• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 79
Posts: 79   Pages: 3   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 15207 times and has 78 replies Next Thread
skinnymonkey

Re: We saved the much-better intent for ourselves. [Admiral Intent]

This whole thread just got a lot funnier.

This thread would only get more entertaining if one of the parties associated to BoS got banned.
----------------------------------------
Skinnymonkey
Twisted Parallax
Want to be my friend? :(
[Edit 1 times, last edit by skinnymonkey at Jan 30, 2012 9:39:04 AM]
[Jan 30, 2012 9:28:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sdafda

This whole thread just got a lot funnier.

This thread would only get more entertaining if one of the parties associated to BoS got banned.

Or the other way around.
Sdafda on Sage

Jerich flag royalty chats, "This is why we have no friends.
[Jan 30, 2012 11:04:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Setsusa

^ Irony, but true.
Cremate on Emerald.
Motou on Meridian.
[Jan 30, 2012 11:05:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
benrenshaw

Laslo are you claiming that the 3rd party shot at both flags? Even when a TP ship was leaving the board, the frig the 3rd partied entered and a BoS ship teamed up to shoot at the TP ship. There must have been some communication between the navvers as they evaded each other turn after turn resulting in the sink of the TP frig.

I don't understand your logic.
Captainben on Meridian
Basicx on Emerald
[Edit 1 times, last edit by benrenshaw at Jan 30, 2012 11:25:43 AM]
[Jan 30, 2012 11:24:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
daviddavison

Learn how to make money without buying dubs :).

Is this where you suggest buypoe.com... :P
Joh to my friends Mr. Johanson to all others....

Built a new computer. So easy even a Joh can do it.

Nooblar only retired because he misses me playing.
[Jan 30, 2012 11:43:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Laslo2

This is where i suggest knowing how to play the game you log on to quite alot :). Or at least most of us do ;)
Laslo

Revealing personal information about another player is against the forum rules, including revealing ban evasion.
Ban evasion should be reported to the OMs using /complain.
[Jan 30, 2012 12:22:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
daviddavison

This is where i suggest knowing how to play the game you log on to quite alot :). Or at least most of us do ;)

lol I was foraging when you where still hooked on your Leap Pad...
Joh to my friends Mr. Johanson to all others....

Built a new computer. So easy even a Joh can do it.

Nooblar only retired because he misses me playing.
[Jan 30, 2012 12:44:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Setsusa

Fact: Atlantis navving is one of the most consistent PoE incomes there is today. For the navver.

Fact: Atlantis navving takes little to no skill.

Fact: Having 100 mill from a poorly coded megafountain isn't impressive.

Even if Atlantis took more skill than it does, making PoE from only one source and acting like you're good at the game is pretty contradictory. Being good at one facet != being good at the game.

That said, I'd wager that I've had a higher income in my playing career than BoS has with it's Atlantis farming. As a whole. I've also had a higher outcome, so I doubt I'd be able to match BoS PoE for PoE without talking to a few people.

To anyone who wishes to drop on BoS unprepared in the future: Think about it. How much PoE do you think they have, and what have they done in the past? No doubt matching their attrition tactic is the only way to get it done, but wasting a few mill here and there on half prepared efforts is not going to be successful. (Looking at you TP).

Allow me to clarify before Laslo has his orgasm despite not beingi n the flag. This is no testification to BoS having skill or extreme prowess in the game, but merely lengthy resources. Common sense goes a long way.
Cremate on Emerald.
Motou on Meridian.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Setsusa at Jan 30, 2012 1:53:13 PM]
[Jan 30, 2012 12:53:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sdafda

I agree with Cremate. Anyone can do good in Atlantis if they have a little common sense and most important, a good jobber pool.

To anyone who wishes to drop on BoS unprepared in the future: Think about it. How much PoE do you think they have, and what have they done in the past? No doubt matching their attrition tactic is the only way to get it done, but wasting a few mill here and there on half prepared efforts is not going to be successful. (Looking at you TP).

Although I support BoS in blockades, I must admit that he hit the nail right on the head with this one.
Sdafda on Sage

[Edit 2 times, last edit by Sdafda at Jan 30, 2012 2:00:11 PM]
[Jan 30, 2012 1:39:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Setsusa

Oh, that should say what have they done in the past. /e goes to edit.
Cremate on Emerald.
Motou on Meridian.
[Jan 30, 2012 1:52:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Judiciousman

I wouldn't say Paycapping an admiral kade would be an idea to even consider, as you don't want to simply hand over the crown jewels of sage for 4m at 3.5k/segment or whatnot.

I would however like to see jobbing kept close. Not necessarily even, but not BoS raising pay while outjobbing by 60+.

I definitely don't advocate just handing over the crown jewels of Sage. I mean, could you imagine just waltzing in to take the island uncontested, just because people weren't comfortable with your proposed pay?

But at the same time, jobber pay has- literally- risen by 100x since admiral I. If we want to see contests of skill on the blockade board that last more than 30 min, a pay cap would put blockades in reach and keep things interesting. You can still compete on political and bnav skill.

When TP first blockaded Admiral against Capy, I know the cost for TP alone (in 4 rounds) cost less than 3 mil. It can be done, but when you have people who think they can only win by outjobbing.. it's not going to happen like that.

Basically, paycaps are never going to happen and they don't usually work. The only thing that would "save" these blockades is justified pay raises and I doubt BoS would ever agree to that.
Wirelesscon, Wirelessconn - Emerald
Wirelesscon - Meridian

Causing 87 comment facebook wars like it's my job.
Melany tells ye, "I secretly like you"
Daquan tells ye, "hi bby how are you <3333"
[Jan 30, 2012 1:56:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sdafda

Oh, that should say what have they done in the past. /e goes to edit.

Lol I saw it but, I forgot to mention/ edit it.

Personally, I don't think Admiral should be taken in such cheap blockades like that (4 rounds, Non sinking and only 3mil spent). That's just my opinion though. It's like spending pocket change, not something you really have to work for.
Sdafda on Sage

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Sdafda at Jan 30, 2012 2:22:41 PM]
[Jan 30, 2012 1:58:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Chiptharip

Personally, I don't think Admiral should be taken in such cheap blockades like that (4 rounds, Non sinking and only 3mil spent). That's just my opinion though. It's like spending pocket change, not something you really have to work for.

It takes much, much more "work" to raise 3million via traditional methods (pillage/jobbing/shoppe keeping) than it does to nav a wall-hump trip, sit on a poker table or whip out a credit card. To say otherwise is completely asinine and ignores basic facts about the nature of the game's PoE fountains/redistribution methods.

I am interested, though, in your formula for determining what is an "appropriate" amount to spend on blockading.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Chiptharip at Jan 30, 2012 2:45:21 PM]
[Jan 30, 2012 2:43:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Setsusa

I felt that somewhere in the range of 15-25 million for an Admiral 3-4 rounder including sinking costs was pretty reasonable. This obviously has become nearly mythological.
Cremate on Emerald.
Motou on Meridian.
[Jan 30, 2012 2:57:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Chiptharip

As Pauling noted earlier, previous Admiral-holding flags took the island in fully contested sinking blockades for less than a couple mil. Just because the game (and community) now allows ridiculously easy PoE accumulation methods does not mean the blockade board should be subject to similar hyperinflation. Of course, the option is available, but that does not mean it should be taken, for numerous reasons that are better suited for GD or Global Parley.
[Jan 30, 2012 3:02:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sdafda

I do agree that traditional methods are hard work but is the poe ONLY raised by traditional methods?

An appropriate amount depends on the islands value of course. Although no island really gives back the poe that one would use to blockade it, you can put a bit of a value on the island.

My minimum value for Admiral in a 4 round blockade would be 10m- 25m (Including cost of sunken ships). But, since I've only held Admiral once, not even for 1 full day, you can take the opinion of someone who has held it a few times/ longer period.
Sdafda on Sage

[Edit 2 times, last edit by Sdafda at Jan 30, 2012 3:38:45 PM]
[Jan 30, 2012 3:19:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Setsusa

To be honest Chip, I based my number for what was the norm in around 07-10. However, that was when 2k a seg would net you a lot more jobbers than it does now.
Cremate on Emerald.
Motou on Meridian.
[Jan 30, 2012 3:49:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
killercat771

As Pauling noted earlier, previous Admiral-holding flags took the island in fully contested sinking blockades for less than a couple mil. Just because the game (and community) now allows ridiculously easy PoE accumulation methods does not mean the blockade board should be subject to similar hyperinflation. Of course, the option is available, but that does not mean it should be taken, for numerous reasons that are better suited for GD or Global Parley.

Being someone who was here at the start. I do agree. At the openning of Admiral 250 poe per ROUND was a lot for it's time. So I wouldn't doubt they spent that much on Jobber pay. But also we did have Raffles and sometimes they'd throw in a Fam or Frigs and such to kinda even it out. Pay didn't really get that high untill Casper and his 3rd parties, then the bandwagon started. Back when he started that and paying 600 per seg everyone was going HWFO!, OMG 600 per seg, WTF.

And taking about cheap Admiral blockades, When GWTF disbanded and Lunatic Fringe took over. They couldn't have spent more than 100k on it.
Killercat
3rd Party for hire.

[Jan 30, 2012 3:54:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pauling

I do agree that traditional methods are hard work but is the poe ONLY raised by traditional methods?

An appropriate amount depends on the islands value of course. Although no island really gives back the poe that one would use to blockade it, you can put a bit of a value on the island.

My minimum value for Admiral in a 4 round blockade would be 10m- 25m (Including cost of sunken ships). But, since I've only held Admiral once, not even for 1 full day, you can take the opinion of someone who has held it a few times/ longer period.

There are two reasons to blockade an island, and neither of those reasons involves the profits you hope to earn. (unless you're suffering from excess optimism)

1. Challenge: Some flags blockade as a demonstration of skill and coordination. They have an interest in blockading as often as possible, and extending those blockades as long as possible. For those people, 5 close rounds (ending in a loss) is preferable to half a round ending in victory. Of course, this isn't an exclusive reason to blockade, or else we'd see half a dozen third party fanchuans in every round. (and a lot more turnout for event blockades)

2. Prestige: Some flags blockade for the prestige of owning an island. This is usually prestige in the abstract sense, insofar as almost none of the members of the flag will ever actually govern or benefit directly. For these flags, the goal is to crush any and all challengers who attempt to take their island: if the monarch of the opposing flag quits the game after round 1, that's perfectly ok. (**This has actually happened)

In reality, most people mix the two reasons to one extent or another. People who emphasize reason 1 are more likely to ration their PoE so as to blockade as often as possible; those who emphasize reason 2 are more likely to favor crushing, possibly pyrrhic victories, with wildly asymmetric jobber counts.

I suspect that most long-time players place a greater weight on reason 1, which would counter the desire to attain victory at all costs. (even if victory IS nice) So if we're going to discuss pay caps, the real question becomes: why is your opponent blockading? If pay wars lead to crappy boring blockades, will anyone object?
Pauling of the Lost Lot, Sagemerald
Officer emeritus and occasional cabin person
Puppetar (and drawing of secret Blackthorpe plans) by the talented Tilinka
[Jan 30, 2012 4:02:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 79   Pages: 3   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates