• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 5
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 571 times and has 4 replies Next Thread
Prammy16

Obsidian PVP bounty Reply to this Post

It seems to me that Obsidian was designed to have a lot more PVP. I'm all on board (no pun intended), and I think a number of the changes have definitely increased the amount and importance of PVP...

but not enough. I think the main reason PVP, sinky or no, is not done as much as it could be is because the risk/reward calculation falls deftly flat. Especially now that it's sinky, you're risking your ship, all the cargo, and all the money made up to that point, and if you win you get... bragging rights? A small note on the "war" tab for part of a day?

People respond to incentive, and there's got to be a way to produce an incentive. I suggest two things:
First, that there is added a large tax on ships in order to buy, with a bounty that collects all or a good part of it back when you sink one. That way, a player vessel would be known to be a good chunk of money floating around, and the risk/reward calculation greatly increases. Even grappling isn't always a good idea, as a bunch of the time they haven't gotten much poe, and you end up getting very little compared to a hard bot somewhere. This bounty would only be paid out for sinky battles, of course, but I think that would definitely help increase the number of PVP battles.
Second, there could be, after sinking a ship, a TD spot on the board equal to what they were carrying, and the battle would end either after it's all hauled up, or if/when the captain wants to disengage. This would produce an outcome that was at least similar in nature to the first suggestion but without the artificial giant tax/bounty. Instead, you just have the opportunity to TH up what they lost, and take it as your own. This would add an uncertain reward when you are considering entering the battle, as you're not quite sure how much they have in their hold, but you know you'd get it. This would also have a benefit/loss when compared to simply a grapple: You would certainly get more poe, but you'd also not get any of the stock they have on board, or any of the greedy loots and KBs. Over all it would probably be worth more than grappling, but it's also harder to sink than to grapple, so a higher reward upon sinking, rather than no reward whatsoever, would again increase the incentive for players to PVP.

There's my two cents.
----------------------------------------
-Porglit on Emerald
[Nov 21, 2017 3:11:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Prammy16

Re: Obsidian PVP bounty Reply to this Post

I don't know where to put this, but I would like take a moment to appreciate the developers for giving consideration to the forums and actually implementing the player feedback. Both with the additions of the bounty on PVP vessels and the list of shoppes that are looking for employment, I recognized as topics discussed on this forum.

So, to the developers...

Thank you sincerely!
-Porglit on Emerald
[Dec 1, 2017 2:34:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sagacious

I don't know where to put this, but I would like take a moment to appreciate the developers for giving consideration to the forums and actually implementing the player feedback. Both with the additions of the bounty on PVP vessels and the list of shoppes that are looking for employment, I recognized as topics discussed on this forum.

So, to the developers...

Thank you sincerely!

I posted a similar idea a while back, which while the thread didn't develop into a discussion, seems to have helped with the development ideas in Grey Havens HQ :)
Cerulean & Meridian - Icemeister
Emerald & Obsidian - incognito!
#TeamPurple
[Dec 8, 2017 3:48:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

I posted a similar idea a while back, which while the thread didn't develop into a discussion, seems to have helped with the development ideas in Grey Havens HQ :)

#TeamEvil
#TeamDefiantArmada
[Dec 9, 2017 5:02:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
Sagacious

Thank you for the cookies, even if uncertain on whether they are real or plastic...

Reminder that they're watching us...
Cerulean & Meridian - Icemeister
Emerald & Obsidian - incognito!
#TeamPurple
[Dec 9, 2017 6:11:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates