• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 386
Posts: 386   Pages: 13   [ First Page | Previous Page | 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 83251 times and has 385 replies Next Thread
Quizzical

Re: Map of the Midnight Ocean Reply to this Post

I thought the most expensive item was a familiar, followed by a black/black bandolier's jacket.
----------------------------------------
There is no "i" in "complex numbers".
[Aug 2, 2004 3:53:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rappak

I said foragable/winable stuff. You really can't win a black/black jacket or a familar on a daily basis. Probably an island is up there too if you wanted to count those things, but I'm not since I made the qualification earlier.
Rappak, memmer of the oceans.

Rappak- Ex-king of Something Powerful (Cobalt)/ex-Lord of Indestructible Fury, a caged free-bird forever.
Rappak- Officer in Easily Distracted (Midnight)/Mem helper in CT/Where am I?
[Aug 2, 2004 3:59:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mypitagirl

maps Reply to this Post

Great job on the map! But is there any place where I can get a copy of the map that I can print? I have tried to print this map but I only get a portion of it. I have tried adjusting my printer settings to fit it on 1 page but it wont work...and it only prints up a portion of this map and I cannot get the rest to print...any ideas or tips? Thanks....Mypitagirl :)
"A true friend is someone who thinks
you are a good egg
even though he knows
you are slightly cracked."

MyPitaGirl- Captain of Royal Pita's of Midnight & Princess of Sans Dramatica Flag
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

Re: maps Reply to this Post

mypitagirl wrote: 
Great job on the map! But is there any place where I can get a copy of the map that I can print? I have tried to print this map but I only get a portion of it. I have tried adjusting my printer settings to fit it on 1 page but it wont work...and it only prints up a portion of this map and I cannot get the rest to print...any ideas or tips? Thanks....Mypitagirl :)

What program are you using to print it in? Your browser?
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Aug 4, 2004 10:40:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Sweevo

Diamondblade, will outpost islands (like Orca and Ostreum and whichever others the devs decide on) be marked as colonised islands or are you going to create a new key item for them? Was just thinking it'll be useful to see at a glance which islands are outposts and which are fully colonisable/at varying stages of development as shown on the existing map.
Sweevo
[Aug 9, 2004 9:24:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

Sweevo wrote: 
Diamondblade, will outpost islands (like Orca and Ostreum and whichever others the devs decide on) be marked as colonised islands or are you going to create a new key item for them? Was just thinking it'll be useful to see at a glance which islands are outposts and which are fully colonisable/at varying stages of development as shown on the existing map.

I'm currently going to be marking as rough stages of development.

ALL outposts will be triangles permanently. I'm debating with myself whether I want outpost-sized islands that aren't outposts to be circles or not. Palaces will get you a circle.

I also reserve the right to give you an icon in advance if I know the next update will take ages, and delay giving you an icon if I'm not convinced it's coming soon.

Heph and Eta will have circles next version, and possibly Emperor, Oyster, and Wrasse. Orca and Ostreum will have triangles.

After Nu is taken and papaya reopened, Xs may be used for outposts instead so that I can solve my confusing problem. ;)
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Aug 9, 2004 2:53:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
altmerman55

Sorry if this was mentioned before in this post, but I'm too lazy to go through it all. ;)

I know this map is old, and routes may have not been updated, but I just went for a pillage on a brig around the Pearl Archipelago, and the routes seem pretty hard. The farther you get into the archipelago around Zeta and Tadpole, all you see is imperial and sea lord brigands. Some of the ships were pretty hard to beat, it actually became pretty close.
[size=10]Sheo says, "We're duking it out after this"
Peax says, "With great pleasure."
Feegle says, "You guys DO know that it's the arguing, and not the poe or blood, that convinces me to come along on your pillages, right?"

[Aug 10, 2004 6:10:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Sheo55 [Link]  Go to top 
LongJohnGrey

Is it my mistake, or do the first two maps on page 1 still show spring as a foragable island?
Re: Market on Scurvy Reef:
Hypnos wrote: 
I didn't realize it was such a hot forage spot until I dropped it and three pirates showed up on the island in quick succession.
And it wasn't even 9 spaces from the arrow :-).
[Aug 10, 2004 7:28:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

LongJohnGrey wrote: 
Is it my mistake, or do the first two maps on page 1 still show spring as a foragable island?

Either your cached image needs updating (ctrl-refresh the first page) or your vision means that it's best you stick to the largest map, because I see circles in both cases.
from Midnight.
[Aug 10, 2004 10:06:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
LongJohnGrey

It's definately my eyesight then. Dark green circle, black arrows pointing in the up/down/left/right (fire), it's my eyes.

And yes, I do use the XXXl version.
Re: Market on Scurvy Reef:
Hypnos wrote: 
I didn't realize it was such a hot forage spot until I dropped it and three pirates showed up on the island in quick succession.
And it wasn't even 9 spaces from the arrow :-).
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

LongJohnGrey wrote: 
It's definately my eyesight then. Dark green circle, black arrows pointing in the up/down/left/right (fire), it's my eyes.

And yes, I do use the XXXl version.

Ouch, sounds nasty :/ I imagine you're one of those people who has font size set really large and makes trouble for poor web designers? ;)
from Midnight.
[Aug 11, 2004 8:30:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
BehindCurtai

113% magnification on my 800 by 600.

And I do that because IE 6 refuses to honor the menu command for font size. You know, view -> Text size. IE 6 seems to think that because the style sheet says 9 point, that no matter what setting I say, 9 points is what I want. After all, I could design a whole new style sheet of my very own (one single sheet) to cover all of my web surfing, right?

Contrast 9 point, at 200 dpi print, at a distance of 15 inches, versus "9 point at xx dpi", at a distance of 35 inches, where xx is either 72, 75, or 92, depending on what the graphical system designer assumes that others will use because that's what their eyes work fine with.

Measured DPI on my monitor, at 800 x 600, is 56. And I set my scaling to 113% to deal with the "fixed sizes" -- the things that windows insist must be that tiny tiny font that the windows developers can read but the rest of us cannot.

Still, it's interesting. Shows yet another way that the java file requestors do not behave the same as the windows file requestors (Windows scales its stuff by the magnification scale; java does not. But then, I think the java plan of "Make every program look the same no matter what system it runs on" is a broken plan. Much better to use the native system, just ask anyone that had to port an OpenStep 4.2 program to Mac Cocoa in OsX. :-)
"We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
Quizzical

Just use Opera and if you think something is the wrong size, it only takes a couple seconds to resize it, or shift it back. That's also useful for dealing with people who decide to make really small text and think that no one will be able to read it.
BehindCurtai

But it's not the browser. It's everything.

In windows, IE isn't just a browser. It's the system's HTML display engine system.

All of the system help files. Many of the system's interaction thingies. Lots and lots of parts of the system use this big box of API's (and I have no idea how many are publicly documented, and how many are private to microsoft).

And, unlike mail, where the MAPI has a clear way to say "This is how a program says I am a MAPI provider", there is exactly one HTML provider in the windows universe.

The .dll libraries that are behind the IE application/icon (lets face it, the IE program itself is just a tiny stub that uses those libraries) are used all over.

And even if that was not the only problem, it affects everything.

All those programs that have fixed panels that have 9 point fonts hardwired into them. Etc.

Yes, the advanced display tab has a way to change the font size of panels. Some of them, anyways.

Yes, I can change fonts all over the place, in all those settings.

Yes, I can go into (don't remmber where it is), and select large fonts. But that breaks some programs that stop working properly.

What does work?

Selecting a DPI magnification, and then going back and adjusting all the advanced display properties back to reasonable numbers. Yep, the microsoft windows explorer shell program doesn't properly honor microsoft's own system's scaling factor.

But what you have left is something that works for all programs, mostly. Ok, java ignores it. Other programs do. Some even scale their graphics by the scaling factor, others do not.

It's not just web pages.
"We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

[Aug 11, 2004 5:29:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
Casebier

It may be just me, but could you make the colored dots for each segment a "little" bigger please? I still have a hard time figuring out the difficulty of each route, and if the route even HAS a difficulty assigned to it yet or not.
-Casebier
-GnomeAnn
Officer of Fun House
[Aug 12, 2004 12:04:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

You appear to have OMB, Iris, and Cowslip being produced at Eta. No more, no more...

atteSmythe,
not sure if that'd been mentioned...

Attesmythe receives loot: [Gauntlets of Social Responsibility]
Attesmythe receives loot: [Ring of Mandatory Selflessness]

[Aug 16, 2004 3:31:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
Quizzical

Marketed islands are off on a bunch of things. Orca doesn't produce madder, Hephaestus' Forge doesn't produce stone, and Emperor produces cane, for starters.
[Aug 16, 2004 3:57:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

Casebier wrote: 
It may be just me, but could you make the colored dots for each segment a "little" bigger please? I still have a hard time figuring out the difficulty of each route, and if the route even HAS a difficulty assigned to it yet or not.

Hmmm. I could do this for the biggest map. On my list it goes.

atteSmythe wrote: 
You appear to have OMB, Iris, and Cowslip being produced at Eta. No more, no more...

atteSmythe,
not sure if that'd been mentioned...

I already have this changed on my local version. Cheeky adjustments. What sort of island ONLY produces wood anyway? ;)

Quizzical wrote: 
Marketed islands are off on a bunch of things. Orca doesn't produce madder, Hephaestus' Forge doesn't produce stone, and Emperor produces cane, for starters.

They (devs) killed the madder on Orca? Jeez. Thanks for making my job harder ;) A bunch of this stuff definately contradicts earlier foraging and market buying experience, so I guess stuff HAS been changed. :/
from Midnight.
[Aug 16, 2004 10:51:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
54x

Updated the island graphics, including park. Updated purchasable maps, forageable/market-spawning commodities and also a little bit of pearl difficulty. Hooray.
from Midnight.
[Aug 22, 2004 1:06:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
ivazquez

Your extra-large commodity map seems to be missing or something.
Indeed wrote: 
You people are like hare krishnas. What do i have to do , beat you over the head?

[Aug 22, 2004 1:19:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

Hmmm. Must be an error while saving or copying to disk. I'll re-upload it next time I can.
from Midnight.
[Aug 22, 2004 1:40:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Casebier

54x wrote: 

I already have this changed on my local version. Cheeky adjustments. What sort of island ONLY produces wood anyway? ;)

Park only produces Wood (until they build a market)
-Casebier
-GnomeAnn
Officer of Fun House
[Aug 23, 2004 1:11:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jacktheblack

Casebier wrote: 
54x wrote: 

Park only produces Wood (until they build a market)

Park has always produced Stone, Wood, and some useless herb I don't remember right now...
[Aug 23, 2004 1:49:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jacktheblackypp    samergamer [Link]  Go to top 
Quizzical

Lobelia.

I went there and carefully inspected the island myself.
[Aug 23, 2004 2:03:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

Thanks. On the list it goes. About to re-upload the large forage map.
from Midnight.
[Aug 24, 2004 6:26:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Quizzical

Nice updates.

I went to Remora a couple times and couldn't find any sugar cane on the island. You also have it listed as spawning nettle, which I couldn't find there, but nettle is hard to find even when staring at it, so I might have just missed it.

Emperor still spawns sugar cane.
funnybones

Quizzical wrote: 
Nice updates.

I went to Remora a couple times and couldn't find any sugar cane on the island. You also have it listed as spawning nettle, which I couldn't find there, but nettle is hard to find even when staring at it, so I might have just missed it.

I am nearly positive that it spawns sugar cane, no idea about nettle though.
The Dread Pirates Robinson & Barthes, LLC

The poor complain; they always do. But that's just idle chatter.
Our system brings rewards to all. At least, to all who matter.

[Aug 25, 2004 2:24:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

Quizzical wrote: 
Nice updates.

Have you tried foraging it? I generally feel this is more reliable than walking around the island, as you might miss something and ask me to remove it when it is actually still there.

Hmmm. Someone told me to remove emperor's cane a while ago, but I think that was before bidding. Guess it was just being camped.
from Midnight.
[Aug 25, 2004 7:17:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
ivazquez

54x wrote: 
About to re-upload the large forage map.

Beautiful. Many thanks for all your hard work.
Indeed wrote: 
You people are like hare krishnas. What do i have to do , beat you over the head?

[Aug 25, 2004 9:08:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Quizzical

Emperor reliably had lots of cane on the market even long before the advent of market bidding.

The test will be when some islands that weren't previously biddable become so, and predictions can be tested. I have a hard time spotting nettle and weld, so don't take my predictions on those particular commodities anyway.

Anyway, I'm predicting that, if they build a fort, Park will spawn Lobelia and not Hemp, Remora will not spawn sugar cane, and Chaparral will not spawn pokeweed berries. If I'm wrong, then I might be mistaken in my methods, or the methods could be fundamentally flawed if it is too hard to find some commodities. If I'm right, then inspecting all the uncolonized islands this way may well be a more reliable way to get data than trying to get forage data from a huge number of people.
[Aug 25, 2004 11:06:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 386   Pages: 13   [ First Page | Previous Page | 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates