mvnForum Homepage

Print at Apr 21, 2019 8:16:32 PM

Posted by Murcatto at Jun 26, 2018 3:11:33 PM
Re: Obsidian Swordfighting League
Generally people say I?m always too optimistic, but I don?t think I could have realised just how much so. The OSL has become like opening a pandora's box of evil, apathy and anger.

While this has the appearance of an OM Black Ops sting, it sadly was not. A lot of players who committed to the League simply did not make themselves available or participate at all - we lost two players to bans (I?d have loved to see Jon clashing with many of the participants, but such is life), while another simply deleted his pirate, others quit because of RL issues, and a few seem to have just left Obsidian altogether. And at the same time, I?ve never seen so many of my hearties just suddenly go inactive.

I can only apologise to the participants who were keen and took to it with vigour; it was perhaps too ambitious to think that some of the egos would be able to take publishing their losses.

As it stands, here are the final seeded positions for the pirates still standing at the end of the first Round of Bo5 sets (after the disqualifications and forfeits were factored in):

1st Seed: Cremate

The invincible with a 100% set victory, can anyone put this man in the mud? A most burning question, why does he no longer black out his blocks?!

2nd Seed: Darksea

One of my own, he tied with Shikamaru for points but on based on the results of their one-on-one match, his set win moved him into the 2nd spot.

3rd Seed: Shikamaru

TMS yet again! Oh Shika, why couldn?t you and Dark have beaten Cremate?!? Almost a full lock out.

4th Seed: Pinkhas

Late to the party Pink, but thank you for slotting in and having the energy for matches when so many others lacked the desire or interest.

5th Seed: Boinking

Had a successful start mate, but towards the end you began to wither. Always the tournament format to redeem yourself? ;)

6th Seed: Corteez

If we currently have a more odd participant, I?ve yet to encounter him/her. But this particular THC-smoking, gas-mask-wearing, foot-obsessive (you heard me right) went and wielded his scimitar with aplomb.

7th Seed: Solitude

The advantage of running your own event I suppose, score manipulation to see you qualify. Muwahahaha ;)

8th Seed: Pasteyman

Catholicism?s Hottest Man Of The Year, 3 years running. TwitchTV hasn?t seen a man wear a cross with such style & daring, then when that bloke from Bethlehem took a long walk? to somewhere.

9th Seed: Kouvla

I?m still waiting on all these participants you said you?d get me! In the meantime, well done!

10th Seed: Xelliana

In typical feminine fashion, the lady arrived late to the ball? and then began stupefying each opponent one by one. I?ve little doubt that Xel would have been seeded much higher had she not been distracted by the bulging gift Symbiotic had offered her.

Thank you to all those others who participated, and if you didn?t make the cut this time I sincerely hope that you all at least had a great time clashing swords across the ocean and come back again next season!

/Tell Solitude to collect your prizes.

PLAYOFFS

The top ten seeds from this past round (noted above) have now found themselves qualified for the final Playoffs. CONGRATS, MATES! In this round, you will continue to play a Best of 5 set against your opponents as you move through the bracket (see the OSL Season 1 YPPedia page for the bracket match-up), but unlike the last round, this one is now a win-or-lose set-up - i.e., win against your opponent and you move forward through the ladder. Lose, and it’s the chopping block for you and your Playoff story. (Obviously, this excludes the 3rd place playoff scenario, of course, where the lowest placed competitors of the last 4 pirates standing will play each other in an additional match to determine who takes the 3rd place spot).

BUT JUST AS WITH THE PREVIOUS ROUND, YOU ARE STILL REQUIRED TO RECORD AND UPLOAD YOUR VIDEOS TO THE DRIVE.

IT IS ALSO IMPERATIVE IN THE PLAYOFFS THAT YOU UPLOAD YOUR MATCH VIDEO TO THE DRIVE AS SOON AS IT IS FINISHED (or as quick as is humanly/technologically possible for you to do so), AS THE NEXT PIRATE IN THE TOURNAMENT CANNOT MOVE FORWARD UNTIL YOUR VIDEO HAS BEEN VERIFIED.

I?ve found the event enjoyable and really interesting to watch how some players do things, even had some speak to me during the competition saying it?s helped them to improve their game.

I made mistakes running it which I?d like to hope I will learn from. Next time I will organise a discord channel for everyone to communicate within as a group, and will make sure people know how to record their matches before starting as that certainly caused a great deal of delays.

Will have a finalised post with the link to the Youtube videos, the prizes all given out and who ultimately won in the near future. And hopefully those remaining competitors manage to survive with their accounts intact this time!

Good luck and fair seas to ye all!
----------------------------------------
Solitude
Captain of Tick Tock
Stand & Deliver

Even winning means nothing. We win because it’s an insult to lose.