mvnForum Homepage

Print at Jun 17, 2019 2:25:10 AM

Posted by wrs1864b at Sep 19, 2018 5:49:45 PM
Re: Community Shopkeeping Spreadsheets Preview and Feature Requests
Several comments:

First, a very minor one, your "estimated cost" for commodities, and the "with tax" column are the same. It looks like you might have added the tax into the estimated value

Second, I'm not sure how you are calculating the "estimated cost" for commodities, it kind of looks like you are taking the average of all buy prices for a specific island.

Trying to figure out a good "estimated cost", in my experience, can be a tricky problem. This is a problem I worked hard to get a good answer to, and I have a program that gives me good results that I have used for easily over 5 years. More on that later.

Averaging all the commodity buy prices fails a lot of the time . For example, there are a lot of people who are buying large quantiles of gold nuggets for 1PoE each, and including those will give bogus results.

Using just one island can also cause a lot of problems. The <merchant bots> will tend to sell to islands that give the best price. So, if one island prices iron at 9PoE, while the next island over is buying iron at 10PoE, <merchant bots> will usually skip the cheaper island. There can be a lot of reasons for shopkeepers to under price their commodities. First, the other island may have just recently raised their prices and the shopkeepers on the lower price island may not have notices yet. Also, the shopkeepers on the lower prices island may not be selling much, so an occasional <merchant bot> delivery is all they need, but if you run your store well, you may sell a lot. Blindly following the other island merchants can get you into a lot of trouble.

Third, merry christmans. In particular, look at the "market price" database.

Fourth, I'm used to playing on subscription oceans and the labor costs are about half what you show. Is labor really that expensive on Obsidian? I guess you have to factor in the dub cost for most labor badges, but the last time I played on a dub ocean (viridian), labor was cheaper than sub oceans.
----------------------------------------
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates