• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 7
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 443 times and has 6 replies Next Thread
Thunderbird

Dark Seas appears in the Steam recent list under Linux? Reply to this Post

So I set up an Ubuntu system (which had a handful of headaches both due to my hardware and dual-boot setup), and installed Steam for the heck of it. Then I happened to look at the Steam tray menu and spotted this:

It's possible to install it this way (it only downloads 1MB worth of stuff), but it can't be started. Any idea why it shows up in that list, but not the library (when sorted to only include Linux games)?

Note: My recent software list under Windows is VERY different than this.
----------------------------------------
Pirate tells you, "my, that's one BIG wad o' chewing gum ye have mounted on yer bonce! oO'"
Sungod officer chats, "I wonder if anyone's sailing the harpsichord"
Pirate tells you, "ZOMG CANDYFLOSS!!! *munches*"
[Nov 12, 2017 7:51:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    SSC Thunderbird [Link]  Go to top 
Larbey

Re: Dark Seas appears in the Steam recent list under Linux? Reply to this Post

It appears for me too. It even launches on my computer. Getting "Login failed: Ye must use the Steam client to access this ocean.", while my Steam page is showing "Currently In-Game: Puzzle Pirates: Dark Seas" when I log in, though :(.

I've been corresponding with the people at support@puzzlepirates.com. They seem to be unaware of the issues for us linux-users. Try to contact them also.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Larbey at Nov 13, 2017 12:43:27 PM]
[Nov 13, 2017 12:43:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sagacious

I will say that there is evidence within the Steam app on the store (the config/store library settings on the Steam servers) that Linux is at least partially setup or within some parts of the config but not others. It indicates to me that Linux support might be planned but not yet implemented.
Cerulean & Meridian - Icemeister
Emerald & Obsidian - incognito!
#TeamPurple
[Nov 14, 2017 12:07:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

Looking at both Dark Seas and the classic client in the Steam Store, the classic client spits out "invalid platform" if I try to hit the Play button. The Dark Seas client offers to install, and it definitely looks like it tries to download a Linux specific install (the java_vm folder isn't present, which is part of the Windows version, and run.sh is present, which isn't part of the Windows version). But now, clicking Play tells me it can't find the program file (which looks like it's set to the same path as the Windows install).

One other difference I noticed: The Linux install does not include any sort of existing install (just files for the updater portion), whereas when I installed on Windows, it did include a base client (which is obviously outdated, unless GH is actually keeping it up to date on Steam).
Pirate tells you, "my, that's one BIG wad o' chewing gum ye have mounted on yer bonce! oO'"
Sungod officer chats, "I wonder if anyone's sailing the harpsichord"
Pirate tells you, "ZOMG CANDYFLOSS!!! *munches*"
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Thunderbird at Nov 18, 2017 4:43:40 PM]
[Nov 18, 2017 4:41:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    SSC Thunderbird [Link]  Go to top 
Sagacious

One other difference I noticed: The Linux install does not include any sort of existing install (just files for the updater portion), whereas when I installed on Windows, it did include a base client (which is obviously outdated, unless GH is actually keeping it up to date on Steam).

Nope it's the base client which then updates to the Dark Seas media - as it shows the classic login page when it first launches before the main client data gets installed by the launcher. I believe it's a state of the game around the time of the Dark Seas beta starting (before it reached Steam early access).
#TeamPurple
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Sagacious at Nov 19, 2017 12:44:53 PM]
[Nov 19, 2017 12:44:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
werlinknight

For me, it runs if I change the java_vm in java to /usr/bin/java and run ./run.sh. It then gives the same Login failed message. It would seem that the problem can be solved if the line is changed in the java file, because every time I try to start Dark Seas from Steam, it "updates" and restores the java file to java_vm.
-Hylux
[Dec 9, 2017 12:09:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sagacious

Can you create a symbolic link between the java folder in the directory and the location within /usr/bin? Then maybe lock down the permissions of it so it can't be written over easily.
#TeamPurple
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Sagacious at Dec 9, 2017 2:35:32 PM]
[Dec 9, 2017 2:34:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates