mvnForum Homepage

Print at Oct 17, 2019 4:12:02 PM
Posts: 116   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
View all posts in this thread on one page
Posted by Malted at Jan 30, 2008 8:01:32 PM
So you think you can SF? vol. 1...
...is the newest swordfighting video compilation, complete with all dual screen SFs featuring some of the game's best players. All full fights, great openers, great midgame, if you're interested in the swordfighting puzzle then you'll probably enjoy this video.

Featuring:

Novo vs. Antartic
Novo vs. Bigdoofus
Novo vs. Dunny
Novo vs. Peglegpaul
Novo vs. Side
Novo vs. Woodenleg

BOTH sides of each game are included for your viewing pleasure.

You can check out the trailer/teasure for the video on youtube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2fUnQ6VnsU

Or just DL the full video (35 MB, 26 mins, 592x580 reso) here: http://files.filefront.com/SYTYCSfinalavi/;9543659;/fileinfo.html

You'll need XViD codecs or VLC player to watch, but the codecs are only 600k and a quick and painless install so no worries. I tried messing around with windows media encoder and such but I couldn't even come close to the same compression/quality ratio as XViD.

Here's a screencap from vid to give you an idea of how it's presented:

Lemme know what you think, and enjoy
----------------------------------------
Novo, Sage
Teabagbill wrote: 
I was born and raised in Glasgow. Trust me, some 15 year old kid isn't going to win a fight against me.

Posted by storyfun227 at Jan 30, 2008 8:13:56 PM
Re: So you think you can SF? vol. 1...
mmmmmmmmmmmm.

8 mill swordfight lol.

good sfing :D

- ordain sage <3!

Posted by Setsusa at Jan 30, 2008 8:16:58 PM
Nice vid, think you could make some better attacks next time around though? ;)

- BJJ, Sage.
Cremate on Emerald.
Motou on Meridian.

Posted by GambIer at Jan 30, 2008 8:18:50 PM
Nice.... i thnk you topped all other videos on internet... heh.

~~ Metic

Posted by Chaoticjosh at Jan 30, 2008 8:28:21 PM
i'm not sure the 2 sides are sync'ed properly in some places, as its clear that swords attacks are shown on the other's side before the combo that sent them is finished...

i like it ALOT though, as i can't SF at all.
Chaoticjosh on Hunter Ocean, I'm always bored, so send me a /tell if you wanna have fun.

My avatar was made by Xjellybeanx

Posted by Malted at Jan 30, 2008 8:37:32 PM

i'm not sure the 2 sides are sync'ed properly in some places, as its clear that swords attacks are shown on the other's side before the combo that sent them is finished...

i like it ALOT though, as i can't SF at all.

They're all sync'd perfectly, this is just SF mechanics :)

The combo sends when you break the first breaker, however the animation continues after that. On big combos, often the animation continues after the combo hits on the other person's screen. If there is something in the queue, or the combo receiver is behind in pieces then there might be some delay in it sending. Internet lag also has an effect on this, you can notice a small diff when I play Paul who is in Australia for example, but for the most part we're all on pretty good connections
Novo, Sage
Teabagbill wrote: 
I was born and raised in Glasgow. Trust me, some 15 year old kid isn't going to win a fight against me.

Posted by Setsusa at Jan 30, 2008 8:37:37 PM
After further inspection, and noticing the Outro song....I give this movie a 100000/10, Hannah Montanna following rap/rock, classic pwnage.
Cremate on Emerald.
Motou on Meridian.

Posted by basso at Jan 30, 2008 8:54:58 PM
This is awesome to see, thanks for putting this together.
Montage of Sage
Mads wrote: 
OK, now I'm convinced. The problem here is that you cannot understand plain English.

Posted by ACJD at Jan 30, 2008 9:07:53 PM
Novo is entirely right that attacks hitting opponents before they're even finished breaking does exist, and in this video you can see how common it actually is. I do think this almost instant attack hitting is a cause for increased speed mod accusations, and hopefully now people will think twice about all the possibilities before calling anyone out. Though I really, really don't want to bring up speed hacking here, let's keep the focus on the amazing video Novo and the swordfighters have created.

I think this video really showcases most of the major swordfighting talent around in the game today (With the exception of Viridian's top players and maybe some other talented fighters from other oceans). Excellent production job, your very ending creeps me out, pretty sweet music, just a great video. Oh, and the swordfighting was decent too ;P

Posted by ceci1980 at Jan 30, 2008 9:33:54 PM
Nice Video... although it made me think I never deserved my legendary SF lol
Cecidrake
Senior Officer of The Lost Lot
Sage Ocean

Posted by bronzebeard at Jan 31, 2008 1:38:55 AM
That first fight against me was annoyin' in a couple of ways - first, not gettin' the green for the double 3xlots, and secondly fillin' top to bottom with yellow. But that's the way it goes.

All in all though, it turned out really good! Great to see how other people play the puzzle at the top end. I'm awaitin' the naive comments from people wonderin' where all the instas were. I think the music needed more classic rock though, perhaps a few power ballads.

Internet lag also has an effect on this, you can notice a small diff when I play Paul who is in AustraliaEngland for example

Ahem. >:(

Also... "Vol 1" - does this mean there's gonna be more of these?
Peglegpaul
Now on Obsidian!

Posted by Malted at Jan 31, 2008 1:58:44 AM

Ahem. >:(

Also... "Vol 1" - does this mean there's gonna be more of these?

I knew it was som... sorry for being an ignorant Amer... Canadian :p Ugh!

I just though vol. 1 sounded cool to be honest. Although I'd love to see more, but maybe not for a while, unless someone else wants to do it. Tutorial to put together videos is here if anyone's curious. It's pretty easy to do once you get the hang of it.
Novo, Sage
Teabagbill wrote: 

Posted by flupa at Jan 31, 2008 3:34:46 AM
Really nice job putting this together guys, massive kudos.
Wazzy

Posted by mrjumbo at Jan 31, 2008 4:39:01 AM
Amazing, nice job you guys. Its very interesting to see how different your playstyles are and how long it sometimes takes for late game strikes to hit :o. Great choice of music too <3
Jigoku, Leader of the Rats.

Posted by BobJanova at Jan 31, 2008 5:43:08 AM
Very nice resource. Thanks to you and all the SFers who agreed to contribute. Hopefully I can learn how to play :P. Placing breakers is my main problem and I'm sure these guys do it right ;).
Bobjanova on Viridian and Malachite
Shops and stalls with fair and profitable wages for all: Jubilee, Napi, Chelydra
Stripped/Barely Dressed (Malachite)
Phantasm/Reign of Chaos (Viridian)

Posted by Kotetsu534 at Jan 31, 2008 6:51:51 AM
Excellent video. It's cool to see the very best fight. Looking forward to vol. 2! :p
Nomura, SO of Innocent, Member of Crimson Tide, Midnight.

Posted by ACJD at Jan 31, 2008 7:33:03 AM
Paul, everytime I watch any of your swordfighting videos I always find me asking myself.... what the hell is he trying to build? Then all of a sudden a few turns later you just break some random breaker and the whole screen starts to crazy collapse. Can you please explain your style to me, or at least just your opener building method because it never makes any sense to me and then you'll get like a double vegas out of it and I have no idea how much of that was planned ;P

Posted by bronzebeard at Jan 31, 2008 8:06:03 AM

Paul, everytime I watch any of your swordfighting videos I always find me asking myself.... what the hell is he trying to build?

I find myself asking that too.

Then all of a sudden a few turns later you just break some random breaker and the whole screen starts to crazy collapse. Can you please explain your style to me, or at least just your opener building method because it never makes any sense to me and then you'll get like a double vegas out of it and I have no idea how much of that was planned ;P

Well I'll assume you're more on about the second fight where it wasn't clear what I was doing. I started building one combo to go up the left, but I didn't like it, so I changed it into one which I could break elsewhere. Wasn't expecting the green to fuse into a 2x3 and make a 2x21 (was expecting a 2x2 with sprinkles combo'd - still woulda been all the way up the screen though :D), but there we go. It makes more sense to me when I'm fighting drunk, because it's more instinctive than thinking about what I'm doing.

Seriously though, watching the other people fight, I wonder what they're doing too. Everyone else builds weird.
Peglegpaul
Now on Obsidian!

Posted by ACJD at Jan 31, 2008 8:19:48 AM
Everyone else builds with some very close variation of breaker stacking =P Surely you've spent some amount of time with Cioj and have seen it, he made it.

Posted by bronzebeard at Jan 31, 2008 8:43:41 AM
Breaker stacking is quick, but it's a bit unflexible. I don't use that too much now.
Peglegpaul
Now on Obsidian!

Posted by ACJD at Jan 31, 2008 8:46:55 AM
Why should be swordfighting be flexible, you have the same goal everytime. Kill your opponent before they kill you.

Posted by spinbad at Jan 31, 2008 8:53:38 AM

It makes more sense to me when I'm fighting drunk, because it's more instinctive than thinking about what I'm doing.

Thank you. I have been looking for this nice succinct explanation for all of my puzzle strategies. So well put. Do you mind if I borrow it?
A Nefarious Miscreant
It's not an Avatar, it's an AvaTart
Truvie wrote: 
Just remember...Ignorance can be cured with education. Stupid is forever!

Posted by bronzebeard at Jan 31, 2008 8:54:27 AM

Why should be swordfighting be flexible, you have the same goal everytime. Kill your opponent before they kill you.
Because I'm slow compared to a lot o' other top fighters, so I often don't get my attack off first - that should be clear from a lot of my videos. Therefore, I need a style that gives me more options.
Peglegpaul
Now on Obsidian!

Posted by bronzebeard at Jan 31, 2008 8:55:53 AM

It makes more sense to me when I'm fighting drunk, because it's more instinctive than thinking about what I'm doing.

Thank you. I have been looking for this nice succinct explanation for all of my puzzle strategies. So well put. Do you mind if I borrow it?

Aye, take it. Funnily enough though, it doesn't work to play drinking while drunk.
Peglegpaul
Now on Obsidian!

Posted by Pianoman1125 at Jan 31, 2008 9:06:33 AM
<derail>

What kind of crappy, non-peddled version of Fur Elise was that in the trailer? Part of me cried.

<rerail>

Fascinating video, definitely learned a few tricks. Thanks!

~The Maestro
Muffynz
A Cartographer

Member of Crimson Tide
YPPedia Admin
Not-so-secretly conducting the oceans since 2003.

Posted by Malted at Jan 31, 2008 9:42:11 AM

Flexibility/breaker stacking

Really, I think no matter how you build as long as your build uses as many of the early breakers as possible (ie. high efficiency) you will never be really behind in the fight. I like breaker stacking because I can do it in column 4 most of the time and it's a very safe place to build. That way, as long as you keep your pieces underneath organized, it's very easy to recover from an early strike and gain an advantage midgame. This allows me to get away with building huge most games, you can see why in game 1 against Bigdoofus (where I was really far away from actually hitting a combo, but it didn't matter) or game 2 against Woodenleg (where my next piece would've been a 14 second donkey =().

edit: I forgot, you're also never stuck looking for a breaker instead of a block as a trigger. This is a big one.
Novo, Sage
Teabagbill wrote: 

Posted by ACJD at Jan 31, 2008 9:59:12 AM
Yeah, I was being a little sarcastic about my who needs to be flexible comment. Really though, I think intelligent breaker stacking can be extremely flexible. I think it is both the most offensively efficient and defensively safe fighting style there is in the puzzle. Obviously it's the fastest style that I've ever seen, and as Novo has already pointed out it has major defensive advantages.

I had to laugh when I was talking to a friend a long time ago. They had told me how Cioj always got his double screen high swords off on them so fast so they had devised a plan called the 'anti-Cioj'. It consisted simply of throwing a bunch of breakers on top of each other in column 4 where swords are least likely to hit and when the double 2xN's turned into blocks, hopefully those blocks would line up with breakers and start to clear itself out. I laughed and told them ironically that's the exact same thing Cioj is doing on the other side, he just knows what to do with those breakers.

Breaker stacking allows for players to make huge, quick attacks and be a little greedier than some other styles because if someone does manage to send an enormous attack at you before you hit, you very conveniently already have a ton of breakers thrown in your death column.

Posted by uralooser1 at Jan 31, 2008 10:21:28 AM
it is intresting seeing how alot of the "big naned" sfers play compaired to me i not that known but im currantly ranked 8th on cobalt you look like your sfing so much faster then how i sf
Darkvirus of cobalt, midnight & viridian
Modder of Viridian

Yankeejr tells ye, "I retired wagering."
Ye told Yankeejr, "gimme your poez den"
Yankeejr tells ye, "haha noway, that's why i retired XD"

Posted by Talisker at Jan 31, 2008 10:45:27 AM
I'm looking forward to getting home and watching this.
Leif
The Forums
Gunnermooch wrote: 
I can't respond because I do not understand what the hell you are talking about. Sorry.

Av by Ecastasy

Posted by Setsusa at Jan 31, 2008 11:39:11 AM
I like Paul's buiding style, a lot. Its similar to Side's but more efficient, if you can follow what you're doing, I figure it takes a few fights, days, perhaps weeks to get it downpat without screwing something up? None the less, most styles of breaker stack -> 2xN -> 2xN are usually quick and efficient, but leave you running out of space to stack breakers, a problem if building in column 4.

Paul's "disorganized" style as he said, gives a lot of flexibility and takes up much less room, while still getting off a full screen attack. It could turn against you if someone broke off before you, considering he was building in column 1-3 area, but thats just me being picky. Seeing how a seemingly garbage sprinkle turns into full screen 2xNs, and a full screen sprinkle just blew my mind, it was 1 am, I was brain dead, it confused me.

For future Novo, if you do make another, you should try getting some fights against opponents that are GM - Legendary to notice the difference in building style, speed, where people cut off their combos, showing more realistic fights. In this video, both sides are often able to get off a really good combo, in normal tournament or brawl fights, you play opponents who cut off their combos at a triple. This would potentially ruin a top player's vegas^x combo, forcing them to play defensively, which in my opinion, is what normally happens in SF.
Cremate on Emerald.
Motou on Meridian.

Posts: 116   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates