• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 9
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4118 times and has 8 replies Next Thread
budclare2

Obsidian hijinx Reply to this Post

It's time to start working on some of the few little things we can to start getting ready for Obsidian.

1. First, I want some feedback on the color scheme, so I can go ahead and start on the template for my message box. The main options are:
-black background, white text, grey links
-black background, grey text, white links
-black background, white or grey text, light blue or other colored links

On the one hand, blue is a nice linky color...but since the theme of the ocean is dark, light, and neutral, I lean toward one of the black/white/grey options. I think I have a slight preference for black/grey text/white links, but I want to know what other people think.

You can see them HERE.

2. Just a little thing, but I'd prefer if we made a decision soon. We won't know all the articles we'll need for a while yet, but it's not too early to start making a list of articles we'll need, so a disambiguation decision will be slightly helpful.

Obviously we'll use (Obsidian) for lots of things, pirates and crews and such. The islands pages. Whatever. The question is will we be using it for everything?

There is going to be new artwork for the buildings. For instance, there is a light inn and a dark inn; each have left and right orientations, and each will probably have two interior rooms. Obviously we shouldn't add them to the existing Inn page, since that would double its length, and we'd have to go through the trouble of marking them as obsidian only (which is fine on pages where it's genuinely needed, but...not here).

So, Inn will have "For the light and dark inns, see..." link at the top. The new page will have a similar link back to Inn.

So, the question is, do we name the new page "Inn (Obsidian)" or Inn (light and dark)"? Like probably everyone who reads this, my first thought was, "Well, of course (Obsidian)," but the more I think about it...I don't know. I wouldn't want to go too far out of my way allowing for the possibility of another dark ocean someday (Hematite? ;), but it also seems unwise to go too far in making everything Obsidian-specific.

Also, Inn (Obsidian) makes me think it's a building annoyingly named "Inn", because that's how we've always used ocean disambigs.

Thoughts? Alternate suggestions for a disambig?
----------------------------------------
Budclare on Meridian

I want a cookie.

(Imp turned me into a dolly! :D)
[May 1, 2017 9:07:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Crazymg

Re: Obsidian hijinx Reply to this Post

1. I've been stalking your sandbox :D (your crappy text is crappy made me giggle last night).

I prefer Grey text Light Blue links

2. Isn't Obsidian called Dark Seas? so wouldn't (Dark Seas) be a better option than (light and dark)?
~Princessmg~
[May 1, 2017 3:07:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jlh0605

First: Thanks, Budclare, for thinking ahead about this. :)

1: I also admit to stalking your sandbox with interest, and I also prefer the light blue links, for two reasons. One, as you mentioned, Budclare, I'm used to the whole "blue text = link" thing the internet has had going since forever. Two, as much as I like sticking to the whole black/grey/white spectrum, the light blue is so much more visible. My second choice would be the grey text with white links.

2. .. I need to think about this a bit more, I think. But my initial reaction is actually something completely different: make two new pages called Inn (Shadow Fleet themed) and Inn (Defiant Armada themed). This way, it is clear that it's just an Inn that is themed differently, and it would also work if more Dark Seas are added (assuming the same team names).

I would also be okay with "themed" being replaced with "colored", but I think "themed" is more appropriate since (I hope) the inns won't be EXACTLY the same except for color; I would assume there would be slightly different props/banners/etc.

I am obviously okay with "Page Name (Obsidian)" for anything that will be guaranteed to be ocean-specific, such as pirate/crew/flag/building/island/archipelago disambigs, etc.

3. I think your "Case 4", where only a specific section of an article applies to Obsidian, should also have a box. Without one, I fear it would be far too easy to accidentally assume that information in that section applies to all oceans. For example, the Shoppe page could have an "Obsidian Ocean" section that mentions how shoppes can be destroyed. I would think it could have text very similar to your "Case 1", perhaps saying something like "This section references {{lc:{{PAGENAME}}}} mechanics that only apply to the Obsidian Ocean."

Other examples of pages that could use this might be Player versus player, Sea Monster Hunt (and each Sea Monster Hunt, assuming map availability is indeed different), poker (as you mentioned, Budclare), doubloons, subscription (depending on if you can dubscribe with Obsidian doubloons), War, flag, crew, and I'm sure there's like 10 others.

4: Suggestion - could the black background possibly be slightly lighter? As it stands, the difference between the page background and the box background hurts my eyes.

Again, thanks, Budclare.

Edit: Found the faction names.
~Jamesh on Emerald

Galene tells ye, "You are awesome."
[Edit 1 times, last edit by jlh0605 at May 2, 2017 2:04:56 AM]
[May 2, 2017 1:57:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
jlh0605

Double-post to comment on changes Budclare made.

I love the new backgrounds. The third one (#333333) seems about right to me. It's still plenty dark, without being as startlingly contrasting from the background.
~Jamesh on Emerald

[May 4, 2017 12:09:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
budclare2

Okay, hi. Sorry. Got a little swamped.

Princessmg wrote: 
1. I've been stalking your sandbox :D (your crappy text is crappy made me giggle last night).

:D

Princessmg wrote: 
I prefer Grey text Light Blue links

Whoops, I should have added that when I made the tweak for James. Adding it now.

Princessmg wrote: 
2. Isn't Obsidian called Dark Seas? so wouldn't (Dark Seas) be a better option than (light and dark)?

Oo, good point. <3

Jamesh wrote: 
1: I also admit to stalking your sandbox with interest, and I also prefer the light blue links, for two reasons. One, as you mentioned, Budclare, I'm used to the whole "blue text = link" thing the internet has had going since forever. Two, as much as I like sticking to the whole black/grey/white spectrum, the light blue is so much more visible. My second choice would be the grey text with white links.

M'kay. What about text color? White or grey? (I'm leaning towards grey, too, so if you agree, we'll go with that, since no one else has expressed an opinion. ;)

Jamesh wrote: 
2. .. I need to think about this a bit more, I think. But my initial reaction is actually something completely different: make two new pages called Inn (Shadow Fleet themed) and Inn (Defiant Armada themed). This way, it is clear that it's just an Inn that is themed differently, and it would also work if more Dark Seas are added (assuming the same team names).

Nah, MG got it. I totally spaced on the Dark Seas thing.

The two types really belong on the same page. It's easy enough to label which faction is which (...not that it's necessary; as long as you have eyeballs, you can tell them apart), and separate pages would be twice the hassle.

Jamesh wrote: 
3. I think your "Case 4", where only a specific section of an article applies to Obsidian, should also have a box. Without one, I fear it would be far too easy to accidentally assume that information in that section applies to all oceans. For example, the Shoppe page could have an "Obsidian Ocean" section that mentions how shoppes can be destroyed. I would think it could have text very similar to your "Case 1", perhaps saying something like "This section references {{lc:{{PAGENAME}}}} mechanics that only apply to the Obsidian Ocean."

Other examples of pages that could use this might be Player versus player, Sea Monster Hunt (and each Sea Monster Hunt, assuming map availability is indeed different), poker (as you mentioned, Budclare), doubloons, subscription (depending on if you can dubscribe with Obsidian doubloons), War, flag, crew, and I'm sure there's like 10 others.

Eh, I'm not really there yet. I started making notes for it, but mostly I'm just concerned about getting the template set up and ideally the artwork worked out. (The sun and moons I have are teeny. I'll probably have to try pestering someone to see if the artists have anything bigger I can use...)

The reason I'm not ready to get into cases 4 and 5 yet is that there's really no way to know what will work best until I actually try it. I'll have to copy-and-paste some article segments into my sandbox and experiment on them. Soon. :)

(Will pester again for input when I get that far. ;)

Jamesh wrote: 
4: Suggestion - could the black background possibly be slightly lighter? As it stands, the difference between the page background and the box background hurts my eyes.

Why yes, yes it can. <3

Jamesh wrote: 
I love the new backgrounds. The third one (#333333) seems about right to me. It's still plenty dark, without being as startlingly contrasting from the background.

Gotcha.
Budclare on Meridian

I want a cookie.

[May 5, 2017 1:54:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jlh0605

Bucdlare wrote: 
M'kay. What about text color? White or grey? (I'm leaning towards grey, too, so if you agree, we'll go with that, since no one else has expressed an opinion. ;)
Grey seems fine for me. Ideally, someone with colorblindness could look and tell us what's hard for them....
~Jamesh on Emerald

[May 6, 2017 12:48:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
budclare2

Grey seems fine for me. Ideally, someone with colorblindness could look and tell us what's hard for them....

It wouldn't be an issue for colorblindness, but it could be an issue for regular vision-impairment. I checked the color ratios using a template on wikipedia and they weren't bad (i.e. the ratio met the minimum requirements so long as the text is large enough...which I will have to double-check).

I'll check on the font size and maybe tweak the ratio a bit more later.

Thanks, guys! :)
Budclare on Meridian

I want a cookie.

[May 6, 2017 5:51:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
budclare2

All right. First up, we have an example for the tiny icon in use: Poker#Bet_structure

Yes? No? Maybe?

Secondly, I forgot about the fam boxes. Drat. So the infobox color needs to be lighter so the black fams show up. It's currently on #555555, and #333333 is what we decided on before I remembered the fams. There are a few in-between shades here: User:Budclare2/Sandbox

That color is also used for the ult lists. You can see how that currently looks here: ultlist temp
Budclare on Meridian

I want a cookie.

[Jul 2, 2017 1:33:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

Some things to add that I just noticed.

The following building types look different on the stronghold islands:
Inn
Market
Palace
Shack (this includes the room you see when entering the general structure..for the dark side only)

In addition, there's a fort shell on both stronghold islands, showcasing the difference there too. Wonder if that's how these buildings will look when built by players as well?
Pirate tells you, "my, that's one BIG wad o' chewing gum ye have mounted on yer bonce! oO'"
Sungod officer chats, "I wonder if anyone's sailing the harpsichord"
Pirate tells you, "ZOMG CANDYFLOSS!!! *munches*"
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Thunderbird at Jul 2, 2017 5:20:15 PM]
[Jul 2, 2017 5:15:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates