• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 305
Posts: 305   Pages: 11   [ First Page | Previous Page | 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 107771 times and has 304 replies Next Thread
Meridien

Re: Puzzle Pirates Trade Profiteer Reply to this Post

Just thought I'd say I installed PPTP on my laptop today and it works perfectly. The only significant difference between that and my desktop is the laptop is Win7 home premium 64, whereas the desktop is Win7 pro 64. Don't know if that should make a difference or not.

The other thing is that PP on the laptop has been reinstalled since I upgraded java last, whereas on the desktop it hasn't, although since the db seems to be populating okay (market summary shows the data) it seems that communication between PP and PPTP is okay.

I'm wondering if your database file didn't get properly created. Try deleting the database file (in your My Documents folder under "Colony West Software Company\Trade Profiteer") and allowing the Trade Profiteer to recreate it.

Haven't had access to the desktop for a while, but will certainly try this.

Regards,
Erudite
[Sep 14, 2011 2:18:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Brandishwar

Just thought I'd say I installed PPTP on my laptop today and it works perfectly. The only significant difference between that and my desktop is the laptop is Win7 home premium 64, whereas the desktop is Win7 pro 64. Don't know if that should make a difference or not.

Yeah that is odd. The two shouldn't be having a difference, and if the data is being pulled into the Trade Profiteer, then it should be searchable and should be bringing in results in the Buyer/Seller tabs at a minimum -- Island to Island tabs will of course depend on whether profitable trades exist.

Before deleting the database, e-mail it to me so I can have a look at it and see that the offers are being properly stored off. I'll also be able to determine if the problem is actually the database structure. I'll send you a PM with my contact information.
----------------------------------------
On Viridian as Arcturis, Captain of The Rum Running Dragons and King of Demons and Damsels
[Sep 14, 2011 8:44:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Brandishwar

Well I was able to reproduce the issue you reported and I'm working on a fix. The issue, I believe, was the language settings on your computer. When I set the language and region on a virtual machine to reflect Australia (your e-mail address gave away your country), it revealed an underlying issue with how I was attempting to format numbers. As this same issue exists in multiple areas of the Trade Profiteer, multiple changes are needed, but this fix will be in the next release so keep an eye out for the "New version" alert.
On Viridian as Arcturis, Captain of The Rum Running Dragons and King of Demons and Damsels
[Sep 20, 2011 12:17:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Brandishwar

New version: 2.0.1510

This version should alleviate some crash bugs that have been getting sent in. Unfortunately those crash reports were literally all over the place with nothing obvious going on, but I think the issue was due to how I was implementing the database library -- i.e. not the right options for how it was being used. So hopefully the Trade Profiteer will be more stable now.

Also, in case you haven't seen it Meridien, the issue you reported is fixed as well.
[Oct 10, 2011 8:47:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Meridien

Also, in case you haven't seen it Meridien, the issue you reported is fixed as well.

Thank ye....will give it a try.
[Oct 11, 2011 12:54:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Brandishwar

RedSeaWench has alerted me to a potential auto-detect issue for the Midnight Ocean:

* Lagniappe Island
* Xi Island

You will notice that the name of the Commodity Market building is the same on these two islands: "Black Market". As such to prevent an auto-detection conflict, for both of these two islands, you will need to use the palace or some other shoppe instead of the commodity market as the auto-detect shoppe.

To clear the currently set shoppe, go to the Data Manager (Islands tab is the first tab so it should be displayed), select these islands and click the Reset button to clear the current auto-detect shoppe for those islands. Then go to each island and re-import the data for that island to set a new auto-detect shoppe. Again for each of these islands do not use the name "Black Market" as the auto-detect shoppe.

It is possible such a conflict could exist on other islands, so if you notice data being imported for an island is being attached to a different island than the one you are on, chances are there may be a shoppe name conflict between the islands in question.
[Oct 18, 2011 9:39:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RedSeaWitch

Yep that worked. Thanks, Brandishwar
Windwench
Hags of the Wicked Winds, Cerulean
Collecting Hake & Hagfish
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
HS on Viri:
Captain shouts, for heaven's sake, don't leave th :P
Jobber says, you don't hear that yelled too often
[Oct 18, 2011 10:37:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    kundry.rm    kundryyyy    3761215 [Link]  Go to top 
KazWasHere

Ahoy.
I just tried out this program, and at first I was impressed with it. Almost immediately after importing market data from two islands, it gave me excellent trade options, and I was quite pleased with it. Then on the third time, though, the whole shebang crashed, fatal error, Trade Profiteer must close, etc etc. Confused, I started it back up, went to another island, imported that data, and it did it again. Seems like there might be a glitch in the programming somewhere, cause all I'm doing is going into markets and clicking import. Anyone else have this issue?
[Oct 31, 2011 11:41:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Brandishwar

Kaz,

I'm aware of the issue and I've been looking into it. Unfortunately I don't have a fix quite yet as I'm still trying to pinpoint what is causing this.

Ahoy.
I just tried out this program, and at first I was impressed with it. Almost immediately after importing market data from two islands, it gave me excellent trade options, and I was quite pleased with it. Then on the third time, though, the whole shebang crashed, fatal error, Trade Profiteer must close, etc etc. Confused, I started it back up, went to another island, imported that data, and it did it again. Seems like there might be a glitch in the programming somewhere, cause all I'm doing is going into markets and clicking import. Anyone else have this issue?

[Oct 31, 2011 12:18:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
KazWasHere

Thanks for the prompt response, and I apologize if this has been brought to your attention multiple times. As you might have guessed from the previous post, this program excites me, as trading is easily one of my favorite parts of the game, and your program adds an excellent level to it.
[Oct 31, 2011 10:54:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gianna1

i still get problems when i want to inport the market into the app
it says i don't have a window connected to PPTP
help me out pls i want to use it but i can't atm
greetings
Donkiekong on "Emerald Ocean"
Senior Officer of "shipwrecked"
[Nov 5, 2011 8:27:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Brandishwar

New release: 2.0.1610

This should take care of some of the stability issues -- namely the random crash on importing data. I think I've found the root cause of it, but let me know if it keeps crashing on you. Also be sure to send in the crash reports when it happens.

Gianna1, I'm still looking into the issue you are experiencing. I'm so far not able to reproduce it, so I have no idea why the Java component is not starting up for you. I may need to have an interactive support session with you at some point -- I'll PM the details to you if that becomes necessary.

Thanks for the prompt response, and I apologize if this has been brought to your attention multiple times. As you might have guessed from the previous post, this program excites me, as trading is easily one of my favorite parts of the game, and your program adds an excellent level to it.

[Nov 10, 2011 7:11:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gianna1

for some odd reason i can use this app now but sometimes it crashes on me. to just close it and restart the program helps. this is only a minor setback and you don't have to move heaven and earth to fix it

th again for this nice app
greetings
Donkiekong on "Emerald Ocean"
Senior Officer of "shipwrecked"
[Nov 12, 2011 10:23:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Brandishwar

New version: 2.0.1625

Changes:

Crash issues should hopefully be completely resolved now.
New option under the Help menu called "Copy Java Runtime", which will run the copyjre program that creates a copy of the Java Runtime Environment set up for the Trade Profiteer

The latter change comes in handy if you keep get an error message that no instances of Puzzle Pirates could be found. If it throws back an error message, then I can help you with that, which I think is the cause of that issue.
[Nov 25, 2011 6:45:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Brandishwar

New version: 2.0.1628

Changes:

Corrected issue with "Copy Java Runtime" menu option.

Added error message display in the Java component. If you're one of the ones having problems getting the Trade Profiteer working, hopefully this will provide an idea as to what might be going on...
[Nov 28, 2011 9:25:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RedSeaWitch

Still issues. Check PM.
Windwench
HS on Viri:
[Nov 29, 2011 9:40:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    kundry.rm    kundryyyy    3761215 [Link]  Go to top 
Realjuan

Started using this, and hopefully I will be able to merge with excel.
Latinboy
"Ten cuidado con el pirate del caribe, vamo' a ve' si tu tienes calibre" Daddy Yankee

"Gratitude is a duty which ought to be paid, but which none have a right to expect" Jean Jacque Rousseau
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Realjuan at Nov 30, 2011 2:06:48 AM]
[Nov 30, 2011 1:49:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Brandishwar

And what are you expecting to be able to do by merging with Excel? You can highlight and copy/paste cells out of the various tabs in the Trade Profiteer. Is there something more you're wanting?
[Nov 30, 2011 1:38:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Meridien

And what are you expecting to be able to do by merging with Excel? You can highlight and copy/paste cells out of the various tabs in the Trade Profiteer. Is there something more you're wanting?

I know I used to use the "export" function of PPTP to track market prices over time. Opening the data in excel I had a macro that removed my own stalls buy/sell information, and sorted/consolidated the remaining data giving me low sell and high buy prices for each commodity. It then wrote the data to a table with the date, and I could chart price fluctuations for any commodity you cared to name.

There were a few hiccups in the automation - firstly when a particular commodity didn't appear it would throw the data entry off and I found I had to manually move the cells under the missing entry back into line (never found a workaround for that, but my excel skills are hardly cutting edge!). Secondly, there was a strange situation with older PPTP iterations that it would only export sell data for stalls that also had a buy offer (or maybe I've got that round the wrong way...can't really remember).

As I haven't run a stall in quite some time, I haven't even checked whether the latest PPTP has an export function, but as a shop owner it was a huge boon. Perhaps someone wants to do a spinoff application that will do the sorts of things I've outlined here?

Erudite on Viridian
[Nov 30, 2011 11:23:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Realjuan

Well I am not 100% sure this is the "good" way to do it. When I want to update my shops offers for stuff, I check the highest reasonable, and that more than 1 person is offering, to set my new values. So if I could run PPTP and get those restrains work in excell it would be a gain. This would be phase one.

Second phase is that some (highest) prices go up and down, and I want to make a record and see what was the lowest/highest and average. I would have to keep record of the prices, but I will not like to have to do it by hand every single day, but just get PPTP to check prices. Excel sheets copy, then looks for highest, etc.

I may have an idea how to do it, but will only be able to work on it this weekend.

Thanks

(note: I am trying to get a nice wrapper for excel, and do a few formulas in it. I really think that if someone integrates your program with a spreadsheet you got a whole new market )
Latinboy
"Ten cuidado con el pirate del caribe, vamo' a ve' si tu tienes calibre" Daddy Yankee

"Gratitude is a duty which ought to be paid, but which none have a right to expect" Jean Jacque Rousseau
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Realjuan at Dec 1, 2011 12:27:28 AM]
[Dec 1, 2011 12:24:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
reesyann

I just downloaded PPTP a week ago and I am in the beginning stages of learning to use it. So far so good, that is until the last update, now it crashes every time I try to import data. I am going to delete it and reinstall hoping that will take care of the problem. Any other suggestions?
Reddythered tells you "you idiot"

Thank you! I love it.
[Dec 1, 2011 8:38:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Brandishwar

I did come across an issue where the Trade Profiteer will crash if you try to import data and you are not logged into Puzzle Pirates. There is another issue as well wherein I think I have an idea of what is going on, but I'm going to be incorporating some logging capability to see if I can track that down.

But to import the data you need to be logged into Y!PP (this will at least keep it from crashing) and looking at the commodity market -- this can be on a ship, in a shoppe, or through a government building. There is no other permissible way of getting the market data.

I just downloaded PPTP a week ago and I am in the beginning stages of learning to use it. So far so good, that is until the last update, now it crashes every time I try to import data. I am going to delete it and reinstall hoping that will take care of the problem. Any other suggestions?

[Dec 1, 2011 9:59:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
reesyann

I was logged on and in the Commodities market on Cnossos, Midnight ocean, when this happened

Thank you! I love it.
[Dec 1, 2011 7:32:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
marundel

I work on a computer owned by my company, and don't have permissions to install software. Is there any chance that there is a web-based version of the program out there that I can use without having to do an install? Thanks
Pizzahutpete on the Cerulean Ocean
Prince, Super Awesomeness
SO, Boochin' Drunks

Pizzahutpete everywhere, thanks to the merge
[Dec 3, 2011 8:19:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.thehomebrewstore.com    meadbrewer [Link]  Go to top 
Brandishwar

Since this thread has been relatively quiet, let me post some updates to a couple issues.

Thanks to assistance from RedSeaWitch (Windwench on Midnight), I've been able to figure out what is going on with regard to why the Java component for the Trade Profiteer is not working for some people. Now that I have a idea of the problem, I can move forward with trying to find a solution. I have been unable to reproduce the problem, so I'm having to work with RSW on this issue, and I'm very thankful that she is willing to be the guinea pig through this process.

As soon as I have a fully working fix, I'll be posting an update.

But the big news is the upcoming ocean mergers. What does this mean for the Trade Profiteer? Not much. I will be creating and posting an update patch for existing databases that will do all the necessary data manipulation. There isn't much involved -- only two tables will be modified and the process should be relatively quick.

If you don't want to run the patch, then you'll have the option of deleting your current database and creating a brand new one.

If you have any questions about the upcoming merger and its affect on the Trade Profiteer or about the Trade Profiteer in general, let me know.
[Dec 20, 2011 9:56:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
reesyann

I hope the fix you are working on is the one I need. I had just started using your program and I really liked it.

Thank you! I love it.
[Dec 21, 2011 8:03:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Brandishwar

Looking at the crash dumps that have been coming in, I believe the next release will fix the issue you are seeing.

Beyond this, I have managed to get RedSeaWitch up and running. Still not sure what was going on, but what she did was uninstall the Trade Profiteer and Puzzle Pirates, then reinstall both. Not sure exactly what was going on, but it got her running. So if you've been getting a message that Puzzle Pirates cannot be detected, it's one thing for you to try.

I'll be churning out another release soon. I just have a ton of diagnostic code to remove first. There is a logging feature that I will likely be leaving in the Trade Profiteer application (as opposed to the Java component) as that can help in diagnosing future problems you may run into.

I will also be releasing a database patch in time for the merger testing that starts on January 4th.
[Dec 22, 2011 9:22:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RedSeaWitch

YAY! What he said... no more trader withdrawal :)

one more thing, I did though: cleaning the registry to remove orphan files, both from Y!PP and PPTP.

(if you need a registry cleaning program, I can recommend Auslogics Registry Cleaner, a free program).
Windwench
HS on Viri:
[Dec 22, 2011 9:26:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    kundry.rm    kundryyyy    3761215 [Link]  Go to top 
pn55406

Mac friendly version?
Blakbead of the Meridian
-----------------------------------------------------
Avatar brought to you by Cattrin
[Jan 5, 2012 4:52:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Brandishwar

So what's new on the Trade Profiteer? Not much.

With the ocean merger coming up soon, I will be releasing a program to patch your existing databases separately from the new version of the Trade Profiteer that will support the new merged oceans. There are actually no code changes necessary to support the new oceans, just database changes, so the next version of the Trade Profiteer will be optional to those using the current version that is available as the only change being distributed is an updated database definition.

But speaking of the patch, how will it affect your database? Well it won't be doing much. All it'll be doing is defining the archipelagos under the combined oceans; renaming Midnight, Viridian and Sage to the new combined names; and getting rid of the oceans being removed. Nothing else will change. Nothing else will be touched, except for the current ocean option, which will be updated if your current ocean is Cobalt, Hunter or Malachite.

On the other fronts, I've got a new feature idea under design. I'll be filling in more details when the time approaches for it.

On the Mac front, I currently do not have access to a Macintosh. I've tested the Windows version with Wine under Linux, so I know it is functional there and should be reasonably compatible (cannot fully guarantee compatibility, though). And after the merger I'm going to be making changes to my release process to start spawning a package for Linux, once I get all the installation details hashed out.

As for Macs, I know that while Wine is not officially supported on Mac OS X, there are packages available compatible with it. If someone with the technical knowledge wants to assist me in creating a Wine-compatible release package for Macs, I'm open to the idea. As for a native Mac version, until I can get my hands on a Mac or MacBook, I can't do anything toward that front right now.
[Jan 20, 2012 11:33:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 305   Pages: 11   [ First Page | Previous Page | 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates