mvnForum Homepage

Print at Nov 20, 2018 11:37:00 AM
Posts: 107   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
View all posts in this thread on one page
Posted by Apollo at Jan 26, 2010 2:01:59 PM
Create Seasonal Spring Trinkets for the game! (WINNERS ANNOUNCED)
The aim of this event is to introduce player-created seasonal trinkets that will be available for sale at the Palace Shoppe for a limited period. We aim to run this event approximately once every 3 months. .

Trinket Size
The final trinket size must be 36 pixels wide by 39 pixels high.
Do not provide any image of your design larger than this.
You will need to host your image on an external site so that you can post the image.

Background
The background should be transparent (or plain white if you do not know how to produce a transparent background).
The trinkets use indexed colors and therefore can't have any transparency when they go in the game. The arrrtists can touch things up if they have to, but providing an image ready to go into the game will increase your odds of getting selected.

Content
The trinket may represent anything seasonal related to Spring, or to any popular holiday or event that takes place during the period from mid-March to mid-June . So, you could choose a generic Spring theme - all things vernal, rainstorms, blooming flowers, etc. Spring happenings like Spring Break? Or you could go for a particular holiday or date - this period would cover St Patrick's Day, Beltane, Passover and Easter, for example. If you do choose a National or religious event to commemorate, try to avoid overt national or religious symbology (picking a random example, if you're representing Wales, a daffodil is more likely to be used than a Welsh flag). Whatever the theme you choose, the content of must be appropriate to the game.

You can view the beautiful seasonal trinkets that won the previous winter contests here.

Originality
Designs should be your own, and created specifically for this event. One exception to this rule is that you may base your entry on YOUR OWN entry from last year's contest!

Colors
You can design your trinket to come in a single color variation, or in a range of colors, as many of the trinkets do. If you wish to have the trinket available in multiple colors, please provide two versions of it, in different colors, so it is clear which elements of the trinket change with the color choice.
If you're using the cloth-color selection, it's helpful to have one of your variants have RED as the changeable color area. If this isn't possible because of the colors elsewhere in your design, try GREEN or GOLD.
If you're using the bone-color selection, it's helpful to have one of your variants have RED as the changeable color area.

Style
You will want to design the trinket so that the artwork is compatible in style to the trinkets already in the game. Take a look at the YPPedia trinket page for an overview of the trinkets already available.
It should be obvious, but no animation!

Availability
The intention for these trinkets is that the winning entries will be available for purchase in the Palace Shoppe. They will be inscribable. It is just possible that the arrrtists will choose to use the trinket in a different way - for example, being used as an event prize. The final decision will be made by the arrrtists.

Prizes
A couple of your own trinkets when they become available and a pirate flag (furniture item)! In addition, if you haven't already been awarded it, you will get the Dread Masterpiece trophy when your trinket becomes available in the game.

Judging
There will be a single stage of judging, undertaken primarily by the arrrtists. They will identify the short list of trinkets that they would like to develop for inclusion in the game. They may wish to edit or adapt the trinket design to 'tweak' the design or to make it fit better with other in-game art. They may ask the player artist to make changes, or they may make changes themselves. The final decision on which trinkets are introduced to the game, and on the final design used, rests with these Ringers. Note that trinkets will only be introduced to the game if there are designs considered suitable. Trinkets chosen in this contest may be made available in-game on different dates and for different durations.

Number of entries
Each player may make just ONE entry post, and this post may include up to TWO designs.

How to enter, and deadline
Post your entry in the Entry Thread. Please include the following information at the top of your post:
* Pirate name:
* Ocean:
* Trinket name: (this is your name, but final name for the trinket will be an arrrtist decision)
* Theme / date: (explain what your trinket represents - the season generally, a particular holiday or event (give dates) etc)

If you have two trinket designs in your entry, remember to put in the entry information for both trinkets!

Include your design as an image in the post (see link in next post) - not as a link.
If you intend the trinket to be available in multiple colors, include two versions of the trinket in different colors so that it is clear which pieces of the design change with each color choice.
The deadline is 11:59:59pm game time on Sunday 21st February 2010.

Additional information

Links:
Entry thread (again!)
Trinket page (again)
Previous winning trinkets (again)
Standard color options
How to post an image on the forum
Reminder on how to reply to a post
Tips and tricks for entering events

(The next event will be the Summer theme posted at the beginning of May, and covering trinkets relevant for mid-June to mid-September).

Good luck, and have fun!

Posted by Guppyzr at Feb 1, 2010 8:22:39 AM
Re: Create Seasonal Spring Trinkets for the game! (Deadline February 21st 2010)
Now I could never have called this! I'd like to be the first to *cheer*.

It's kind of sad to know that we've lost an annual event but at least the fun can now be spread throughout the year!
----------------------------------------
Guppyzra of the Imaginary Ocean.
Founder and Coordinator of Fight Circle

In the Name Of... ~carpe noctem

Posted by Granilithe at Feb 1, 2010 11:44:35 AM
ooo I have a great idea...sadly my artistic skill is severely lacking *sighs*
Granilithe of Emerald
SO of Rabbid Zombie Bunnehs
Princess of Trophy Tarts

Posted by outofthebox9 at Feb 1, 2010 1:19:39 PM
I take this as a good sign for a possible Halloween Trinket Design contest in the future. But I love spring too, so yaaaay! I wish we were allowed to design more than 2 though. =P

::puts on her thinking cap:: Spring, Spring.. hmmm....
Evilmermaid
Cobalt Cerulean

Posted by Gyps13 at Feb 1, 2010 2:23:03 PM
I'm wondering, can we post in this thread with our ideas for concrit? I'm an awful pixel artist, especially on this small of a scale, yet I'd still like to participate. So any help would be appreciated.

Can we do that here?
~ Jaede ~ Malachite
Dragon Eggs
Pokemon Eggs

*Current Avi by Scheherazade*

Posted by Maskforum at Feb 2, 2010 12:21:01 AM
From the entry thread:

Sallymae, Viridian
Daffodil
for the first day of Spring

I realllllly like that one!
Mask - Hunter Ocean
Island degisner

Posted by Patetch at Feb 2, 2010 8:37:52 AM
I might actually be able to enter this - I am always so busy when the winter trinkets are being created.

Now to think of an idea or two... :)
Pletoo of Sage

Posted by merethif at Feb 2, 2010 1:40:36 PM
Avast! I've just found out that in Canada and the United States Labour Day is on September, not on May like everywhere else... I guess Labour Day trinkets won't work in this case :-(
/me wonders if his birthsday on May 6th is considered "popular holiday or event that takes place during the period from mid-March to mid-June" ;-)
Merethif of Viridian Ocean
Novice/Able at Poker and proud of it!
Vacation avatar by Empanado

Posted by Benzene265 at Feb 2, 2010 10:02:14 PM

Avast! I've just found out that in Canada and the United States Labour Day is on September, not on May like everywhere else... I guess Labour Day trinkets won't work in this case :-(
/me wonders if his birthsday on May 6th is considered "popular holiday or event that takes place during the period from mid-March to mid-June" ;-)

It's also actually Fall in half the world. I say make them anyway.
A Ghyslaine and a Rhodin for every Ocean, but mostly on Viridian.
Make the natural choice for our oceans: Google Rhodin Blonde!

Posted by Apollo at Feb 3, 2010 2:52:01 AM
Note: it's fine to include a link to explain your theme, but please also include the date(s) in your actual post as requested, so that the information is readable from the post as well as in the links. Thanks!

Posted by cgg1305 at Feb 6, 2010 3:20:35 AM
I have a question.

Am I wrong assuming that the popularity of the holiday you pick increases the chances of having your trinket selected? I guess Saint Patrick's Day related trinkets would be preferred to - let's say - Sain't Joseph's Day. But how do you determine which holidays are more popular or, in other words, whether or not a holiday deserves a trinket?
Can we have an official statement by the Ringers about this issue before consuming one entry for a lost cause?
Thanks.
Pishkirlin of Emerald

Posted by ddraigeneth at Feb 6, 2010 6:37:37 AM
You could always go to the docks or an inn, and see how many people there know of the holiday in question.

-Gwiddon, who has never heard of St. Joseph
Gwiddon d'Sage - Making her own avatars since 2005
DeviantART

Is yer sword a foil?

Posted by Benzene265 at Feb 6, 2010 7:12:43 AM

You could always go to the docks or an inn, and see how many people there know of the holiday in question.

He's Jesus's stepdad. I know it's a feast day in many flavors of Christianity, but I didn't realize there were secular traditions as well.

Posted by Apollo at Feb 6, 2010 7:43:36 AM
I can get an "official" response if you like.
My expectation would be that it's the likely uptake of any trinket design that would be considered rather than the real-life recognition of a holiday. Bear in mind that people won't just buy trinkets for a particular occasion - they'll buy them if they like them. I would guess that an appealing trinket, even if it's based around a relatively obscure holiday, would still have a chance.
Edit: if my guess isn't a good enough answer and you want me to try to pin down the arrrtists to a more official response, post again. Bear in mind that they might not have a definitive answer to give you, so the official response might be "it depends"!

Posted by cgg1305 at Feb 6, 2010 8:42:55 AM
Thanks for your answer, Apollo.
I would really like to receive an official response from the Oracle of the Ringers, if it's not too much bother, mostly because I have already made several designs and I am not sure which one I should enter.
Pishkirlin of Emerald

Posted by merethif at Feb 8, 2010 8:42:47 AM

But how do you determine which holidays are more popular or, in other words, whether or not a holiday deserves a trinket?

I suppose the ones that are present in USA are most popular because of the cultural influence that american movies/books/TV series/etc have on the rest of the world. Even if someone do not celebrate Halloween, nor V-day, nor St Patrick Day, nor Thanksgiving, usually has no problem with recognizing those holidays because of all those american TV series, movies and books he has watched/read.

You can always make something "generally seasonal" but even then you will hear the southern hemispherians saying that it's opposite season out there at the moment ;-)

He's Jesus's stepdad. I know it's a feast day in many flavors of Christianity, but I didn't realize there were secular traditions as well.

As a carpenter, St. Joseph is a protector of workers, craftsmen etc. In Poland people who spurn Labour Day because of its former popularity amongs communists, but still would like to acknowledge workers, are visiting churches on St. Joseph Day and pray for well-being of working class. Anyway I don't know secular traditions of St. Joseph Day neither.

Posted by Patetch at Feb 8, 2010 9:02:54 AM

if you haven't already been awarded it, you will get the Dread Masterpiece trophy when your trinket becomes available in the game.
Just checking...I already have this trophy on Sage - would it be possible to claim it on either Midnight or Crimson if I should happen to have a winning entry? (I know that was approved for the GCPP, but I just wanted to be sure.)
Pletoo of Sage

Posted by Apollo at Feb 8, 2010 11:01:50 AM
It will go to wherever you claim your prizes - so if you put yourself down as Midnight, that's where your prizes and trophy will go. I can't give out prizes on Crimson here, though, so it would have to be Midnight!

Posted by Charlienoah at Feb 8, 2010 11:34:41 AM

I can't give out prizes on Crimson here, though, so it would have to be Midnight!

Another reason to have it on Midnight would be that Midnights totally awesome. ;)
Nadinya/Nadinyarr
Call me Nads ;o)
Gods of War
Cerulean

Posted by Philipine7 at Feb 8, 2010 10:31:15 PM
No....Autumn! :P
No one cares about Aussies...
http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Philipine

Philipine
(sage ocean)
Senior Officer and First Mate of : The Sexy Crue
Prince of : The Very Sexy Flag

Posted by ddraigeneth at Feb 8, 2010 11:15:41 PM

Of course, not. Pirate time is the only real time.
Gwiddon d'Sage - Making her own avatars since 2005
DeviantART

Is yer sword a foil?

Posted by Jippeh14 at Feb 10, 2010 12:11:06 AM
Aussies ftw :P
Jippy of Meridian

Posted by Benzene265 at Feb 10, 2010 7:44:00 AM

No....Autumn! :P

Make a leaf trinket and let people choose reds and yellows in addition to green. Instant season-spanning trinket. >.>

Posted by Apollo at Feb 10, 2010 9:38:01 AM

I would really like to receive an official response from the Oracle of the Ringers

So, official response basically follows my advice - the most important thing is that your trinket has a strong design and is visually appealing. In terms of picking a theme or holiday, it can be any seasonal occurrence or holiday that happens within the allotted time frame, particularly one that has a secular celebration or observance associated with it that can be represented with recognizable symbology of a non-religious or not-necessarily-religious nature. (e.g. anything from purely natural/seasonal themes to the secular celebration of Mardi Gras).

Posted by outofthebox9 at Feb 10, 2010 2:46:17 PM
So, because I've been taking my time editing my trinket designs, I noticed other people have had the same idea as me. I don't want to copy them since they posted first, but is it ok to submit the same trinket but with a slightly different design? For example, a four-leaf clover? Same color and shape obviously, but if it's still "designed" by me and is slightly different, will it be acceptable?
Evilmermaid
Cobalt Cerulean

Posted by Apollo at Feb 11, 2010 12:43:13 AM
Aye, as long as it's all your own inspiration and work, that's fine. :)

Posted by cgg1305 at Feb 11, 2010 1:07:58 AM

So, official response basically follows my advice - the most important thing is that your trinket has a strong design and is visually appealing. In terms of picking a theme or holiday, it can be any seasonal occurrence or holiday that happens within the allotted time frame, particularly one that has a secular celebration or observance associated with it that can be represented with recognizable symbology of a non-religious or not-necessarily-religious nature. (e.g. anything from purely natural/seasonal themes to the secular celebration of Mardi Gras).

Thanks a lot, Apollo.
Pishkirlin of Emerald

Posted by Patetch at Feb 15, 2010 1:15:27 PM
Hmmm...I actually managed to get my trinkets done with almost a week to go - how did that happen? I may end up making a few more but that means I would have to decide which to keep and I already am having a tough time deciding which eggs I want to submit.

Thanks for making a spring version - I haven't been able to enter the winter trinket designs.
Pletoo of Sage

Posted by merethif at Feb 15, 2010 2:56:58 PM
I'm glad to see some more Easter trinkets at least! Hurray for Pletoo's awesome Chocolate Bunnies! :-D
Actually popularity of st. Patrick Day in this event doesn't cease to suprise me (not that I have anything against shamrocks).

Posted by Patetch at Feb 15, 2010 3:15:59 PM

I'm glad to see some more Easter trinkets at least! Hurray for Pletoo's awesome Chocolate Bunnies! :-D
Actually popularity of st. Patrick Day in this event doesn't cease to suprise me (not that I have anything against shamrocks).
Thanks! :)
I think more people are thinking of St. Patrick's Day because that is closer than some of the other things.

Question: (That I don't recall seeing before, but I could be wrong)
Are we allowed to make trinkets that have two colors that change? Can they both be from the same palette? (Or should it be one olympic, one enamel, for example?)
Pletoo of Sage

Posts: 107   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates