• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 32
Posts: 32   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 6212 times and has 31 replies Next Thread
Apollo
OceanMaster

Sailing Bake-Off - Sunday 4th January 2009, 8:30am

What: Old-Style All-On-A-Ship sailing bake-off
Date: Sunday 4th January
Time: 8:30am game time (use /info to find out game time)
Who for: All the sailors on Cobalt!
Who by: Apollo / Sun

Here's how it will work.

• At 8:30am game time, I will put two event whisks up on the Noticeboard. These appear on the Events tab of the noticeboard at any colonized island.
  • Each event whisk goes to a bake-off ship. You may whisk to either. You do not need to be jobbed into the crew to take part.
  • These two ships will run parallel sailing bake-offs. If fewer than 140 participants whisk onto the two ships, we will merge onto a single ship for the bake-off.
  • I will not broadcast the event unless participation is much lower than expected.
  • Each ship will have plenty of stations for the competition puzzle. Find a station as quickly as possible so that you are not hunting for one when we start. There are stations all over the ship, including throughout the main deck, down in the hold, and in the cabins.
  • Stay quiet and do not spam. Keep chat and greetings to tells.
  • I will keep the whisks up on the board for approximately 15 minutes, or until the ships are full, whichever is the earlier. Once the whisks have gone from the noticeboard, entrance to the event is closed. Be careful not to "fall off" the ship. Participants will not be jobbed into the crew to get them back on board.
  • Once the whisking time is over, or when the ships are full, (whichever is the earlier), I will start to give instructions for the bake-off.
  • From this point, spamming or unnecessary chatter will cause you to be planked.
  • Once I have run through the instructions, the bake-off will begin.
  • In these bake-offs, the contest will consist of a single 30-minute puzzling session. We will set sail, engage with another ship, and stay in sea battle for 30 minutes. We will then disengage and return to port.
  • Competitors must be on a sailing station from the beginning of the puzzling period, and must stay on station throughout the contest, until we reach the island at the end. You may dismiss and re-take the station if you need to, but you may not stay off-station. This includes pirates who disconnect, who will get about one minute to return to station. In order to avoid confusion, anyone remaining off-station after a warning tell will be planked.
  • The duty report at the island (not the one at disengage) defines the winners.
  • For each bake-off ship, a real-life prize will be available as an option on the prize list, as well as a colored familiar, rare furniture and trinkets. There will be 12 prizes offered on each ship. Each of the top 12 finishers on the duty report chooses one prize from the list.
  • Prizewinners must stay on board. If you are not on board for prize distribution, you forfeit your prize, and the next best finisher is added to the list of prizewinners.
  • In-game prizes will be distributed immediately after the bake-off. Winners who select real-life prizes will need to petition or PM me immediately after the event with a real name and mailing address for the item to be mailed to them.

Prizes
There are 12 prizes available on each ship, and each prizewinner gets one prize and winners will take their pick in order (first place chooses first, followed by second, etc). Note that this means you cannot win a familiar AND a real-life prize!

• Real life prize*
  • Yellow/gold parrot
  • Sleeping pig or piglet
  • Sleeping tortoise or turtle
  • Leviathan's tooth rare furniture
  • Stone tablet rare furniture
  • Magenta rose x 3
  • Purple lily x 3

* The real-life prize is a choice between a tote bag, a mousepad, a mug (various designs), a pack of Y!PP playing cards.

This prize list is per ship, so if the bake-off contestants are all on one ship, just one set of these prizes will be awarded.

Note: If I am running this bake-off on TWO ships, please be patient if there are delays as I give instructions, answer questions, or distribute prizes.
[Jan 1, 2009 8:02:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Hohumdiddly

Re: Sailing Bake-Off - Sunday 4th January 2009, 8:30am

Prizes
There are 12 prizes available on each ship, and each prizewinner gets one prize and winners will take their pick in order (first place chooses first, followed by second, etc). Note that this means you cannot win a familiar AND a real-life prize!

• Real life prize*
  • Yellow/gold parrot
  • Sleeping pig or piglet
  • Sleeping tortoise or turtle
  • Leviathan's tooth rare furniture
  • Stone tablet rare furniture
  • Magenta rose x 3
  • Purple lily x 3

* The real-life prize is a choice between a tote bag, a mousepad, a mug (various designs), a pack of Y!PP playing cards.

This prize list is per ship, so if the bake-off contestants are all on one ship, just one set of these prizes will be awarded.

Look forward to the event! Just one question, you have (as bolded above) it stated that you can't win both a real life prize and a familiar, but I don't see a familiar as one of the listed prizes. Can we win a familiar in this event?

Hohum
----------------------------------------
Mazi says, "and i have freckles"
Mazi says, "and i turn into a big freckle when exposed to rays of light"
Prosperity says, "I get cute little freckles on my nosey"
[Jan 1, 2009 8:28:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
marundel

ummmm yellow/gold parrot?
Pizzahutpete on the Cerulean Ocean
Prince, Super Awesomeness
SO, Boochin' Drunks

Pizzahutpete everywhere, thanks to the merge
[Jan 1, 2009 8:58:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.thehomebrewstore.com    meadbrewer [Link]  Go to top 
Hohumdiddly

Oh god ... I'm blind.

*entrances* You did not see my previous post .... You did NOT see my previous post! */entrances*

Look forward to it!

Hohum
[Jan 1, 2009 10:08:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Which previous post? >.<
[Jan 1, 2009 12:04:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
slntslayer

Welcome to National Hangover Day Hohum
When all else fails, go blow something up.
I'm a BK hunting trollop, and how!
Rehio wrote: 
There's gotta be some law that prohibits Rashnu from having any sort of contact with greenies.

Rashnu
i R slo kiddo.....
[Jan 1, 2009 12:41:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
marundel

Vitamin B. I recommend vitamin B
Pizzahutpete on the Cerulean Ocean
Prince, Super Awesomeness
SO, Boochin' Drunks

Pizzahutpete everywhere, thanks to the merge
[Jan 1, 2009 7:27:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.thehomebrewstore.com    meadbrewer [Link]  Go to top 
Rappak

ARG. Anyday BUT that sunday and I would be happy. I have plans on sunday. Good luck everyone!
Rappak, memmer of the oceans.

Rappak- Ex-king of Something Powerful (Cobalt)/ex-Lord of Indestructible Fury, a caged free-bird forever.
Rappak- Officer in Easily Distracted (Midnight)/Mem helper in CT/Where am I?
[Jan 1, 2009 9:32:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hammer316

Looking forward to sailin with ye!!! This be me first Scheduled puzzlin competition. I be writin it in me lil black book see. Til' Sunday Mates Ye all have fun out on our wild blue yonders!!! Eagleyed ///
[Jan 2, 2009 6:27:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
IVdripper

Just proves what we knew all along, Ho.. You can take the pirate out of the crew, but you can't take the S L O W out of the pirate!

(S L O W and proud)
IVdripper/IVdripperone

"They sicken of the calm who know the storm."
-- Dorothy Parker
[Jan 3, 2009 5:37:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    On the porch, with my friends, drinking brandy,    watching the sea, and talking 'bout the good ol' days. [Link]  Go to top 
Jackarius23

looking forward to this! and by the way - how can their be sailing stations inside the cabins and below deck?
Kork, Meridian
Jackarius, Cerulean

Cleaver is going to strangle all of you.

[Jan 4, 2009 8:00:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Passionpatti

The same way there have been bilge and carp stations in odd places-- developer magic -- <spooky sound> oooooooooooo </spooky sound> Seriously all a programmer has to do is change some code :)
Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, And between the two my life moves--Nisargadatta Maharaj
----------------------------------------------------
Passionpatti
Slow Children at Play
Cobalt Ocean
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Passionpatti at Jan 4, 2009 8:20:10 AM]
[Jan 4, 2009 8:17:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Snuppy360

• Inscribed Magenta rose x 3
  • Inscribed Purple lily x 3

Fixed.
Lame -.-
Bobthegoat

Blobbles says, "Part of me wants to hit Bob with a rolled up newspaper....another part of me wants to sit him down with a colouring book at watch him attempt to stay within the lines...."

[Jan 4, 2009 10:02:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Figjam - parrot
Eustachy - playing cards
Sutter - piglet
Jov - turtle
Tippy - lily
Roseash - stone tablet
Okavango - leviathan tooth
Kargach - lily
Darknova - rose
Andra - lily
Bobthegoat - rose
Altiam - rose

Pokemonman - parrot
Shoes - mousepad
Jerae - tortoise
Azreal - pig
Pandryl - Leviathan tooth
Zacthedragon - lily
Parisa - rose
Meadflagon - stone tablet
Zefiris - lily
Futurism - rose
Yasemin - rose
Sandyseaweed - lily

Thanks, everyone!
[Jan 4, 2009 10:08:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
xL3V3Nto0n

Thank you, Apollo, for running this fun bake-off! Great job taking care of both ships! Thanks again!
. .
~~~Meadflagon~~~
-----Cobalt Cerulean, and only Cobalt Cerulean :) -----
. .
~-~-Avatar by Evilmermaid! [Mermeeeeeeeee!]
. .
[Jan 4, 2009 4:17:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
soccer212

Figjam - parrot
Eustachy - playing cards
Sutter - piglet
Jov - turtle
Tippy - lily
Roseash - stone tablet
Okavango - leviathan tooth
Kargach - lily
Darknova - rose
Andra - lily
Bobthegoat - rose
Altiam - rose

Pokemonman - parrot
Shoes - mousepad
Jerae - tortoise
Azreal - pig
Pandryl - Leviathan tooth
Zacthedragon - lily
Parisa - rose
Meadflagon - stone tablet
Zefiris - lily
Futurism - rose
Yasemin - rose
Sandyseaweed - lily

Thanks, everyone!

Wow only a Few players who actualy "Play" on cobalt Surprise.......
Rawrrr Slashy!

Trinket trader

Capnslash Cobalt ocean
[Jan 4, 2009 6:32:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Holography

I agree that future bakeoffs could be improved if the scheduling didn't allow inter-ocean alting. This makes it fairer for the natives of the ocean, and ensures that the people who are good at a certain puzzle win things for their skills. Most inter-ocean alts sell the items they obtain for POE, which gives the players with more POE a much larger chance to gain rare items. Since the point of a bake-off is to reward players who puzzle well, I believe certain changes could be made to ensure that the prizes that actually end up in the hands of an ocean native are rewarded because of their puzzling skills and not the large amount of POE they have.
Holography on Cobalt (bits and pieces in other oceans).

[Jan 4, 2009 8:26:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
soccer212

Well it does not stop a pirate who has now changed the color of the bird to i don't know try to hide it. From doing this Who is from cobalt.
Rawrrr Slashy!

Trinket trader

Capnslash Cobalt ocean
[Jan 4, 2009 8:29:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Snuppy360

I think you should need a certain amount of experience to participate in competitions/tournaments with high-stakes.
Bobthegoat

Blobbles says, "Part of me wants to hit Bob with a rolled up newspaper....another part of me wants to sit him down with a colouring book at watch him attempt to stay within the lines...."

[Jan 4, 2009 9:26:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Vexia

I think you should need a certain amount of experience to participate in competitions/tournaments with high-stakes.

Not only that. Maybe there should be a requirement such as, only allowing subbed accounts to participate? Perhaps this would discourage the casual competition ocean hopper and encourage more subbed accounts? Just a thought. It is very frustrating to know that no matter how hard you try, there is a very good chance that someone and ALT, who doesn't even regularly play on this ocean, is going to win. Oh well. /me shrugs
Princess Vexia, Raiders of the Lost Arch ~ Captain of Popularity Contest *Cobalt
[Jan 4, 2009 11:31:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jackarius23

yes! definitely!
Kork, Meridian
Jackarius, Cerulean

[Jan 5, 2009 2:59:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
superstarsam

I came to Cobalt for the fun of competing in a Bake-Off for my favourite puzzle. As I don't, and never will, play on a sub ocean, I have been swayed by the number of 'h8h8h8' tells ingame and the posts in this thread, and I'm going to give the familiar away in some way or other.

On a lighter note, I'd like to thank Apollo for running such a fantastic series of bake-offs, see you at the next one (as long as it isn't Carp, ew). :)

EDIT: I managed to give it away a lot faster than I thought I would. Congratulations to Hohumdiddly for finishing his event ^_^
Geologist - now exclusively Obsidian flavoured
[Edit 1 times, last edit by superstarsam at Jan 5, 2009 7:14:08 AM]
[Jan 5, 2009 7:00:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hohumdiddly

Yes, thank you very much for the kind offer. It goes to show you that some people do it for the pure enjoyment and challenge when they cross-ocean job, and not as a means for getting more poe. Best of luck to you in the future mate!

Hohum
[Jan 5, 2009 7:39:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Trevorius

Pre-tarting: Thanks for the bake-off, Apollo! I had fun. Congrats to everyone who won spiffy prizes. Thanks for having more than just a handful of prizes!

Most inter-ocean alts sell the items they obtain for POE, which gives the players with more POE a much larger chance to gain rare items.
IMO this is far better than it just sitting in the inventory of an alt that never logs on. Also, the ability to purchase a familiar is nice for the vast majority who have no hope of ever being #1 in one of these puzzle events. IMO buying a familiar is like winning the "all-around pirate" award.

I agree that future bakeoffs could be improved if the scheduling didn't allow inter-ocean alting.
Simultaneous identical bake-offs on each ocean would be great.

Finally: big big thank you to Cobaltgeo for trading his parrot to Hohum. Familiars need light and fresh air! Well done, sir :-)
Trevorius - Mostly retired, now with more inn-tart!
Cobalt Cerulean Ocean
Mostly lurking since 5/15/04
[Jan 5, 2009 7:59:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://raiders.tbobjohnson.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Debbi9

Why does it matter if an alt participates in our bakeoff? If you were better than them, then you should be able to beat them. Does it really matter if someone is playing on their alt?
Amberre of Cobalt

Me Carpenting

Crip says, "but i wouldnt mind her as a gf i would just use the words"
Crip says, "sthu woman."
[Jan 5, 2009 3:07:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Roleni

Why does it matter if an alt participates in our bakeoff? If you were better than them, then you should be able to beat them. Does it really matter if someone is playing on their alt?

It does if it conveys an advantage (though these people should be getting complained for alt abuse, then); there may be an optimal level for stars in a puzzle.

As far as other oceans go, though...it's more a nuisance than anything else. (For one, it can increase the overall quantity of competition, even if it doesn't increase the quality of it...or even keep home ocean players out.)

However, I'm pretty sure that home ocean mains and alts typically take home the vast bulk of prizes, no matter how many people complain otherwise...:P
Thalatta & others

Hera tells ye, "You got me so flustered by the spanking, I booched my chat response!"
Hera tells ye, "Purple is the most awesome colour ever!"
[Jan 5, 2009 3:49:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
GreenTail

I came to Cobalt for the fun of competing in a Bake-Off for my favourite puzzle.

I've entered a whole lot of bake-offs, mostly on Cobalt, and the hostility mates show toward the winners has always bothered me. One thing I have said before and I'll say it again is that I really respect the mates who come to compete from the green oceans. Unlike the Cobalt natives competing, they have no chance at any "material" reward for their efforts, only the satisfaction of a job well done. Not that most entrants are focused only on the prizes, I think, but still. The few items I have won I've been able to proudly display on me main on me main ocean. Perhaps due to experience I've become a very good loser. I sincerely congratulate the mates that win, especially the green ocean mates. In the tri-duty bake-off long ago, a mate from Sage (Kerix) won a tortoise and was getting mean vessel chat about it. I sent him a tell to congratulate and welcome him to Cobalt, he offered me the tortoise. I tried to convince him to keep it, offered him a ship to put it on, maybe he could come visit, but he insisted. So I'm waiting for him to come back, as well as another mate from another bake-off named Bigboy (I believe he was visiting from Viridian) who also gave me a tortoise.

I believe the true fun of a bake-off is not in winning the prize, but in competing against other mates in a very difficult environment. Any placement at all (that includes last, it means ye got on the ship and didn't d/c) is something to be proud of. Because they run bake-offs at different times mates should be able to compete at the time that works for them, even if the place is not ideal. So, congrats to the mates who played in this bake-off! I really see a lot more Cobalt natives in the winners' circle this time, and I hope that is because the other times work better so mates get to play at home instead of abroad.
Guppygurl, Cobalt Ocean.
[Jan 5, 2009 4:11:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Snuppy360

It matters because they can hit an incred alot easier when they are narrow and im illustrious.

And from what I hear, someone from Cobalt did win using an alt on the ship I was on because they wanted to "even out the grounds", but, 2 wrongs don't make a right.
Bobthegoat

[Jan 6, 2009 9:54:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jackarius23

It matters because they can hit an incred alot easier when they are narrow and im illustrious.

And from what I hear, someone from Cobalt did win using an alt on the ship I was on because they wanted to "even out the grounds", but, 2 wrongs don't make a right.

ty bob
Kork, Meridian
Jackarius, Cerulean

[Jan 7, 2009 10:07:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Debbi9

I honestly don't see how entering an alt is "wrong." I am not sure if the same principles apply for sailing, but whenever I do certain puzzles on my fresh alt, it is more difficult to pull incredibles because they are less stable, and when my shiny dies it drops way down.

Also, an alt is a subjective title to give anyone. My captain from Midnight came to compete in the bakeoff fun, because sailing is his favorite puzzle, very similar to Geologist. But, he has been on cobalt since the opening, and has a weight/ultimate puzzle, does that make him an alt? I wouldn't think so based off of his stats.

Lastly, there were many people who were quite rude about an alt winning on the ship, this isn't directed to you bob, you were more polite than some of the other people on the ship. Some people had said along the lines of "cross-ocean scum ruining the fun," (and various complaining) which was struck a cord for me because the winner wasn't cross ocean, nor were they scum. And despite the other winner being from another ocean, he was very generous and certain unscum-like Also, they had said this in front of Apollo's alt, which seemed like a crass comment to make instead of the nice comment of "Thanks for the event."

Anyway, Apollo, I certainly had fun despite what some of the whiners had said on the ship

--Amberre
Amberre of Cobalt

Me Carpenting

Crip says, "but i wouldnt mind her as a gf i would just use the words"
Crip says, "sthu woman."
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Debbi9 at Jan 7, 2009 7:36:25 PM]
[Jan 7, 2009 7:35:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 32   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates