mvnForum Homepage

Print at Sep 16, 2019 1:51:14 AM

Posted by Urganite at Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM
Re: Shop keeping troubles
I'm not a shop owner, I'm just a simple trader. I'm no expert, but the problem as I see it is that alot of the trade is shop internalized, and what I mean by that is, there don't seem to be many (if any) exporters of any product that isn't raw materials, which concentrates traders around one or two items of trade and usually just one or two trade routes. Myself, I hang around diamond 90% of the time just because I don't have the maps to get much of anywhere else, and I try to find as many possible trade routes as I can to minimize time I spend camping a resource, which is unrelentingly boring. Right now, there's really only two major routes that I take, wood from papaya to alpha, and hemp from oyster to turtle. I do some variations on that based on what the demand situation is for hemp and wood but that's basically it because trying to buy iron is like trying to scrape enough butter for your bread off an empty butter dish, and there aren't many other commodities to trade that don't either have an incredibly low supply (iron, dye ingredients, certain minerals) or an incredibly low demand (sincosite comes to mind, only very small quantities can be traded of that), and in fact, I feel that there just aren't enough commodities to trade. Cloth is practically non-tradeable for traders like myself, there's no place to buy it, and even provided you could buy it (like brown cloth), there aren't many places to sell it and the places that do buy it will usually only pay you 1 piece of eight per lot. I'm really just rambling, but I guess what I'm trying to say is that trading needs to have a few more steps inserted in it if possible, because traders are overly concentrated in just a few commodity markets and it's causing a bottleneck for some buyers and sellers, especially those in remote locations or those who demand only small quantities of a certain resource that make tradeing it impractical. Also, I won't be specific, but there is the rum price problem. Currently, I'm just sailing without it, I can't afford otherwise. Right now, the laws of economics dictate that prices should be skyrocketing for finished goods, but that would take alot of the fun out of the game for newbies, since anyone who isn't a trader or a shop owner would invariably just be saving up money for some unattainable piece of clothing, maybe buy one article a month or so and it'd just get boring real fast.

On a wholely seperate note, the game economy itself will eventually suffer from a bottle neck of zero demand at the point where new player levels drop off and as the monetary value of their pirates' possessions increase, since there won't be anything that they will want to buy. I don't know if this is intended to be addressed or not but I thought I'd say something now before it sneaks up on everyone like the y2k bug.

I also want to say that I think that trade contracts are somewhat of a good idea, but I'm guessing that there will be alot of "contract grabbing" if the competition is stiff enough (as I suspect it will be if ships remain cheaper than clothes and swords. ) and maybe there should be some kind of an auction system where traders can bid on a term or quantity contract.

I also think that ships need to be alot more expensive than they are now, and possibly make it so ships can only be commissioned by flag royalty or by sanctioned crew captains and officers in a flag, so that the number of crews with only one person running their own ship by themselves to trade and keep all the profits to themselves won't be too high.

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates