mvnForum Homepage

Print at Sep 18, 2019 9:42:00 PM

Posted by mantillon at Oct 21, 2017 3:46:19 PM
Re: Server future, Opt-out PvP, Neutral Crews (BIG WALL OF TEXT)
I don't understand why you are making such a fuzz out of this. There is ALREADY a way to opt out of PvP and that is disengaging. If you are running a proper pillage with the right amount of manpower. As a Bnaver it is really not difficult to evade the enemy ship for 10 turns, that is if you are properly manned and actually KNOW how to run a pillage.

The situation obviously changes when you are running an undermanned ship or don't know very well the mechanics of running a pillage. This is where greywaters comes in; yes we all know that pay rates on greywaters are not the best but that is the POINT of greywaters. There is practically no risk (your ship will not be sunk) so that is why the rewards are less. Greywaters a place for new pirates to learn how running a pillage works without running the risk of sinking.

I don't understand why you want to opt out of PvP if the theme of this ocean is exactly to encourage it. Yes it is a little skewed to benefit the hunter rather than the hunted but that doesn't mean that if you get engaged on PvP you will automatically sink; if that is your point of view then just stay on greywaters until you feel more confident.

I have run numerous pillages and have been engaged in PvP only once (the first battle I disengaged, he then proceeded to follow me for a second engage and he ended up losing the fray). I also have an extra sloop that I leave unlocked for crew use in a SINKING archipielago and even the newest officers in the crew have not sunk it yet (fingers crossed).

Bottom line in my point of view is that you have some common sense and critical thinking before starting a pillage. It's not just about going on your ship and posting a job. You should Check the notice board for any enemy faction who is jobbing and check which island they're at. If an Ultimate bnaver from the other faction loading a pilly off of Huracan Island then just use a ship on another island. Don't have a ship on another island? Then wait for this person to finish their pilly to start yours.

I'm trying to convey my message in the best way possible; If you have at least some bnav experience and know how to actually run a pillage, being engaged in a PvP should not pose a threat to you, even if the enemy battle navigator is more experienced you should be able to run away or force a grapple and lose your stock instead of your ship. If being engaged on a PvP does pose a threat to you then just stay on Greywaters arch until you have the knowledge.

Your opt-out proposal would be somewhat imbalanced for the people that don't opt-out because you will potentially get the same high paying cuts for a battle without having to risk your ship. If there was PvP or not I don't care, I just think that the same rules should apply for everyone.

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates