

Aye. That's correct.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Eightycats at Jun 6, 2014 4:34:05 PM]
[Jun 6, 2014 4:30:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
EmpressTamar

Yes that is correct. One of each.

I really liked this, despite my hate for navving. Would be interesting to see what strategy people develop for the new SMH, and what type of ship turns out most useful. I'm thinking medium to small size ships... hmmm.

What I liked
-friendly ram does not do damage
-everyone gets to nav and choose their own type of ship
-how each type of ship can work together

What I disliked
-ships are too fragile, especially for deeper zones
-too high of a cost to replace sunken ships
-barrel is completely useless (which I suppose is sort of the point?)
-vessel owner gets too high of a restock cut. This should be extremely minimal, only to replace rum and map cost. There is no danger to the ship sinking at all.

[edit] Perhaps a lower fee for sinking and not charging for your ship when you return to the SZ. Currently when you bring treasure aboard it charges you as if you'd sunk.
[edit2] Currently everyone gets paid the same. If someone only stays for one entry they get paid just like everyone who stayed for four entries. Also, someone could just stay in the safezone and get paid just for being there. Here's a thought. Everyone needs to contribute a fee set by the navver to enter the board. Then the team gets a number of ships based on the total fees collected. (Not on the board all at once, everyone gets one ship and the rest are "backup" for when someone sinks.) When the ships are used up, everyone exits the map.
[edit3] Special maneuvers and heal spots? Also payout seemed a little low for how much we would've paid in sunken ships, however since it was our first time I'm sure we all sucked lol.
Empresstamar of Emerald.
Yppedia page

Gorgeous avatar by by Scythera <3
[Edit 3 times, last edit by EmpressTamar at Jun 6, 2014 5:24:16 PM]
[Jun 6, 2014 4:32:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ryujinpp

some observations / bug reports ...

1. the tentacles can enter safezone and push our boats around

2. when a player logouts while in there, their name still shows on vessel and even though they are not physically present on the ship, they do take up a spot as if they are still there

3. each players are assigned random boat on entry.. which they can change only by leaving the board and reentering (but they have to select the boat type before exiting).. perhaps allow players to select boat type when it is still in the safezone? rather than forcing a random choice on them upon entry

regarding booty divvy ...

1. inks collected goes to the hold, presumably for vessel owner to convert into KB.. jobbers wont get a share of that unless owner adds poe into booty for divvy; the way its been practiced when one wins KB during pillage

2. nonsinking environment, no risk to vessel owner but i get vessel owner's chests on divvy.. while jobbers have to pay from own pocket while playing in there (currently free during test).. very wrong.. i thought for once the game will have something that doesnt make vessel owner richer at the expense of jobbers

3. divvy doesnt show how many segments each player participated

base on the current setup of the kraken content, may i suggest that everything in the booty be divided equally to everyone on the ship (based on segments spent) and there be zero restock cut and also zero for vessel owner
Galene tells ye, "I reserve the right to not deliver prizes to you anymore in the future :P"
Galene tells ye, "You crashed me 6 times!"

Ryujin on all oceans
[Jun 6, 2014 5:07:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://www.facebook.com/PuzzlePirates [Link]  Go to top 
saintdiana

The point of the rowboat fee is that the parent ship is not at risk of sinking, and so there needs to be some sort of cost to offset that.

you're trying to prevent too large a poe fountain. i'm concerned about griefing, because we won't always be jobbing with friends. new players, who've never bnaved in their lives and who find a regular battle turn too short to decide what to do, will be especially vulnerable. a badge could work. or a sort of exit customs fee, based on what you actually got, not on how many times you died getting it. or let us buy the boat in the sy. collect them all or get your favourite - lasts whatever you wish. 2 weeks, 30 days. yeah, i'd like a rowboat in my inventory. the gunpowder one ;p.
~ owlwhisperer ~
[Jun 6, 2014 5:27:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

What if players would have to purchase a special booty item which they could redeem, one item for one ride in a rowboat, etc.

This is just an idea based on the suggestion of commodity items loaded on the ship, combined with the need for personal risk to jobbers.
Retired as of August 2015.
2 Timothy 4:7
[Edit 2 times, last edit by LJAmethyst at Jun 6, 2014 5:35:54 PM]
[Jun 6, 2014 5:34:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

Ok, kraken ink:

Kraken ink is a commodity, I think it is classified as a basic commod like wood, stone, etc. Right now, I can't find anyone buying it.

30 kraken ink (and a little labor) can be used by an apoth to make one kraken blood. (I'm sure the amount can be changed) So, at current KB prices on Cerulean, each kraken ink is worth 500-700PoE.

like all commodities won, it is up to the bnavver to decide if they give the jobbers anything for it. They often give nothing for commods, including kb, or they give a token amount, or they sell to certain stores that they favor. This will be a large source of income for the bnavver, far larger than they are risking even if they made zero bnavver cut and the vessel owner gets nothing.
[Jun 6, 2014 5:48:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
saintdiana

i've been wondering how to make the inventory rowboat compatible with what happens on the map.. would it be copyright infringement if the map were upside down, sort of standing on the other side of the water surface? if, instead of sinking, it toppled your rowboat the right side up, and you had to re-enter?
~ owlwhisperer ~
[Jun 6, 2014 6:02:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
amartino

as a non-navver, i'm surprised to say i love it. apart from the fee, which everyone will hate while they're learning (why not 1 poe? or 5 poe? something you don't notice, but that over all the ocean's population will eventually add up). our team got to the kraken, it was fun :). i honestly think this is something to call back pirates we've lost to other games. brilliant.

so you got to the Kraken , and ... and????

DO TELL!

this looks like it's gonna be a blast
Piecesoeight on Meridian

Don't waste your time
Or time will waste you

================
[Jun 6, 2014 6:17:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
EmpressTamar

so you got to the Kraken , and ... and???? DO TELL!

"mother kraken"

blown up with powder

respawned in 3-4 turns
Empresstamar of Emerald.
Yppedia page

Gorgeous avatar by by Scythera <3
[Jun 6, 2014 6:24:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jimisailor

This environment is the most fun I've had in puzzle pirates since I started 9 years ago, even with the bugs and all! I've been looking for a multi-ship environment that doesn't take loads of players for a long time now.

I love the variation of the rowboats and I believe they are fairly balanced.

In our trip we managed to topple the main Kraken which got rid of all the tentacles for about two turns. I feel that the downtime should be a little longer.
Also, sometimes when defeating a tentacle there would be no ink leftover, and if it did, it only lasted for a turn or two. Sometimes this isn't enough time to turn a ship around to get it.

Ramming against rocks gives significant damage with no way to heal. One ram from a tentacle would sink most of the weaker rowboats right away. This, coupled with the fee of sinking, makes the cost of doing these steep.

I didn't get to test for long but I am excited at how this environment will turn out! Great job so far devs!
Jimisailor on Meridian and Emerald
Cain on Ice
[Jun 6, 2014 6:29:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    dajimirocks [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

What is the point of the sinking fee for the ships? The Waste of time and Sense of Failure should be payment enough to the game. This will not encourage less experienced players to participate.

Personally, I found this to be a wonderful balance between letting new players in at all (how many proficient-at-best players actually get into a sea monster lair on a regular basis already?), and making it totally risk free. Most new players that have bravery badges got those badges with cash purchases, so they have doubloons to dump on the market for PoE if needed-- and they're actually getting a sea monster lair that they can get invited into. So long as those rowboat replacements aren't that all that expensive (1k or under, and no doubloon fees, please), it's not all that expensive in real life to buy a replacement-- about 12 cents if the replacement is 1k, 6 cents if it's 500 PoE.

Oh, and people get to get their navigating fix this way, too.
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Jun 6, 2014 6:48:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

Agreed. Updating the divvy of the Kraken treasures is still on our TODO list. We'll either adjust this payout, or possibly offset this by collecting an entrance cost from the ship's coffers or hold.

If you change the vessel owner's cut, and you please please please pretty please with sugar on top also change the owner's cut for other sea monster lairs, too? The VO is, IMO, the biggest cause for all the overjobbing and whatnot that means that most sea monster runs take at least half an hour to start, and often take over an hour just for jobbing. And I speak this as a most-of-the-time navigator. I make too much of the loot in comparison to my jobbers. They deserve more of the chests.

(The solution I've recommended for a long time was to increase the PoE percentage for any sinking situation (including sinking flotillas) instead of chests to compensate the owner. That's what he's risking after all.)
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Jun 6, 2014 7:00:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

So, all the jobbers are moving around, like a blockade board with lots of ships on it. The boats do not seem to repair damage, so you hit someone, or a rock, or are too close to an explosive barrel, you get damage that you will never get rid of. If you get hit by a tentacle, you get lots of damage.

I really, really hope this changes. Incidental damage happens; being able to overcome minor dings is fairly important for getting deeper into any sea monster lair. Repair doesn't have to be fast, just enough to overcome minor issues.

Possibly have small islands you can beach at and do a quick blacksmithing session, to fix the thing? (Construction/furnishing would fit better, thematically, but we don't have those puzzles yet.)

--------------------------

We have been debating several different alternatives to this system including the possibility of an extra "Oarsman Badge" that grants access to the special rowboats (and the default rowboat would always be free)

Please, no. We have enough badges already.

and/or the addition a "lifeboat" commodity that would need to be stocked on the ship and consumed as an entrance cost or some other fixed entrance fee. We're open to other suggestions of how best to go about this.

This has possibilities, though. Let me throw this idea out: set it up so that you have unlimited regular rowboats for a specific amount of time, and can get special rowboats every so often during that time period. At the end of the period, boats stop spawning, or at least slow down. People can still sail in the rowboats they have, but can't get more.

For example: Junk enters with 18 on board. They get a starting kit with
unlimited rowboats
5 bumper boats
5 chum boats
5 harpoon boats
4 powder boats
4 speed boats

Players jump into 3 rowboats, 3 bumper boats, 5 chum boats, 3 harpoon boats, 3 powder boats, and 1 speedboat, leaving
unlimited rowboats
2 bumper boats
0 chum boats
2 harpoon boats
1 powder boats
3 speed boats

After three minutes, the main ship readies another chum boat. So someone sinking in the first three minutes can pick anything but the chum boat. Let's assume, for a moment, that someone sinks after a bare two minutes. He can't get into a chum boat, so he hops into the last powder boat. The new setup:
unlimited rowboats
2 bumper boats
0 chum boats
2 harpoon boats
0 powder boats
3 speed boats

One minute later, a chum boat is readied:
unlimited rowboats
2 bumper boats
1 chum boats
2 harpoon boats
0 powder boats
3 speed boats

Two minutes after that (three minutes since the powder boat was taken out), a new powder boat is readied:
2 bumper boats
1 chum boats
2 harpoon boats
1 powder boats
3 speed boats

Shortly thereafter, the crew has a strong streak of bad luck, and loses fives boats at once. The sailors grab both remaining harpoon boats, 2 speed boats, and a powder boat:
2 bumper boats
1 chum boats
0 harpoon boats
0 powder boats
1 speed boats

Three minutes after that, a new harpoon and a new powder boat spawn. And so on.

Then, suppose that an hour after entering, it looks like this:
1 bumper boats
0 chum boats
1 harpoon boats
1 powder boats
1 speed boats

At this point, new boats stop spawning. The players now have:
unlimited barrels
9 rowboats
1 bumper boats
0 chum boats
1 harpoon boats
1 powder boats
1 speed boats
And as these ships get lost, they don't get replaced, except the barrels. At a certain point, the captain calls everyone back to the main ship.

If you want more flexibility in how long people can stay in, have multiple longship packages-- the longer the time, the more the package costs. And as an aside... if you make the package costs variable, then you can modify, as needed, to balance out the risk:reward potential.

Or, if you want to throw a bone to the shopkeepers, have the longship package something you buy from a furnisher, possibly with them "subcontracting"* portions over to other shops. (Shipyards already get enough extra from LE ships; furnishers have been hating life these last few years, that's why I chose them over shipyards.)

* "Subcontracting" example: A cutter/dhow/fanchuan longship package would take 160 wood, 50 iron, 30 varnish (apothecary), 4 chum kits (new item from an apothecary), 4 harpoon kits (new item, iron monger), 4 powder kits (new item, apothecary), and 20 sail cloth (weavery).

---------
Wow, that went longer than I expected.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by xelto at Jun 6, 2014 8:26:33 PM]
[Jun 6, 2014 8:22:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
saintdiana

why don't you join the testing and see that the kraken returns everyone to the main ship after half an hour? and that different ship types appeal to different people, and forcing someone to pick something they're not comfortable with will detract from their enjoyment. i would much prefer a NB bubble to say "harpoon wielder needed", and someone owning said rowboat to apply, than losing earned poe (not everyone pokers) because someone's move lagged and you end up forwarding a rock. if an option is decided on that allows someone's bad luck, lag or incompetence to hurt others, it will be just another activity that favours the top players. contrarily, if there is a measure of protection, it can become an excellent learning environment.
~ owlwhisperer ~
[Jun 6, 2014 8:47:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PracticalM

Ramming against rocks gives significant damage with no way to heal. One ram from a tentacle would sink most of the weaker rowboats right away. This, coupled with the fee of sinking, makes the cost of doing these steep.

Raming against rocks sinking you changes how ramming against rocks works in all other environments. Sure the boats are smaller but sinking when you hit a rock yourself isn't fun.

I'm not really seeing why there is a fee for the boats. In a timed environment sinking at all is a penalty because that hurts the entire ship as the trip is less profitable. A griefing player can just drop powder kegs right around the start to cause others to lose eights.

So far experience is really laggy. I had many turns repeat and then eventually correct. This prevented me from loading the moves for next turn and then the timer would be too close to the end to get all my moves in.

Timer for each turn is too short if you need to try to plan even if you are using a voice system, let alone trying to chat.
Silverstache
Prince of Otherworld
Senior Officer and Drunk of Mad Mutineers
[Jun 6, 2014 10:07:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Oldwater1

I've yet to test this personally, but it sounds great!
Why not have the Vessel Owner/Naver/CO place PoE aside for ship replacements? Similar to a war chest, or is it feared in that doing this may lead to selective jobbing? Which with friendly fire/easy damage and nowhere to repair, this may occur anyway...
If the fees were 100-250 PoE/ship, I personally wouldn't filter jobbers and would gladly pay for replacement ships. The greater the investment, the longer could be spent inside. Maybe the rafts could take on water and sink reguardless after so many turns (without repair).
Or perhaps it is hoped that the CO would willingly reimburse jobbers after a successful run?
If the CO pays for replacement vessels, then they are risking something and would be more deserving of a cut? There MUST be incentive on the COs part, not just the jobbers. If no one wants to run them, then it won't benefit the jobbers anyway... I'll be back once I'm fully awake/have tested it. :P
Oldwater the Emeraldian
SO of The Chat Boochers
Prince of Slightly Pixilated

[Jun 6, 2014 10:49:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.facebook.com/oldwater.luminin [Link]  Go to top 
Eljonno4

I've yet to test this personally, but it sounds great!
Why not have the Vessel Owner/Naver/CO place PoE aside for ship replacements? Similar to a war chest, or is it feared in that doing this may lead to selective jobbing? Which with friendly fire/easy damage and nowhere to repair, this may occur anyway...
If the fees were 100-250 PoE/ship, I personally wouldn't filter jobbers and would gladly pay for replacement ships. The greater the investment, the longer could be spent inside. Maybe the rafts could take on water and sink reguardless after so many turns (without repair).
Or perhaps it is hoped that the CO would willingly reimburse jobbers after a successful run?
If the CO pays for replacement vessels, then they are risking something and would be more deserving of a cut? There MUST be incentive on the COs part, not just the jobbers. If no one wants to run them, then it won't benefit the jobbers anyway... I'll be back once I'm fully awake/have tested it. :P

Paying for the ships wouldnt be of profit specially with how easy it is to sink them, if anything we would be in the black, it wouldnt be worth it at moment how it is and i certainly wouldnt bother running any of these if the runner had to pay for it all, would be seriously costly so this would need to be thought of very carefully, possibly since it doesnt take rum maybe when a ship sinks it uses 1 rum? which owner does pay for but is a lot lesser amount than current poe and possibly more worth while.?
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Eljonno4 at Jun 7, 2014 2:03:29 AM]
[Jun 7, 2014 2:00:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemesis
OceanMaster

Clotho and I like our Sea Monsters and we're really good at breaking things *hangs head*, so we're going to get in some kraken action and see if we can put the hurt on that thing! We're going to need some help from pirates willing to give constructive feedback in this thread that currently have access to Ice. Space is limited, but all you need to do is show up* and we'll try to get you aboard. We'll be on Ice 4pm-6pm Saturday (tonight) and 8am-10am Sunday.**

*You can send me a quick message through the Forum (linky!) or catch me in game if you want to let us know you'll be stopping by. We won't hold you a place on the ship but it'd give us an idea of who to watch for/how many ships to prepare.
**Depending on server availability. We'll update with new times if a problem arises.

Hera says, "I wish I was awesome enough to be on #TeamEvil!"
Later...
Hera says, "And the sorry thing is, I can't remember if I said, or didn't say, that."
----------------------------
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Nemesis at Jun 7, 2014 4:21:35 AM]
[Jun 7, 2014 3:59:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
army545

I really like this new unique feature you're adding to PP.

I like how you finally can team, without playing a puzzle game like swordfighting/rumble like in SMH or CI.

I love how the booty depends on the players, and not just the bnaver, to sink it, like in CI, but in this game, you know what you're going to get, and it's not random like in CI's forage.

This is actually very unique, but I really hate the fact that you have to pay to get the boat again.

Things I think you should add:

It does get boring at some points, where all we need to do is collect the booty, kill these kraken hands/the kraken for ink, I think you should add a feature like citadels, but instead, all should get around the kraken and battle with the kraken's crew in sword fighting or whatever it will be, but it's just an idea.

Looking to test it ;)
[Jun 7, 2014 6:05:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
saintdiana

It does get boring at some points, where all we need to do is collect the booty, kill these kraken hands/the kraken for ink, I think you should add a feature like citadels, but instead, all should get around the kraken and battle with the kraken's crew in sword fighting or whatever it will be, but it's just an idea.

i only got bored when the map was too crowded (baghlah). you spend so much time going "please, after you", that it loses dynamism. otherwise, the time limit can make it interesting to gather as much as you can until what i imagine to be a tidal wave pushes everyone out.

don't we have enough sf? again with the elite business. i don't want to see boarders either. something citadel-like that happens only sometimes would be good, but it needs variation. good place to sneak in another puzzle (construction or furnishing, as someone said).
~ owlwhisperer ~
[Jun 7, 2014 6:18:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 757   Pages: 26   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates