mvnForum Homepage

Print at Jul 16, 2019 5:19:29 PM

Posted by Dylan at Mar 24, 2006 4:54:44 PM
Re: [Midnight] All Duty Puzzle Bake-off - Win an Octopus!

time that's fair on everyone

1. I fully support the right of an organiser to organise when they wish to.
2. If this time round, for this event, happens to be inconvenient for some time zones, I am sure that there will be similar events at very different times, too.
3. Having said that, given the play-off nature of this particular event, it is a shame that my suggestions (long lost in these forums, unless Faulkston can find them) as to timing of such events have been forgotten.

The way to find a time that is fair for everyone is to have qualifiers at a range of times, and then finals (and if needed semis) too.

For example, for a 3 hour event, if the start times are 9 a.m. and 6 p.m. on Saturday for San Francisco, then the earlier time is early evening in Europe, while the latter is morning (on the Sunday) in Australia and Asia.

If qualifiers have just two or four progressing, I am sure they would be available for a less than convenient time for finals if a familiar were at stake.

If each qualifier has just one winner, then finals (and semis) can be head to head at convenience (depending what the contest is).

Dylan

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates