• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 386
Posts: 386   Pages: 13   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 83210 times and has 385 replies Next Thread
54x

Re: Map of the Midnight Ocean Reply to this Post

I'll have a look all the same- it's sometimes hard to tell the subtle differences, but thanks for the advance warning. :) I'll check the route I've got recorded against my original map.

Oh, btw, the original map and the wallpapers have been updated with the new colours. I'm gonna send them back to pointing to my host now.
----------------------------------------
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Oct 31, 2003 11:06:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Silverstar

Is there a higher resolution version of this map somewhere?

I have trouble reading it, or even being able to tell which colors are which.
Silvermoon, First Mate, Silver Dragon Trading Company
Silverstar, Instructor, Puzzle Pirates Academy (retired)
[Nov 3, 2003 8:55:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.livejournal.com/users/chirik    Chirik    yppSilvermoon [Link]  Go to top 
54x

Map updated! It's almost complete and I need about five more routes. These are: The two from waterberry to the surrounding islands, and I've added the rough vicinity of where waterberry will likely be in case anyone goes 'I've got that map!' I need confirmation on an iris-vernal route, confirmation on the routes within jet that I'm not sure about, and confirmation on nuptial-luthien, and any possible ruby-sapphire link.

Any other charts you have that I have missed, you can pm me or give me a tell, I'd be most appreciative. Most of this map was done with the help of others, only sapphire emerald and diamond are mostly my own work, which says something for how supportive everyone has been, and I've gotten at least four people who have shown me or offered to show me maps which I have already seen between my updates, which is also kinda cool. (although I feel stink saying 'sorry, I already have it') So credit to everyone who helped, too! :)

Oh, and silver, the large res version is the next priority. It may even be up by the time you next view this thread. I simply said to myself: I'm not going to bother making it until the small version is quite complete.

Also, unlike the previous large version, I'll up the font size too, for those who can't read as well as I can :) And, of course, if you were to check the Azure large map, you'd find the colours there are clearer, too- and I'll be using the same symbols.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Nov 3, 2003 6:34:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

Opal Arch Reply to this Post

I loooove the new Opal arch! Endurance and Waterberry should be back where they were, though. Am I the only one that liked the fact that an island named "Endurance" was hard to get to?

atteSmythe,
longing for home

Attesmythe receives loot: [Gauntlets of Social Responsibility]
Attesmythe receives loot: [Ring of Mandatory Selflessness]

[Nov 4, 2003 2:42:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
DarstTLon

Any chance that you can organise high quality versions of the map to be hosted again 54x ?

Love having it as my desktop but right-click set as desktop is really blurry.
May yer cup o' Rum ne'er be empty,

Cheers,

[size=18]Darst T'Lon

Darst, Snr Officer and First Mate of the Falcons o' the Seas
[Nov 4, 2003 7:38:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

Maybe you didn't catch the meaning in my last post- getting the large version (1024x768) up is my next priority. After that I will either make another scaled up map (1280x960) or do the background for the two smaller wallpapers. Note that this time I'm gonna make the 800x600 one from the small map, so that the text blurs less :)

And although it's really close to being finished, I'd still like confirmation (or even telling me my guesses/extrapolations are wrong is most welcome, too!) of the routes that I have guessed, (in grey) and screenshots or a 'map charting visit' for any routes I don't yet have.

Oh, and RE: Endurance, although it was strangely appropriate, I like the fact that in the 'newer' rustic archs (opal & coral) the second colonisable islands have been moved much closer to the inter-arch route, while the greek letter islands which I like to think of as Arch capitals are in central yet accessable positions. So far the only arch I don't like in Midnight is emerald, but we've all already heard my opinions on that :)
from Midnight.
[Nov 4, 2003 12:12:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
DarstTLon

Sorry mate - booched myself there - didnt even read your post before I requested it....

I am at the mercy of the "Boochers"....
May yer cup o' Rum ne'er be empty,

Cheers,

[size=18]Darst T'Lon

Darst, Snr Officer and First Mate of the Falcons o' the Seas
[Nov 4, 2003 12:57:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

Nobody will be using booched like that in MY thread ;) lol
from Midnight.
[Nov 4, 2003 2:38:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
54x

Large version is up for those who use higher resolutions. Prettified versions ought to follow soon enough.
from Midnight.
[Nov 5, 2003 6:04:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Arkenor

You're more than welcome to hop aboard my vessel and peruse the map table at any time sir, if it would help.

Looking forward to the 1024 by 768. No more horrid squashing/clipping. Yay!
[Nov 5, 2003 6:23:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Syllabic

Angelfish to Meke is a very hard route. Papaya to Byrne is hard.
Armistice, trader extraordinaire
[Nov 5, 2003 7:17:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Arrindier [Link]  Go to top 
54x

What ships over green attack you on those routes? That's how I know which colour to use.

@Arkenor: The 1024x768 IS up, but not the prettified wallpaper one. You still have the perfectly functional image that needs resizing, as it is 1100x1000.
from Midnight.
[Nov 6, 2003 2:58:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Silverstar

Gaea-Spring Reply to this Post

The Southern Gaea-Spring route (past Tinga) does not hit either Tinga or Epsilon. In the case of Epsilon, the route connects the League points next to Epsilon on either side... Unsure about Tinga, but it's probably the same (And, for that matter, I don't know if you care about this kind of detail - the points are there, still, just not connected)

Oh, yeah. Thanks for the larger version (which I can actually read ;-) and the work in creating them.
[Nov 6, 2003 5:24:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.livejournal.com/users/chirik    Chirik    yppSilvermoon [Link]  Go to top 
54x

Thanks, I'll put this in the next update, I'd never seen that map before.

I assume it goes southeast all the way until it nears pring, and then goes southwest to connect the the island itself?
from Midnight.
[Nov 6, 2003 6:01:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

Re: Gaea-Spring Reply to this Post

Silverstar wrote: 
The Southern Gaea-Spring route (past Tinga) does not hit either Tinga or Epsilon. In the case of Epsilon, the route connects the League points next to Epsilon on either side... Unsure about Tinga, but it's probably the same (And, for that matter, I don't know if you care about this kind of detail - the points are there, still, just not connected)

Woah! Post screenies of that bad-boy.

atteSmythe,
curious about a gaea-spring route

Attesmythe receives loot: [Gauntlets of Social Responsibility]
Attesmythe receives loot: [Ring of Mandatory Selflessness]

[Nov 6, 2003 6:05:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
54x

See those league points coming off the (south)west of epsilon? I'm assuming he means that it runs THROUGH those and all the way until the league point northeast of Spring.

Given a guess I'd say that there is likely to be another map like this, givern how emerald seems to be a speedbump between opal/jet/pearl and diamond.
from Midnight.
[Nov 6, 2003 6:21:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Silverstar

54x wrote: 
Given a guess I'd say that there is likely to be another map like this, givern how emerald seems to be a speedbump between opal/jet/pearl and diamond.

I'd hazard a guess where any island is just OFF of a route, any map which bypasses the island probably also doesn't make the little side track to the island in the first place, but that's just a guess - I'm only familiar with the area around Epsilon (specifically, I've only Nav'd Gaea -> Spring via Tinga (and back) and Spring -> Gaea via Emporer, and Gaea - Epsilon - Guava and back.

I've got all of Gaea - Epsilon memorized. For some reason, though, I also have the league point Cnossis and Alpha are on, although I've never sailed anywhere near there (I have been to Alpha/Cnossis, but by whisking to a Navy ship that was about 3 leagues out on its way to Guava, and swimming to shore)
[Nov 6, 2003 7:36:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.livejournal.com/users/chirik    Chirik    yppSilvermoon [Link]  Go to top 
Silverstar

54x wrote: 
I assume it goes southeast all the way until it nears pring, and then goes southwest to connect the the island itself?

Err... I'm not sure. From Gaea, goes FOUR league points southeast, then southwest (existing map shows 3 leagues southeast, one east [to Epsilon], then southwest) It does something similar around Tinga. You can sail Gaea-Spring without ever seeing Epsilon / Tinga.

Now I'm wondering if I am misremembering, though. I've only been naving a little bit, but for some reason, I noticed that the route to spring via Tinga didn't actually go through Epsilon's league point, but the Emperor direction did (I think)

Ahh, shucks, I'll have to check when I get home tonight to verify. I don't want to be responsible for bad data getting into the map, if I'm wrong. I'll update this later...
[Nov 6, 2003 7:45:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.livejournal.com/users/chirik    Chirik    yppSilvermoon [Link]  Go to top 
54x

Just take a screenshot using an auxiliary program that shows all the appropriate league points and pm it to me, would be fine, the descriptions seem somewhat confusing.

As for the veracity of the map, both in the Azure map and this map there have been one or two mistakes that were my own fault, and I have a tendancy to add information as quickly as possible to try and get a better rough picture rather than a 100% accurate but incomplete picture. Also I know one of my grey routes is incorrect and will be uploading another update soon with it as a correct, black route. I'm not some sort of map god, I just have a few PSP skills and I enlisted a lot of help to complete a picture of each Ocean.
from Midnight.
[Nov 6, 2003 7:58:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Mercano

Playing with GIMP when I should be sleeping. Well, after putting the time into converting the large Midnight map into a wallpaper, I might as well share my work with the world.

My 1280*1024 Midnight wallpaper, and, for posterity, Azure, though I may not be using the last copy of that map.

Sorry to jump out ahead of you with the wallpaper, Diamondblade.
Mercano, in need of a new .sig
[Nov 6, 2003 5:38:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

No problem, no problem. Did you use a screenshot for the background? I play having PSPing all of the navscreen components from .yohoho together to form my own background, which seems kinda inefficient.

Also note that these icons are from my 'map toolkit' which has a few other icons as well, and I'll be updating it for a 1280x1024 version as well- so I'm going to scale up the map AGAIN :) I don't like sizing upwards, it looks horrible :) The current 'large' will be 1024x768.
from Midnight.
[Nov 6, 2003 6:31:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Mercano

Nope, it's all from .yohoho. I tured the background_parchment.png into a fill pattern and just used the paint bucket.
[Nov 7, 2003 2:30:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

Yep yep, figured that much, I meant how did you get the square grid? I couldn't find that.

Oh, and btw, it's updated with my own, anti-aliased wallpapers.
from Midnight.
[Nov 7, 2003 12:33:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Mercano

Well, since you asked...

Used the pencil to get a short strait line segment, then copy, paste repeat. It isn't as bad as it sounds, as the length doubles ever time. Once I got a full line, copied it, pasted it a grid width appart, the copy and pasted the pair a bunch, overlaping one of the new lines with one of the old ones so the grid width was standard. Then just coppied the whole set of lines, rotated 90 degres, and volia, grid. Pretty much the same thing for the compass lines, but on a seperate layer so I could move them arround seperatly.

You did ask. ;)

Edit: Oh, by the way, is Alpha-Winter confirmed? I memorized the rest of Diamond, but couldn't find a copy of that map on any of my crew's ships. Is it rare or am I done with the arch?
[Nov 7, 2003 3:11:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

So how did you confirm it's size? Eh, doesn't really matter, I think the square grid would probably clutter it too much. Already the compass lines can be confusing.

I believe it either does not exist or is quite rare. I'm thinking of removing it from the map, actually.
from Midnight.
[Nov 7, 2003 3:58:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Sagittary

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned but the league lines are very hard to see, 'specially for us colour blind folk. :)
Darkwaters, Captain of the Sagely Swashbucklers, Owner of the Mean Stickleback & the Ignorant Grunion
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
joedigriz

Mercano wrote: 
Edit: Oh, by the way, is Alpha-Winter confirmed? I memorized the rest of Diamond, but couldn't find a copy of that map on any of my crew's ships. Is it rare or am I done with the arch?

Very rare, but does exist. My cap'n borrowed one for a short time to memorize the route.
Garbuck - Red Mantis Scapegoat and Pretty Pretty Princess
[Nov 7, 2003 5:10:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jal_95    joedigriz [Link]  Go to top 
54x

Thanks for confirming that! :) Must be pretty rare because most of the ocean is doubting its existance.

As for colourblind... I could make you a special version with shadows on the coloured routes, but I'd have to wait until the whole thing is finished. I know what it's like myself- I have horrible trouble with red and green nowadays.
from Midnight.
[Nov 7, 2003 8:08:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Arkenor

The wallpaper links don't seem to be working for me. I get called a foolish mortal though, which almost makes up for my disapointment.

And if anyone can lend me a winter-alpha map I'd be ever so (and quite possibly financially) grateful!
[Nov 8, 2003 7:58:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

Heheheh, that's my host's (Planetdiablo's) 404 error page. I didn't upload them properly when I thought I had. But now the wallpapers are back up and the maps themselves have a couple new routes.
from Midnight.
[Nov 8, 2003 8:13:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 386   Pages: 13   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates