• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 13
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1663 times and has 12 replies Next Thread
Joondashbug

Practicing Portrait Bgs and Other Art During Off Season... Reply to this Post

Nice to be back after being away for about a year due to life. I look forward to portrait backgrounds making a return, but because I've already started doodling and would like absolutely need feedback to improve before progressing further, and because we don't yet have a date of when the next contest may be, I thought of starting this thread to post any kind of artwork that we want critiquing, suggestions, and/or comments in the meantime... or just simply to share what ye've all drawn! Doesn't necessarily have to be portrait backgrounds, it could be fan art, banners, avatars... anything! I've been going through all the old portrait background contest threads just because it's super inspiring to see the progress of all the arrtists' projects, and I would love to see the YPP art community being active again! I'm really privileged to have so many talented arrtists helping me learn how to draw and I know many feel the same way. :) Let's continue practicing and improving!

Should the portrait background contest start soon certainly hope so! , we can always come back after the contests are finished to get started on our next piece of artwork or doodling any possible ideas for future projects.

Hope ye've all been well! :)
So far I'm not aware of any similar threads out there... but if so please let me know! Thank ye and sorry for a new thread in advance.
----------------------------------------
Forum avatar by Cattrin
Frost from Emerald Ocean
[Aug 30, 2017 8:46:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Joondashbug

Re: Practicing Portrait Bgs and Other Art During Off Season... Reply to this Post

To start, I've been slowly outlining this for almost a month now because learning how to draw is indeed frustrating at times lol
Still working on outlining, but there are a few areas that keep bothering me because I'm not sure if it looks right...
I've never learned how to draw in the right perspective, so not sure if the buildings are drawn correctly, but because I started with the bridge having that angled base, I started drawing the inn with the same angled base since it was supposed to be right across whereas the tailor bazaar is pretty much straight on facing forward. I'm also not certain how steep the angle on inn's roof outline should be to get it in the right perspective... does it look ok or needs fixing?

There will probably be other things that need to be changed that I'm not seeing. Any help or input would be much appreciated!
Does anything look off?

EDIT: Decided to nix the duplicate with all the circled areas to make it more simple. Feel free to let me know if it looks alright or if ye see anything from the original that needs adjusting, thank ye!
Forum avatar by Cattrin
Frost from Emerald Ocean
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Joondashbug at Aug 31, 2017 4:17:00 PM]
[Aug 30, 2017 9:02:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Re: Practicing Portrait Bgs and Other Art During Off Season... Reply to this Post

So far I'm not aware of any similar threads out there... but if so please let me know! Thank ye and sorry for a new thread in advance.

[I think you want this thread.] ;)

It's in disuse at the moment since people would post portait WIPs in the portrait threads- but since there are no portrait threads...

But I do not think this is a bad thread either, who cares if it's a duplicate.

---

Your WIP looks great so far- very detailed and tidy. The perspective on the buildings look particularly nice.

I have a few points that look weird to me, though:

1) The bridge railing looks weird, perspective-wise. Right now it looks like it could have the shape of a banana instead of a curved rectangle.

The sketch is freehanded, so it's probably a little off on the angles.

I took a stab on figuring out why it looks weird, and here's what I got. If you follow out the lines the rectangular base part of the bridge on the far shore, it heads in those red lines. So, the other side of the bridge should have another base where they end, which ends up being in-frame a little.

From there I thought about how the bridge curve itself would look a little lopsided, like a sideways J, since closer it'll look more flat. The rectangle I sketched in the top of the curve is where I think the middle of the bridge/top of the curve would be, if looking at it from the side.

That's an important point, because the top flat line of the box should stay there, which will help the banana look more like a flat-topped railing.

Does that make sense?

I wasn't sure how wide of a bridge you had in your mind, so the tiny bits of the other railing peeking over in the corner would not be there if the bridge is more for carriages than a person.

2) Your line weights are a little inconsistent. Since the backgrounds will be much smaller in-game, think about having thicker lines closer to the front and thinner behind. You do have this in the cobblestones, but I think that's too drastic of a change, compared to the thicker lines in the background of the, erm, background.

A good place to try to have a line weight transition would be on the bridge- thicker lines in the foreground, bridge is thick on the foreground and transitions to thinner by the background.

I think it'd be a good idea to keep the lines up front thick like the front cobblestones, since you want to try to match the line weight of the pirate standing close to them. The far away shops and things can be thinner.

Looks great though, those aside. Take my comments with a grain of salt too, they're just ideas. :)

Unfortunately I have nothing to show myself, but maybe I will once I move into my new apartment.
Cattrin of Cerulean
Avatar by Apollo (we miss you :c), Blakbead, Angelira, Coriander, and Accelerator!

X tells ye, "Stop yo drawing fool!"

[Edit 6 times, last edit by cattrin at Aug 31, 2017 6:15:02 PM]
[Aug 31, 2017 6:01:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Taskbeta

Oh Frost dear I know how you feel!
I've won that last contest and my 3rd background still hasn't been released tho..
So I don't know how long it'll be before they get the new one started.
They've just been so busy with Obsidian and all.
Anyway, love the sketch, can't wait to see it more fine-tuned.
Bisca - Emerald Ocean

Avvy by: Cattrin
[Sep 1, 2017 2:37:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Joondashbug

[I think you want this thread.] ;)

It's in disuse at the moment since people would post portait WIPs in the portrait threads- but since there are no portrait threads...

But I do not think this is a bad thread either, who cares if it's a duplicate.

Dang, I was looking at that thread before I started this one actually lol, but was a little confused since like ye said it hasn't been used for a long time and the only posts I saw on there were from the OM's assignment so I was wondering if that thread was specifically for that. I guess we'll see if the OMs want us to move to that thread- I wouldn't mind at all!

Thank ye very much for the feedback! That is exactly what I needed, and I agree with both of yer views regarding the awkward bridge shape and the line weight inconsistency. Funny it looks a bit different as I'm using my Samsung tablet to draw this (learning new program sigh) and the lines don't look as thin and light on there as it does on my PC monitor, so I will go back and try to change that. So glad to know the buildings look fine!

I can't wait to see yer art again and congrats on moving into a new apartment! :)
Probably checking yer avatar thread more than I care to admit because that's pretty much the only active art thread atm! Might have to order another one if yer list becomes empty because giving Cattrin a break from drawing is unheard of. ;) haha

Oh Frost dear I know how you feel!
I've won that last contest and my 3rd background still hasn't been released tho..
So I don't know how long it'll be before they get the new one started.
They've just been so busy with Obsidian and all.
Anyway, love the sketch, can't wait to see it more fine-tuned.

Thank ye, Bisca! I saw ye had a couple backgrounds chosen from the last portrait contest, congrats!!!
Since we will be having fewer contests throughout the year and more backgrounds selected, I'd better start working on some since I've been able to do only one background in a month before and looks like there was only about a month to work on backgrounds for the last contest as well! Thinking if my background ends up not matching the theme of the contest, I can save it for future themes. For now, it's all BYOB style haha, letting my mind wander freely.
Forum avatar by Cattrin
Frost from Emerald Ocean
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Joondashbug at Sep 1, 2017 4:57:47 PM]
[Sep 1, 2017 4:44:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Joondashbug

The bridge is driving me crazy, *insert lol emoji*. Because the front end kind of stuck inside the frame after ye fixed it in yer sketch, I was wondering whether I should move the bridge more to the right to make it disappear again, move it to the left to show more of the bridge, or keep it as is, but I decided to move it to the left to show more. Any opinions on how that looks? I drew the guidelines like I knew what I was doing, but I wasn't sure I fully understood how to draw the bridge curve in the right perspective. Yer freehand sketch is already perfect!

Forum avatar by Cattrin
Frost from Emerald Ocean
[Sep 7, 2017 4:13:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Any opinions on how that looks?

Looks great! Much better and I think will work lovely with the final image.

Can't wait to see the next update. :)
Cattrin of Cerulean
Avatar by Apollo (we miss you :c), Blakbead, Angelira, Coriander, and Accelerator!

[Sep 8, 2017 6:00:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Joondashbug

Looks great! Much better and I think will work lovely with the final image.

Can't wait to see the next update. :)

Thanks a lot for all yer help, Cattrin. Wouldn't be drawing now if it weren't for the help from ye and others in the YPP community.

My goal was to post an update after a week, but I was hoping to finish at least the outlining part of it beforehand. Unfortunately I've been struggling a lot more than I thought I would, but here's an idea of what I'm trying to finish...

Redoing the shirt next to the corset & gown outfit, not sure if the bridge lamp angle looks right (also wish I could make it.. fancier), and wanted to see how the line weight looked towards the front as I made it a tad bit darker.

Thinking of drawing some palm trees in the background to give it a more island feel to it, a sneak view inside the tailor bazaar, stone pathway for street and maybe bridge, and some kind of spilling plant over the side of the bridge if that works...

Also going to have to fix the inn column angle somehow..

Always welcoming suggestion(s) and/or feedback. :)
Forum avatar by Cattrin
Frost from Emerald Ocean
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Joondashbug at Sep 17, 2017 11:43:56 AM]
[Sep 17, 2017 11:38:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lala_baby

Hey Joon, glad to see you're back! I've also recently made an appearance, albeit not very active xD. I was also considering entering in the next contest, I don't draw as much as I used to but I'd like to think I've improved a great deal over the last, maybe 2+ years since I've played. I look forward to seeing your work again! c:
"This world is but a canvas to our imagination." - Henry David Thoreau

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Frayscarlet of Emerald

[Sep 18, 2017 2:00:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Always welcoming suggestion(s) and/or feedback. :)

Looking great!

I think the line weights work well and the bridge looks excellent.

My only suggestion would be to not get so caught up in the details of the background of the background- as you can see in your example with the overlay, you can barely even make out the outlines of the tailor and the dresses (which is good).

The trees and other plants would be a possible addition, but don't feel you have to fill every little bit up with some item- a sky can be just as pretty, and a [nicely-masoned stone bridge] just as elegant, and perhaps less crowding, as foliage.

I love the level of detail and true-to-the-game scenery that is going on, but don't forget that it's a background, and the pirate should still be the center of the viewer's attention! Too much texture and color could confuse the eye.

Feel free to put in as much detail as you want, of course, but also experiment with, say, just doing the colors and values of the path texture and not the lines.

I do this sometimes, and say "if it's beyond -this depth in the background- I'll do it lineless". It also helps sell the perspective more for very far away things.

It might come out looking very similar and save you some work!

What you have so far is lovely, this'll make a fantastic background.
Cattrin of Cerulean

[Sep 18, 2017 8:05:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Joondashbug

Hey Joon, glad to see you're back! I've also recently made an appearance, albeit not very active xD. I was also considering entering in the next contest, I don't draw as much as I used to but I'd like to think I've improved a great deal over the last, maybe 2+ years since I've played. I look forward to seeing your work again! c:

Hey Fray! Thanks, glad to see ye're back too! I really hope ye'll be able to enter into the next contest because I miss yer backgrounds. :)

@Cattrin - Thank ye for all yer valuable feedback! I haven't noticed how crowded it felt before ye mentioned it, so I'll try to keep some sky in the frame and work on the bridge somehow (not sure if I can draw a nice stone bridge, but can definitely give it a shot and see how it turns out), and I'll experiment with the lineless background as well!
Forum avatar by Cattrin
Frost from Emerald Ocean
[Sep 20, 2017 4:18:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Joondashbug

Never thought I'd see the day with the outline finished, but I think I'm almost done! A bit stumped on the bridge though because I feel like I have little space to work with on the side of the bridge towards the front. (How it gets really narrow) TBH I'm not sure I'm liking any of these... probably because I don't know what I'm doing, haha, but I do love the idea of keeping some kind of stone bridge in the background so I'll keep looking at pictures of stone bridges and scribble around...

Bridge one - Stones of different shapes and sizes, but pretty much similar to bridge two.
Bridge two - Similar size and shapes
Bridge three - Without the fancy stones going around the tunnel... but I googled stone bridges and haven't seen a single bridge without that stonework around the tunnel... idk at this point I think I've partially given up sketching ideas haha
Bridge four - Probably won't use because there's too much flagstone/stonepath looking design already going on, but I decided to include this because it makes me look like I put more effort into my work... brainstorming.. and stuff...

Welcoming all opinions!

Was too lazy to sketch ideas for the top of the bridge...
Forum avatar by Cattrin
Frost from Emerald Ocean
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Joondashbug at Sep 26, 2017 1:52:38 PM]
[Sep 26, 2017 11:23:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Welcoming all opinions!

I like #2 the best, but I think any of them would work great. :)

To add on to 2, you could put larger curving stones on top of the railing like in 1, and have them overhang the bridge a little to give a little dynamic feel.

Red scribbles are some lazy shadows.

Keep up the great work- it looks like its turning out awesome.
Cattrin of Cerulean

[Sep 27, 2017 6:07:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates