mvnForum Homepage

Print at May 31, 2020 9:20:37 AM

Posted by Nemo at Jun 17, 2003 2:06:34 AM
Re: AHHHHHHHH!
BanditGirl wrote: 
Don't you pirates read the puzzle instructions? =P

No. Never. Sometimes I wonder why we write them. Silly pirates.

LonesomeCrow wrote: 
If the first three pieces I get will nicely fill 3/4 of a hole, I'll put them all in the same hole. As Meghaford said, I then get the maximum allowable turns to get that last piece.

No, you don't. Not if you are following her method when she says, "My strategy be to work on one hole at a time."

If you have three pieces that look like they'll fill 3/4 of a hole nicely, you should let them out slowly. Put one in the hole and then ignore it. Mentally set aside those other two pieces and only play with the new piece (that replaced the one you played). Only use the new pieces (keeping those Masterpiece two set aside) until your Masterpiece hole starts shaking its piece. Then put one of your two remaining pieces in. Wait again and play with the hand of two pieces now (keeping that third piece set aside).
Doing this really allows the maximum time to make a Masterpiece.

Playing the waiting game doesn't just mean you have a better chance of getting your pieces, it also means you don't need a "junk" hole.
If nothing in your playable hand (your toolbox minus the "set aside" pieces) will fit nicely, you play one of your Masterpiece pieces and get a new choice while improving your score.
I also like waiting on my last piece. I think statistically it gives me no real advantage, but psychologically it keeps me in the waiting game.

Meghaford wrote: 
After a while you will notice the holes get bigger, at some point just exit the puzzle and return, as they get annoying when larger.

That's odd. I find them much easier when larger. I can plan my moves with more freedom, and bad choices or forced throwaways aren't so unforgiving. Besides, they're worth more.

LonesomeCrow wrote: 
I don't know about the rest of ye, but I'd like to see that annoying 'x' or '+' piece go away.

Then we would get complaints about "sometimes I need a '+' piece and there aren't any! I should be able to finish my hole."
I agree that it is one of the most difficult pieces to use. I usually try to use it first in a hole (especially the large ones) so that I can play easier pieces around it to clean up. Otherwise, it is my go-to piece for finishing up sub-Masterpiece holes.

-Nemo rereads all of the instructions before he posts.
----------------------------------------

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates