• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 11
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 6118 times and has 10 replies Next Thread
xelto

Who got the gator? entry thread (win a gator here)

Intro:

It was a beautiful day. The moans of the undead rolled across the foggy sea, the seagulls swirled around peacefully in the sky, acting for all the world like seaborne buzzards. And the ship Beautiful Trout, navigated by the captain of the Wild Chicks, headed in towards the secret lair of Vargas the Mad.

Roughly three hours later, it emerged from the fog banks, and ported. Looking at the booty division, fourteen names appeared on the list. A few of them got nothing, since they had to leave the ship for one reason or another, but the rest looked over their collection of toadstools, beaded fetishes, and cultist chow, to be surprised by something snapping and smiling at them.

Based on the clues given, can you figure out whose gator this was?

Rules:

The first person to send me a PM with the correct answers to the following questions will win a gator.

* How many chests were foraged by each player?
* Who won the gator?
* Which players are afflicted by starfish with superglue?
* Which players use blackjacks?

If no player sends me a correct answer within 48 hours, I will put up an additional set of clues then, and each 24 hours afterwards (schedule may be delayed based on real life). I will accept one answer per person each set of clues-- multiple entries will be ingored

If you have questions about the semantics of the questions, I will answer PMs or posts here. I will also answer /tells, if I am not on a ship. Please do a /w first. In order to be fair to everyone, I will not give out any hints. If I see similar questions popping up regularly, I will post the answer here.
----------------------------------------
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Sep 1, 2011 3:59:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

Re: Who got the gator? entry thread (win a gator here)

* The pirates involved were named Bonnieanne, Captinkirk, Circe, Cleopatraa, Ellenripley, Frederic, Jeanlafitte, Jimhawkins, Mabel, Miranda, Othello, Rudigore, Sinbaddest, and Yumyum.
* The ship entered 2-2-2 each time.
* No one was planked during the trip.
* No unusual shipboard activities or orders were given, including (but not limited to) unneeded station changes.
* Everyone is the same gender as the person they were named after.
* Six of the people who were on the ship live on Aimuri, two on Sayer's Rock, two on Armstrong, and one each on Pukru, Chachapoya, Alkaid, and Doyle.
* There are no special events going on during this trip.
* Four pirates have peglegs, five have eyepatches, five have hooks, two have starfish, and two have no injuries.
* The number of chests foraged on the first entry by pirate was 2, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5, 7. On the second entry, it was 2, 4, 4, 5, 5, 6.
* Male pirates carried a cleaver, dadao, falchion, rapier, scimitar, and two sticks. Females carried a backsword, falchion, foil, katana, skull dagger, stick, and stiletto.
* Female pirates carried a blackjack, cane, gaff, hammer, and skull rings. Males carried a belaying pin, blackjack, broken bottle, chain, fish, rope coils, and skeleton bone.

* A player whose bludgeon gives opponents charged balls is in Enforced Enlightenment.
* A player with a blackjack lives on Chachapoya.
* A player with a starfish left after the first entry.
* A senior officer is named for a historical pirate.
* All the females that foraged during both entries did better the first entry than the second. All the males that foraged during both entries did better the second time than the first.
* An officer from HMS Pinaforte sailed during the second entry.
* Bonnieanne has an eyepatch and a pegleg. She is the only non-captain to have multiple injuries.
* Bonnieanne lives in the same archipelago as the pirate using a hook for a bludgeon.
* Both players with a pegleg and a hook are named for fictional characters in classical literature.
* Both players with blackjacks were in the second entry.
* Captinkirk's weapons cost him 32 doubloons.
* Circe and Yumyum are both ranked as pirates.
* Circe does not take any station other than rigging. She is an alt who has never sunk.
* During the first entry, bilge was manned entirely by pirates from HMS Pinaforte.
* During the first entry, both carpers had sticks.
* During the first entry, Circe foraged fewer chests than any player with a hook.
* During the first entry, players with peglegs foraged a total of 12 chests.
* Each time a player reached the island, he foraged a minimum of one chest.
* Ellenripley used the same weapons as her thralls.
* Every player who stayed for the second entry entered on the same station they were on for the first entry.
* Everyone from Pandemic lives in the same archipelago.
* Everyone named after a character in a Gilbert & Sullivan production is in the crew HMS Pinaforte.
* Four males have the rank of pirate.
* Frederic foraged two fewer chests than Jeanlafitte the first entry.
* HMS Pinaforte had two members who came aboard, but did not enter the fog. Everyone from Enforced Enlightenment who came aboard entered the fog. Every other crew had one member who came aboard, but did not enter the fog.
* Immediately before the cursed isles trip, Bonnieanne, the male with a falchion, and the player with a cane were on a pillage. The player who lives on Alkaid and the player with the katana were in Atlantis; and Othello was in Haunted Seas. Those were the only voyages made by any of the players this day.
* Jimhawkins, Miranda, and Cleopatraa are all captains.
* Mabel's weapons are related to each other.
* Miranda and the pirate with a stiletto live on Sayer's Rock.
* No officers or senior officers in Wild Chicks made the second entry.
* No pirate with an eyepatch has any weapon that requires doubloons to purchase.
* One independent pirate foraged two chests the first entry. Another one foraged five on the same entry.
* One of the carpers scored double the number of chests that player got the first entry.
* One of the pirates named for a historical pirate is independent.
* One of the pirates named for a mythological person is independent.
* One of the players with no injury uses a belaying pin.
* One player needs only a pegleg to get the full set of permanent injuries.
* Othello and Jimhawkins are in the same crew. The one with the chain did not enter the fog.
* Rudigore bought the most expensive sword he possibly could, but his bludgeon is CI junk won on a previous day. Rudigore shops at Elf Shot on Sayer's Rock, purveyor of fine cutlery and sponsor of this contest, who are proud to announce that, as they were chosen to be the purchase place for his weapon-- they are sure that the prices won't change for the duration of this contest. Frederic, who also shops at Elf Shot, purchased the second-most expensive sword.
* Sinbaddest and Rudigore both have the same rank as the player with the broken bottle.
* Sinbaddest lives on Armstrong.
* The captain of Mirage has the most durable weapon.
* The captain of Wild Chicks navigated the entire time, and did not station-nav at any point.
* The crew Wild Chicks contains only females.
* The crew Wild Chicks has four members.
* The ghost player is an officer in Pandemic, who uses a blackjack.
* The pirate who disconnected foraged five chests.
* The pirate who lives on Pukru did not forage anything.
* The pirate with the broken bottle sailed during the second entry.
* The pirate with the dadao is an officer.
* The pirate with the rapier won the gator.
* The pirate with the skull rings bilged the second entry.
* The pirate with the stiletto and the pirate with the rapier have the same injury.
* The player that switched stations foraged the most chests during the second entry.
* The player who lives on Doyle bilged the second entry, and foraged five chests total.
* The player with the cane, the person who disconnected, the ship's navigator , and Captinkirk all live in Ursa.
* The player with the falchion and chain lives on Aimuri.
* The player with the stiletto foraged no chests.
* There are twice as many pirates as there are captains. There are more more officers than there are either captains or senior captains.
* Two members of Wild Chicks share an estate with a girl with a Pegleg.
* Two of the men from the crew HMS Pinaforte live on Aimuri.
* Two people with sticks live on Armstrong, and one lives on Doyle.
* Yumyum's sword cost the same number of doubloons as her bludgeon. Circe's weapons both cost exactly twice as much.

Edits: apparently, the apostrophies didn't copy over, so I had to manually insert them.
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Edit 5 times, last edit by xelto at Sep 1, 2011 4:38:15 PM]
[Sep 1, 2011 3:59:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

Additional clue set #1:
* Two of the pirates are named for characters from science fiction. Two are named after Shakespearean characters. Four are from Gilbert & Sullivan operettas. Two are real pirates. One is a character from pirate fiction. And Cleopatraa is in a category all of her own.
* Three players have weapons with black enamel.
* Captinkirk uses a stick.
* Rudigore never entered the fog.

Additional clue set #2:
* There was only one station change the entire voyage. During the second entry, a bilger moved to sails because a sailor disconnected and logged, before the ship reached the island.
* During the first entry, people on sails used a hammer and a broken bottle. People on carp used a skeleton bone and fists. People on bilge used skull rings and rope coils. The navigator used a blackjack.
* Othello has the ghost injury.

Additional clue set #3:
* Miranda uses a falchion.
* Jeanlafitte and Yumyum have the hook injury, but no other injuries.
* During the second entry, people on sails used a katana, a rapier, and a skull dagger. People on carp used a dadao and a stick. People on bilge used a skull dagger and a stick. And the navigator used a falchion.
* The person using her fists as a bludgeon lives on Armstrong.
* Circe foraged four chests during the first entry.
[Edit 3 times, last edit by xelto at Sep 5, 2011 3:47:23 PM]
[Sep 1, 2011 4:00:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

One clarification that has caught a couple of people: if a price is listed in doubloons, that's the ONLY part of the price being referred to-- you don't have to worry about PoE, or any conversion rate. If an item is being referred to as "most expensive", then PoE is the only part of the price you need to worry about.
[Sep 2, 2011 5:29:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

I knew I couldn't get through it without forgetting at least on contingency. So, let me add: the ship exited the island with two people on sails each time.
[Sep 3, 2011 4:08:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

Sorry about this coming out late-- I had one of those "drop everything" service calls come up-- except that this was one of the most asinine service calls I ever dealt with. Anyway, first, a few clarifications for people, based on some of the tells and PMs I've received:
* This was one CI trip with two entries. Some of the people listed hopped on the ship, but for one reason or another, disembarked before the ship entered the CI map, so they did no foraging and collected no chests. Seven people entered each time-- two on sails, two on carp, two on bilge, and one person navigating.
* No, the 32 doubloon cost for Captinkirk's weapons is not a typo.
* Everyone, for purposes of this contest, carries one sword and at most one bludgeon.

And now, on to the new clues:

* Two of the pirates are named for characters from science fiction. Two are named after Shakespearean characters. Four are from Gilbert & Sullivan operettas. Two are real pirates. One is a character from pirate fiction. And Cleopatraa is in a category all of her own.
* Three players have weapons with black enamel.
* Captinkirk uses a stick.
* Rudigore never entered the fog.

And finally, a few quick design notes: all additional clues are going to be posted both in the last message of the thread, so that people trying to solve it can see that there's a new message, and also will be duplicated in the third message of the thread, so that people approaching the puzzle later on can get the clues in one place.

I'm glad that people have found this enjoyable. I did have some concerns about the difficulty: never having either done or seen something like this attempted in the forums, I wasn't sure how hard to make it, so I went with what you got: very tough, followed by additional clues if needed. After the entire event is over, please drop me a PM, or post here how you felt about the overall difficulty, so I can adjust appropriately if/when I do it again. Also, if you have any questions about "how do you figure that out?", I will be glad to answer them... though once again, after the event only.
[Sep 3, 2011 5:48:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

New clues:

* There was only one station change the entire voyage. During the second entry, a bilger moved to sails because a sailor disconnected and logged, before the ship reached the island.
* During the first entry, people on sails used a hammer and a broken bottle. People on carp used a skeleton bone and fists. People on bilge used skull rings and rope coils. The navigator used a blackjack.
* Othello has the ghost injury.
[Sep 4, 2011 3:59:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

New clue set:

* Miranda uses a falchion.
* Jeanlafitte and Yumyum have the hook injury, but no other injuries.
* During the second entry, people on sails used a katana, a rapier, and a skull dagger. People on carp used a dadao and a stick. People on bilge used a skull dagger and a stick. And the navigator used a falchion.
* The person using her fists as a bludgeon lives on Armstrong.
* Circe foraged four chests during the first entry.

There is only one more set of clues planned. If, after that point, nobody has gotten a correct answer set, I will award the gator to the person who answered the most questions correctly, out of all the entries I have seen by Saturday evening. (Each part of each question will count as a single answer for this-- IE, there are 14 possible points for how many chests each person foraged, 2 for the injury question, 2 for the weapon question, and one for who got the gator.)
[Sep 5, 2011 3:46:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

We have a winner! Congratulations to Nil for successfully completing the puzzle.

Answer here (and for some reason, I'm not seeing any way to make it invisible):

How many chests were foraged by each player?
Bonnieanne - 0
Captinkirk - 5
Circe - 6
Cleopatraa - 0
Ellenripley - 4
Frederic - 3
Jeanlafitte - 5
Jimhawkins - 0
Mabel - 13
Miranda - 9
Othello - 5
Rudigore - 0
Sinbaddest - 6
Yumyum - 0
Who won the gator?
Jeanlaffite-- the guy who disconnected, naturally.
Which players are afflicted by starfish with superglue?
Frederick and Cleopatraa
Which players use blackjacks?
Miranda and Othello

Anyone who has questions about how you could figure out any specific clue, I can answer those now. For the number of people who said that there was no way that you could get a sword and bludgeon to add up to 32 dubs, even with black paint/enamel... that's the dub cost of a cutter, dhow, or fanchuan. It was a clue for two things: first, that he had a fish, and second that he was an officer or higher.
[Sep 5, 2011 5:15:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
riku743

If anyone wants to see, here's all the info that I collected. It's not very organized, and some of it I kept in my head, but this is what I have written down.

I didn't really bother with any ranks besides captain, and I probably should have.

Bonnieanne - pegleg, eyepatch, gaff, foil
Circe - rig, no injury, pirate, hammer, katana
Yumyum – pirate, no fog, cane, black stiletto, sayers, hook
Jimhawkins- captain of Pandemic, falchion, chain, no fog, Aimuri, pegleg, hook
Othello- officer in Pandemic, ghost, blackjack chachapoya dadao
Miranda- captain, Sayer's rock, hook pegleg, blackjack, falchion
Cleopatraa- captain, hook, eyepatch, starfish Pukru, backsword
Ellenripley- stick, fists, Armstrong, carp first entry eyepatch
Captain Kirk- stick, fish, Doyle, 5 chests, bilged entry 2 only eyepatch
Frederick- Cleaver, Aimuri, rope coils, bilge first entry only starfish
Jeanlaffite- sail/rig entry one, broken bottle, disconnected entry 2 hook independent, Alkaid rapier gator
Mabel- bilged both entries, skull rings, skull dagger, pegleg
Rudigore- Scimitar, Aimuri, no fog, belaying pin, no injury
Sinbaddest- Armstrong, stick, skeleton bone, carp first entry, independent eyepatch

HMS Pinafore- Frederic, Rudigore, Mabel, Yumyum
Enforced Enlightenment- Captainkirk
Pandemic- Jimhawkins, Othello
Wild Chicks-Bonnieanne, Circe, Ellenripley, Miranda
Mirage- Cleopatraa
Independent – Sinbaddest, Jeanlaffite

Armstrong- Sinbaddest, Ellenripley
Sayer’s Rock- Miranda, Yumyum
Aimuri- Frederic, Rudigore, Jimhawkins, Mabel, Bonnieanne, Circe
Pukru- Cleopatraa
Chachapoya- Othello
Alkaid- Jeanlaffite
Doyle- Captinkirk

First entry
-Circe – rig 4
-Frederic – bilge 3
-Mabel – bilge 7
-Jeanlaffite – sail 5
-Sinbaddest – carp 2
-Ellenripley – carp 4
-Miranda – nav 5

Second entry
-Mabel bilge/sail 6
-Captinkirk bilge 5
-Sinbaddest carp 4
-Jeanlaffite sail 0
-Circe sail 2
-Othello carp 5
-Miranda nav 4
Nil used to play Mala.
Lurking on the forums.
[Sep 5, 2011 5:27:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lovemachined

For the number of people who said that there was no way that you could get a sword and bludgeon to add up to 32 dubs, even with black paint/enamel... that's the dub cost of a cutter, dhow, or fanchuan. It was a clue for two things: first, that he had a fish, and second that he was an officer or higher.

Make it clearer next time, nobody would have assumed he would have bought a sloop, you could say the dub price of his swords were 111 dubs and nobody would have thought he bought a GF or w/e which sunk. My main point is that that part was too fuzzy. But good job on the rest :)
[Sep 6, 2011 1:52:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates