mvnForum Homepage

Print at Sep 22, 2019 12:16:13 PM
Posts: 119   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
View all posts in this thread on one page
Posted by Caribastos4 at Feb 23, 2012 11:42:49 AM
Botting
I know that I'm speaking for more than just myself when I say that it seems botting is on the rise lately, both in quantity and quality. There are bots for more puzzles now than ever before, more people seem to be using them, and the quality of the bots themselves seems to be improving. The fact that I and many others have noticed this just from changes in how our own puzzling is scored indicates to me that it's a widespread and significant trend. In particular, bilge bots have become more common, more effective, or both, to the point where token bilging has become quite difficult even for (formerly, I suppose) strong token bilgers. While it's tempting to write this off as a result of the merge, the fact that these effects have occurred only in puzzles in which botting is common, and most noticeably in bilge, suggests otherwise.

So I guess I'm wondering about a few things. Have you noticed a similar trend? What can we, as players, do about this? What can the OM's and dev's do about it, and what do they do? Does anyone have super awesome ideas for how to catch/investigate potential botters?
----------------------------------------
Jdilla on Emerald and Meridian.

Stroma says, "i hate you"

Posted by Stephensam at Feb 23, 2012 7:31:13 PM
Re: Botting
Something I think would be funny is if bot-makers would make a bot that doesn't do anything other than inform OOO that they're botting.

In all seriousness, the best a player can do to stop the problem is report any suspected botters. The Ocean Masters likely won't be the ones doing anything about the botting, but the Developers can ban anyone they catch.
Stevensam -Cobalt Native, founder and host of The PoE is Right. Creator of Lime Day.

Posted by Roleni at Feb 24, 2012 7:53:48 PM
Odd. I'd been playing no more than weekly (and as little as monthly) for about the year and a half prior to the mergers...and ever since, puzzles seem *easier* to score well on.

As far as dealing with (supposed) botters...reference Cephalopod's "DON'T CHEAT" posts and bannings, and write support requesting that the issue be investigated and dealt with again?
Thalatta & others

Hera tells ye, "You got me so flustered by the spanking, I booched my chat response!"
Hera tells ye, "Purple is the most awesome colour ever!"

Posted by Reeves90 at Feb 26, 2012 8:42:54 AM

As far as dealing with (supposed) botters...reference Cephalopod's "DON'T CHEAT" posts and bannings, and write support requesting that the issue be investigated and dealt with again?

When a bilger and two carpers sit on your ship for 2+ hours after you port, and then you hit sail and they magically get a respectable DR score, it is safe to say they are no longer (supposed) ;-)
~ Reeves/Rreeves ~

Posted by Roleni at Feb 27, 2012 9:31:45 PM
Did you report them?
Thalatta & others

Hera tells ye, "You got me so flustered by the spanking, I booched my chat response!"
Hera tells ye, "Purple is the most awesome colour ever!"

Posted by Chiptharip at Feb 29, 2012 7:19:20 AM
Reporting does very little. Unless OOO's detectors pick it up, OMs won't do anything regardless of any attached evidence.

Posted by randomact at Feb 29, 2012 8:50:54 AM
The only way I've seen an OM do anything is if you get them onto the ship and get them to see for themselves that the player wakes up as soon as you press sail, and that they fall back asleep 3 minutes after porting, then wake up when sail is pressed again.
Loathe/Forever.

Cremate tells ye, "i think i just broke my hymen"

Posted by Hillsmen at Feb 29, 2012 9:04:30 AM
Pretty sure they scan the IP address or something like that to attempt to detect the use of bots.
Captainrich

Posted by Trogo1 at Feb 29, 2012 10:21:27 AM
I've seen two alts apparently rigging on the same cit-run, and pulled exc's every DR. Once we hit the Cit, they straightlined. Planked by naver, they had the same idle-(minutes) on them. I /complained, each one individually, of potential botting. But I wish there was a much more straight-forward way of reporting them, instead of having to type out a 'reason for complaint' while it doesn't give me enough letter-space to type out the entire scenario.

Btw, both alts are on Illustrious/Legendary rigs, and Novice/Able for other Duty stations. Logged off the same time.

Whenever I see a rigger come onto a ship, I cringe in hope that it's not a botter. (seems that rigs is becoming more prevalent compared to bilge)
Trogo on Viridian.

Posted by v76odessa at Feb 29, 2012 4:39:26 PM
If there where a more stright foward way to complain suspected botters,modders...ect. I suspect there would be a flood of these to the Om's and they would have to spend the day checking these instead of performing other dutys. Obvouisly they are still swamped by the merge as we still dont have new automated tournys since the merge and not even a hint of new familar compatition coming.

As much as I hate cheaters/botters/modders. The current system will have to do. Since we really dont as players have a concrete way to detect cheaters(other than them staying on station as mentioned in above posts) I do not think 000 will devote that much time to give us a system to report cheaters.

That all being said, I would like them all gone. If I knew a good member of my crew/flag or heartie was botting. I would report them instantly and lose all respect for them deheatie them and boot them outa the flag if they where not banned for some reason. Right now if it has gotten worse, I hope that OOO has a new sweep planned like the one we had a few years ago. Or some other course of action.

I still have never seen someone stay on station after a ship ports like mentioned above and then wake up when sail is hit and keep performing well. Maybe the problem is worse on green oceans? I know it is happening on our new blue ocean. Just not enough for me to notice.
Vova

Home at Dies Irae.

Harrjm tells you " I always wished I could grow up to be you"

Posted by _Amnesty_ at Mar 3, 2012 9:30:17 PM
Mass execution of botters pls.
/has an alt called Banhammer, I could help!
Amnesty,
Emerald.

Tilinkitar!

Posted by Jongy5 at Mar 5, 2012 4:01:01 PM

Whenever I see a rigger come onto a ship, I cringe in hope that it's not a botter. (seems that rigs is becoming more prevalent compared to bilge)

Musicologist : Self-proclaimed Master Minstrel mostly of Meridian

Message from Team Evil: Fine, we'll pass the petition along to Hera for you even though you're pro-Team Purple, but we refuse to be happy about it! #TeamEvilisAWESOME

Posted by Yngve6 at Mar 8, 2012 11:12:41 AM

Yeah I think you are right. Used to be legend rigs on both mala and virid. But lately it even seems hard to keep up a gm status ><
And I'm pretty sure my rigging didn't get worse. Can't be the merge either since I was legend on both oceans.
Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald

Posted by darkseid at Mar 8, 2012 6:15:22 PM

Maybe the problem is worse on green oceans? I know it is happening on our new blue ocean. Just not enough for me to notice.

Probably the blue ocean isn't feeling it as much because there's less of a demand for poe and so it's not as useful to farm it there, green oceans I'm guessing there's a lot higher demand and with the ability to trade poe between oceans using the dubloon system it'll be a bit easier.

A way to stop bots, while banning the people involved will be finding a way to crack down on people buying poe with real money, there'll still be people who actually play the game botting to look awesome (lol!). this is difficult to do, especially with the budget they have to work with, let's just assume the're doing all they can with what they have and the best thing we can do is help them by reporting them, they may not do anything at the time if they can'tsee anything, but they may just keep all the names in a big list.
Darkseid, Cerulean.
Senior Officer of Under the Black Flag.

Posted by Jongy5 at Mar 10, 2012 10:20:27 AM

Yeah I think you are right. Used to be legend rigs on both mala and virid. But lately it even seems hard to keep up a gm status ><
And I'm pretty sure my rigging didn't get worse. Can't be the merge either since I was legend on both oceans.

I've managed to retain my ult status, but I have been noticing an influx of suspicious riggers >.>

Message from Team Evil: Fine, we'll pass the petition along to Hera for you even though you're pro-Team Purple, but we refuse to be happy about it! #TeamEvilisAWESOME

Posted by MrsMimichu at Mar 10, 2012 10:29:10 AM
Hopefully the PP botting developers will do what the Runescape botting developers did back before they(RS) banned all the bots there, they(the RS botting devs) took all the accounts that used their programs and stole all of their(the people using the bots) items. A good handful of people were "hacked" and they all had a certain "thing" in common that was against the TOS.

I'm sorry if this post doesn't make sense, I just woke up and have a cold. :[

Edit: Maybe OOO should file lawsuits against the bot makers like RS did.
I play with my husband on MidnightCerulean, but I also play on the doubloon servers every once in a while.

Posted by wrs1864b at Mar 10, 2012 1:05:54 PM

I've managed to retain my ult status, but {...}

If you are better than the bots, you will notice zero difference in difficulty. If you are worse than the bots, you will find that the botters move ahead of you, and you move down in standing.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.

Posted by Dryest at Mar 10, 2012 1:25:14 PM
While botting may be very rampant, it seems like your perception is being a bit skewed due to the number of butt hurt players running around. There isnt a single SMH or CI I go on that does not have at least one person hurling accusations as an excuse for their lack of skill. If you suspect the person, report them and let that be the end of it. Incessantly talking about your suspicions nn vessel chat and requesting that the navver plank them is not going to help in getting them banned, its just going to tell everyone you arent the kind of person they want to be around.
Awsumsawce on emerald

Posted by Jongy5 at Mar 11, 2012 7:08:39 AM

If you are better than the bots, you will notice zero difference in difficulty. If you are worse than the bots, you will find that the botters move ahead of you, and you move down in standing.

Still a problem to be concerned about, no?

Posted by Yngve6 at Mar 11, 2012 7:35:44 AM

Still a problem to be concerned about, no?

Yeah it is. Because stats don't really matter all that much to me. But people not jobbing me for CI anymore because of my stats having dropped sucks and takes away one of the most fun aspects of the game for me. ><
Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald

Posted by Trogo1 at Mar 11, 2012 9:29:14 AM
I feel that some bots would really severely affect gameplay for some pirates if the bots themselves are better than the pirates. Take for example, a person who can pull Renowned+ in distilling, if there was suddenly a bot which can easily pull GM+ or Leg+ in this puzzle, his stat would most likely drop and thus he would no longer be able to pull in expert labor and income that he used to. Hopefully OOO would have a crackdown against botters in the near future.
Trogo on Viridian.

Posted by Jongy5 at Mar 11, 2012 10:09:03 AM

Yeah it is. Because stats don't really matter all that much to me. But people not jobbing me for CI anymore because of my stats having dropped sucks and takes away one of the most fun aspects of the game for me. ><

^Exactly D:!

Posted by Karnisov at Mar 11, 2012 8:09:18 PM

It also makes trophies less attainable for legit players because the entire scoring curve shifts. There is a gunbot that can get #1 now. Which means everyone below that level is getting defecated on. How long till rigbot is up there?

Penalizing legit players hurts retention and therefore potentially hurts revenues.

Take action pls OOO. seriously.
Karnisov
flinging poo on the forums because its more fun than playing your broken game

Posted by Chiptharip at Mar 11, 2012 10:00:00 PM

How long till rigbot is up there?

Word on the street is it already exists...in its third iteration. So that would mean that rigging, carping, blacksmithing, bilging and gunning bots are out there boning legit players. I'd be shocked if more than 75% of Ult lists were done by legit players.

Posted by aidthepoe at Mar 13, 2012 4:50:15 AM

Word on the street is it already exists...in its third iteration. So that would mean that rigging, carping, blacksmithing, bilging and gunning bots are out there boning legit players. I'd be shocked if more than 75% of Ult lists were done by legit players.

You forgot Shipwright and a TD bot is nearly finished being developed. It already beats most gm/leg players.

Posted by Trogo1 at Mar 14, 2012 6:48:56 AM

You forgot Shipwright and a TD bot is nearly finished being developed. It already beats most gm/leg players.

Oh god -.-
Trogo on Viridian.

Posted by Jongy5 at Mar 14, 2012 1:07:06 PM

My favorite part is when they all woke-up together after I mentioned the word rig-bot XD

Same old same old

Stats, puzzle performance, sleep schedules, etc.

Posted by Novatech at Mar 14, 2012 1:21:17 PM
speaking on behalf of a botter myself. I can safely say that i run around 12-18 clients at a time on peoples ships. I make about a Mill a week. I then sell this poe online :D Them people are not me though. I normally carp bilge sail and rig XD

Posted by Jongy5 at Mar 14, 2012 1:25:06 PM
Not one of them? I did announce this post on board the vessel so you found this link surprisingly fast for someone whose made one post in all forum usage, and is NOT one of those botters....

Posted by Belthazar451 at Mar 14, 2012 1:40:15 PM
Jongy5 wrote: 
Not one of them?

No, I think he's just missing some punctuation in the first sentence. As in, "speaking on behalf of a botter: myself."

In any case, bot-makers need to stop making bots. Once we have a bot for each puzzle, what's to prevent them from rising up and overthrowing their human masters?

None of the bots are called Skynet, are they?

Posts: 119   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates