• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 32
Posts: 32   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 20671 times and has 31 replies Next Thread
jhkh90

Holloween Banaza Mystery Prizes Reply to this Post

I do not know where to post this , but the OM said i should voice my opinion on the forums . Im hoping all the other disappointed Pirates see this and add to it as well .

I just made a dub purchase to participate in the Bananza and to my disappointment i find my mystery prize was an Old Sword ....
Now i understand that everyone cant win a new familiar, and i didnt expect too . But i would have thought that with all the money spent on dubs by the many pirates who will be participating in this , the least that they could do is award NEW stuff . This is a very big disappointment to me, and ive talked to several other players that are very upset as well . It seems like a big trik to get you in to buy dubs, then you get slapped up side the head with an OLD prize lol .
Well i for one think the prizes should at least be new . It wouldnt seem so much like i got ripped off .

I think i will avoid any future promotions if they are going to be like this . Im regreeting every dub purchase i ever made now ....
Thanks
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by jhkh90 at Oct 15, 2008 2:26:54 PM]
[Oct 15, 2008 2:25:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Legodude07

Re: Holloween Banaza Mystery Prizes Reply to this Post

I agree
---------------------------------
Legodudex (Hunter)
Legodude (Cobalt)
[Oct 15, 2008 2:29:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Skunkbeard9

me too
Yarrby of Cobalt
The Former King of Cobalt

Retired, Missing in Action, or Dead. Whatever you wish.
[Oct 15, 2008 2:40:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    yarrby@ymail.com [Link]  Go to top 
AhoyLindsay

Do you guys think the owners of tailor stalls would agree with magicking free clothes in new condition out of nowhere? How do you think that would impact their business?
Castawayjoe of the Midnight Ocean.
To err is human, but to arr is pirate.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Catharsis on Cobalt and Malachite.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by AhoyLindsay at Oct 15, 2008 2:55:46 PM]
[Oct 15, 2008 2:51:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Madril

The thing is, you are still getting the doubloons. The item you get is just a bonus, not a substitute.
[Oct 15, 2008 2:53:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kanji_Kana

While I would be very disapointed if I got an old sword, I agree with the Ocean Masters on this one. When they use the word "random" it truely means random. Think about what would happen to the economy of of the oceans if everyone bought 10 dollars worth of doubloons and got something worth alot more than 42 doubloons. (like a familiar)

I can see your side of the story mate, and you have my deepest apologies, but for every time somone gets something good, some people have to get something bad, or the "good" thing will become, well, bad. Not sure if it makes sense, but I gave it a shot. ;-)
Ichirin no Hana is my favorite song. ^.^
[Oct 15, 2008 2:57:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
spartantrian

Do you guys think the owners of tailor stalls would agree with magicking free clothes in new condition out of nowhere? How do you think that would impact their business?

The same way it does when new conditioned clothes get "magicked" out of Atlantis. People who don't like the clothes sell them to a tailor and they turn them around with a markup. People who do like the clothes wear them and maybe buy a matching outfit.

Random doesn't need to mean what I get is great but it shouldn't disappear in five days.
Rowyerboat on Hunter
[Oct 15, 2008 3:54:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jhkh90

i met a girl who got a black dog, now thats awsome lol, but very few of those will be awarded. I still think when ya get old stuff ya get ripped lol. I just figure random is random but at least have the decency to make the prizes worth something . After all ild love to see the books on what 3 rings has earned off this game, even what theyve made off me lol. Ive made way too many dub purchases to mention lol. And i feel that by giving me an old sword, you basicly insult me. Thats not much thanks for my dedication to PP .
And watch the ones who show up with the random tickets for new familiars. I bet they all go to the ones that are filthy rich all ready, after all no normal pirate can afford one . ;(
[Edit 1 times, last edit by jhkh90 at Oct 15, 2008 4:10:14 PM]
[Oct 15, 2008 4:08:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
geeky_kitty

The same way it does when new conditioned clothes get "magicked" out of Atlantis. People who don't like the clothes sell them to a tailor and they turn them around with a markup. People who do like the clothes wear them and maybe buy a matching outfit.

Random doesn't need to mean what I get is great but it shouldn't disappear in five days.

IAWTC -- especially the part I bolded.

Hai, I'm a pirate with two tailoring stalls on Kirin, Cobalt. (I ran out of room in my first stall, and had my hearty open a stall for the male clothes a few weeks ago.)

I would actually probably benefit more from good or new clothes in the freebie gifts because people are more likely to buy more to build an outfit, or sell the freebie off -- rather than pass it on through a tourney or as skellie fodder, where the item is quite likely going to continue to pass from pirate to pirate until it dusts into sellable rags (or nothing at all depending upon the pirate).

For the curious, I got old female white boots. They are for sale on my rack for 75 PoE! ;)

geek. o_^
Geekers
http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Geekers
[Oct 17, 2008 8:05:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.geekers.org    oOgeekersOo [Link]  Go to top 
Listentohear

Mmhmm. I hav a friend who got black elephant, just te throw tht out thurr, but yah, make the swords like good at least? Noone has any use for old swords, even if they're like poniards or dirks... I've collected like 4 cause people give em away... and this is on Malachite... you know the items aren't wanted when.

And yuh, I only ever made 1 purchase, about to make the second nao... if I git rich, I'll share wit you jhkh90 since joo seem upset =o.

Not a lot of happy pirates out there, this masquerade better be super way awesomeness ^.^

Ahem, meaning /e wants lots of free stuffehs?
Trimp on Malachite
Coming back in July.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Listentohear at Oct 22, 2008 9:51:31 PM]
[Oct 22, 2008 9:50:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
practitioner

I have to agree, I got an old blue bandana as my reward and I am sorry to say that I think thats rubbish. Its not what I would call a reward, I would rather have had nothing. As I often buy dubloons ( I am a portrait whore ) the old blue bandana was as far as I am concerned a slap in the face. I would rather have had a message saying "sorry you did not win anything this time" than an item which I trashed as even the skellies and zombies would have refused to take it.
Delores of Emerald ocean.

Always yield to temptation, because it may not pass your way again.

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.
[Oct 22, 2008 11:18:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lilymoon

I agree. I just purchased a lot of Target cards during their 25% more promotion, which was great and worth me spending my very limited entertainment money I do have. But at least what was advertised is what I got.

What has made me think twice about spending more money towards this game is this latest promotion . No where in their advertisements does it say any of the gifts will be in old condition if you are not in the 10% of gifts that include pets, familiars, etc.

What it does say is that you have a chance at winning anything from a piece of clothing up to a familiar. To me, this implies that the items will be in new condition. So for something as inexpensive as a NEW tan bandana (selling for around 25 PoE on Sage) vs. a familiar (whose value is what, million(s) of PoE?) it seems that those odds in themselves would warrant the 90% of other gifts to be in new condition. At the very least, Good condition for the more expensive clothing/sword/bludgeons.

How could providing newly conditioned cheaper gifts be bad on the economy? I manage a tailor stall and believe me old does not sell. Its better to let them crumble (assuming your clothing item is a top or bottom- for those that got a poor hat or feet item, then that just is really "poor form" on YPP) and hope you get a good rag color. At least rags are new and can be used in skellie and zombie frays.

My gift: Old Scimitar which at least lasts a bit longer than 5 days (from what I recall in using old expensive swords in the past).

Also, I wonder if the 10% of 'special' prizes were already distributed. Everyone that I've known to get a pet, familiar ticket, etc all purchased their dubs at the very beginning and those, like me, who had waited to purchase dubs seems to have gotten the old items. That doesn't seem to be very random to me. That is possibly not the norm for what others are seeing, but that is the norm with what I've seen.

Sorry for my disgruntled pirate rant, but as I'm a huge fan of YPP and as Halloween is my favorite holiday I'm really surprised at how this promotion has been delivered/presented. I am looking forward to the masquerade ball and hope it will be fun!
Faeree ~ Illustrious Wanderer on all oceans ~
Apollo wrote: 
(Is it wrong that I'm now just a tiny bit in love with Faeree's brother?)

[Edit 1 times, last edit by lilymoon at Oct 24, 2008 10:11:25 AM]
[Oct 24, 2008 9:01:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Faeree [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

Re: Halloween Bonanza Mystery Prizes Reply to this Post

Guys - are you forgetting that you also got a trophy? This is the first time that I know of that a mystery prize also included one. Usually the mystery prizes from the PoEmail are simply luck of the draw.

It is very common practice for contests or lucky drawings (which is basically what this was) to promote the big items, but most people understand that it is only a chance of getting those.

You have indeed gotten what you paid for, which is either another month of play time or 42 doubloons. The trophy is something special for participating at this time and the gift, whatever it may be, was just a bonus. You were not entitled to a pet or a familiar.
Pletoo of Sage
[Oct 24, 2008 5:32:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CKShinrai

This stuff is free. You're still getting what you paid for, plus a bonus.

I'm reminded of a statement that I hear around M:tG forums a lot: "Wizards could put $100 bills in the booster packs, and people would complain about how they were folded."
Erfan wrote: 
OUR SUPER IMPORTANT LORD SHINRAI THE HEDGEHOG

[Oct 24, 2008 7:33:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
IrishAlex

You have indeed gotten what you paid for, which is either another month of play time or 42 doubloons. The trophy is something special for participating at this time and the gift, whatever it may be, was just a bonus. You were not entitled to a pet or a familiar.

No one is Complaining that they didnt get a pet or familiar.. All thats being pointed out is that they're dissapointed that majority of items on offer are old
I was also dissapointed to receive an old cane bludgeon
Gramps on the Sage Ocean

Iago: Heres a Blanket for your Knees, I SAID A BLANKET FOR YOUR KNEES
Gramps: What? Bees, No i don't Like Bees
[Oct 24, 2008 9:26:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Artemis
OceanMaster

Giving out new items means that pirates won't be shopping at your tailor at all, though, since they just won a cool new shirt that'll last them for another month or two... And although that might not be as much of an issue with clothing (since many pirates would go out and buy matching outfits) the effect would be significantly more noticeable for swords, bludgeons and mugs. A new one of those means that I don't need to buy another one for another month or more.

This is the same reason that we don't have free rum days anymore, because giving anything out for free means that someone else isn't able to make a profit.

That being said, I still do have some sympathy for the "ugh, an old tan bandana" reaction when you first open it - I mean, lets face it, even a new tan bandana is going to suck when you're hoping for a familiar!

(I got an old chain which I'm happy with since I don't like rumble and generally don't use a bludgeon since I won't buy them.)

So, to turn this to a useful discussion, what would remove the "ugh" factor for you? Different wording? no prize? should we change "old" to "preowned"?
[Oct 25, 2008 4:53:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ellopoppet

So, to turn this to a useful discussion, what would remove the "ugh" factor for you? Different wording? no prize? should we change "old" to "preowned"?

Nothing will change it, same thins happens with instant scratch off lotto tickets. Loser= Screw these I never win and it's a waste of money and it's all a scam.

Unless you win, you won't be happy. I didn't see the issue with my crap stuff. I still got my dubs each time which made it worth it.
~Athens~ Hunter

Want to know who makes my avatars?
[Oct 25, 2008 5:02:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
yaypuzzlez

Nothing will change it, same thins happens with instant scratch off lotto tickets. Loser= Screw these I never win and it's a waste of money and it's all a scam.

Unless you win, you won't be happy. I didn't see the issue with my crap stuff. I still got my dubs each time which made it worth it.

Thing is.. Some people doesn't know the meaning of 'bonus'. They took the offer as if they are actually buying real money for it. They forgotten on the dubs and price part.
I am Capberry | Rumbleboy.

Retired.
[Oct 25, 2008 5:08:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

So, to turn this to a useful discussion, what would remove the "ugh" factor for you?

Personally I think the addition of the trophy was enough, but since people are still complaining...
Yes, it can be disappointing when the mystery prize turns out to be something you won't use, this is the same with the chests from Atlantis. It is certainly difficult to find a good balance between handing out decent stuff and not causing economic uproar.

Maybe the wording could be changed a bit, even if it was just adding a more visible note that not all prizes will be valuable. That is something that people familiar with this sort of giveaway understand, but it can be misleading for the uninitiated.

I think old swords, mugs, and bludgeons are okay because it does tend to give people a chance to try something that they may not be able to afford. It would be good if these were what is generally considered "high end" rather than the cheaper, more common items. The big problem with getting these is that not everyone has the proper storage furniture and I know they are quite expensive on the doubloon oceans.

To me, old clothing is quite worthless. Most people are pretty particular about what colors and types of clothing they wear, and neither the shops nor the monsters tend to accept it. Getting tan or standard Navy issue colors is even worse because even when they turn to rags, it still has little value. I would say that expensive clothing items should be at least good condition and middle price items should be new. This way people might be tempted to complete the outfit but they could also sell it.
Pletoo of Sage
[Oct 26, 2008 10:04:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lilymoon

My biggest issue was in the way it is promoted. I just bought dubs, I didn't need to replenish my dubs at this point. The reason I did was because, to me, it sounded like I would be getting a new game item- with a rare chance that it would be something more valuable like a pet or a familiar. So to me, I was like OK, I'll get more dubs- at the very least I'll get a new game item. To find out it was old was a bit of a let down and what seemed to me to be a bit of misguided promotional advertising.

Patetch wrote: 
Maybe the wording could be changed a bit, even if it was just adding a more visible note that not all prizes will be valuable. That is something that people familiar with this sort of giveaway understand, but it can be misleading for the uninitiated.

I never thought of this promotion as a familiar lottery until I'm seeing now what folks are getting as their mystery prizes. So to me, if this would have been actually promoted as a familiar lottery then I would not have been upset at feeling like I was mislead. At that point, I would have been able to decide whether or not I wanted to play a lottery for a familiar by purchasing dubs. Then you could see the old 'mystery gifts' as more of a consolation prize. So, saying something like you have a chance to win a familiar, pet, i.e. the new/rare items. If not, you will get a consolation prize. That would have taken away any confusion and not seem so misleading.
Faeree ~ Illustrious Wanderer on all oceans ~
Apollo wrote: 
(Is it wrong that I'm now just a tiny bit in love with Faeree's brother?)

[Oct 27, 2008 9:25:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Faeree [Link]  Go to top 
HiimEric2001

To get rid of the "ugh" factor, just don't give such nice stuff away. I never cared about getting a tan bandana before, when everyone else was getting an old sword at best.

I won a new pile of bones and a black elephant and still was saying "ugh" because some jackass who can't puzzle his way out of a paper bag is going to win a familiar.

UGH.
Cire
Purple Squid Brigade, Inglorious Fandango

Nemo says, "Cire has figured me out..."

[Oct 27, 2008 9:55:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
taelac

Artemis wrote: 

That's a good question. For me, it wasn't so much an "ugh" factor as an "I have no use for this" factor. I had planned to make two doubloon purchases during the promotion period. I made one, and received an old dirk. For a green player, an old dirk is a fine prize, to give them a chance to try a different sword, and I don't even mind the dirk as a weapon, because it fits my play style. But I have a backsword, so had no need for an old dirk (or a sword rack to store it in) -- I gave it away in a tournament.

But the huge disparity in possible prizes struck me in that moment, and I realized that first, I hadn't originally planned on buying any doubloons this month, because grad school is requiring more time right now, and that second, even if I did make my second intended purchase, I'd end up with doubs I can't spend until the winter holidays, and very likely another item for which I'd have no use. I did not make the second purchase.

A significantly better chance at the smaller pets might have improved it, or having the smaller pets be the top end of the prizes given might have improved it. All I know is that my, "What was I thinking? I don't need doubs right now, and I'm sure not going to luck into one of the good prizes," moment kept $10 in my pocket that I had been willing to hand over before I rolled a dirk. I think if the top possible prizes are going to be large pets and familiars, the bottom edge needs raised, or the middle needs expanded to make pirates feel that their unintended expenditure is worth scraping together the cash.

Really, these promotions are not intended to sell to folks who were already going to make a purchase during that time - they're intended to sell to folks who weren't going to make a purchase. Improving the bait, or capping the disparity so that the items even the skellies won't take don't look quite so bad in comparison to the top possible prize might get that extra ten bucks out of me next time.
~Taelac
ROMS XVII:Vanilla Filler
Dead Thread
[Nov 1, 2008 11:47:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Indeed

Artemis wrote: 

I think that 'old' is fine for weaponry and mugs (I was quite happy to play with a skull dagger for a time, as it is not my habit to purchase swords, and it was a fun difference), but clothing, I think, should be new. I will not build a new outfit around a gift that will degrade before the rest of the outfit is beyond new. And I agree with Taelac, since the high end is a familiar, and you have black dogs and cats and whatnot, you might add a mid-range of normal-coloured pets and trinkets to soften the scale slightly.
Dmentia says, "It thrills me when Indeed is mean."
SomeIdiot tells you, "I am muting you, because you're unnormal, maybe you're hurt in real life"
Quoth Rubby, "There's something wrong with your brain."

[Nov 1, 2008 1:44:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.goonbunnies.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
googlesque

I got an old poniard and some new tan on tan boots.
But the reason I was buying dubs was for the dubs, so I was actually mildy pleased with the poniard as I've been using a stick for the last year.
Le shrug.

Jesus says, "Woof."
Sharan thinks, "i knew jesus was still alive"

[Edit 1 times, last edit by googlesque at Nov 3, 2008 6:02:14 PM]
[Nov 3, 2008 6:00:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ikolenovic

Its a really simple question.

What purchase did ye make? Doubloon Purchase, the things that come with it are total random and luck if ye pull something good.

So I dont see the point of this Thread.

Your mad because ye got something Old from a Random Prize Generator, get over it.
Foegasm on Viridian

Foegasm: I was at School today and I opened my Crayola Box and found a Color Cronus and I was like Totally "What The.." and My Teacher Yelled At ME!

Cronus: /e Hangs his Head in Shame.

[Nov 8, 2008 10:09:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com    I Get No Girls [Link]  Go to top 
Guppyzr

I won a new pile of bones and a black elephant and still was saying "ugh" because some jackass who can't puzzle his way out of a paper bag is going to win a familiar.

I agree with this completely. A familiar worth millions of PoE should be given to those who show a particualar talent in a skill, not those who get lucky.
Guppyzra of the Imaginary Ocean.
Founder and Coordinator of Fight Circle

In the Name Of... ~carpe noctem
[Nov 9, 2008 8:06:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ikolenovic

The thing is Luck isn't Skill, just complete randomness.

Get over it, if ye guys got millions of Poe just wait and buy the new familiar, if not than Wait for a Tournament or an Event.
Foegasm on Viridian

Foegasm: I was at School today and I opened my Crayola Box and found a Color Cronus and I was like Totally "What The.." and My Teacher Yelled At ME!

Cronus: /e Hangs his Head in Shame.

[Nov 9, 2008 11:08:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com    I Get No Girls [Link]  Go to top 
randompanzy

Artemis wrote: 

i get new would be bad but what about atleast good?

something that just wont dust right away but still will be usable for awhile would be nice :)

or if they have to be old make them a rare color or something of the like so people can be happy they got one. ^^
Randompanzy on every ocean mainly Viridian
SO of Puzzling Privateers
Royal of Imperial Madness

Tranquilized says, u kno yer notorious for lagging? xD

Donsmythe wrote: Welcome to Yohoho Puzzle Pirates Vista

[Nov 14, 2008 1:40:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.teamepsilon.net    phillip1904    GB Fayt    I'm a little kitty that goes MOO! :D [Link]  Go to top 
Maialiana

I'm guessing that most pirates have moved on and forgotten about their 'old' prizes now, but I'm wondering how many realised the 'other bonus' that they got along with their dubs?
You get access to Ice to test the Cursed Isles!
I thought this was quite brilliant on OOO's part, to promote doubloon and subscription purchases before launching a new feature that had to be tested. It's just a pity that they couldn't use this in their promotion as it would have given away the surprise!

XXX greeter chats, "wat is this chat for than anyway"
YYYY greeter chats, "idk its just that theres 1 rule and that we arnt alowd to chat in

[Nov 14, 2008 2:25:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hai=/=Hi, Hai=Yes [Link]  Go to top 
Mobettagc

Three Rings had a list of the things to could get, seen here , you may be disapointed with what you got from them but it was all by chance. They also never said if you were to get a new, good or old bludgeon, sword or peice of clothing. You made the choice of participating in the event and you are the one that is now complaining about how you got an old sword? Please stop, this is a joke...

I agree with this completely. A familiar worth millions of PoE should be given to those who show a particualar talent in a skill, not those who get lucky.

Well if you think about the fact Three Rings isn't just doing this to have a jolly good time, i'm sure that it is part of the fact, but they have to make money too. They can't just give it all to the good players that will quit later on, they give it to new players as well so that they can show them that you really can be successful with out being 'Sublime, Ultimate' in a stat, and so they can trust where there money is going to buy dubloons or subscriptions.
Mobettagc of Sage Emerald
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Mobettagc at Nov 16, 2008 5:39:24 AM]
[Nov 16, 2008 5:33:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 32   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates