mvnForum Homepage

Print at Dec 7, 2019 3:58:34 AM

Posted by Nek0jin at Oct 18, 2017 4:29:14 PM
Re: Server future, Opt-out PvP, Neutral Crews (BIG WALL OF TEXT)

I'm not aware of any areas on any oceans being "PvP free". But, again, PvP not something I personally seek out, so it's entirely possible that I'm wrong.

To my knowledge the only time you can't attack another player is when that other player is on a navy vessel (aka a mission ["a mission from god"])

Okay, thank you for the correction. No "newbie" safe zone. So any time you're sailing in the old oceans, you can be intercepted and engaged by another player. But the consequences are non-sinking (unless your flags are at War), and the penalties for losing the Swordfight/Brawling is the same as a PvE loss (again, unless your flags are at War).

I don't really have a problem with that. My opinions have changed over the years. I was fiercely anti-PvP from the start (and the PvP that games like UO offered did nothing to help). While I still hate griefing, ambushing, etc. I can deal with that... if the cost isn't too high. But the costs here aren't cheap. Lose the swordfighting, you lose everything in your hold except enough Rum to reach another island. That costs you, what, a few hours' pillaging? Tolerable.

But the sinking cost. Not only are you losing everything in the hold, you're losing the ship, and either having to buy a new one or rebuild the old one. Even at the cheapest level, that's not a small loss. Vanilla-normal Sloops cost 85k. Cutters are 125k. And it goes up steeply from there.

Either you spend dozens of hours to recoup that loss, or you open your pocketbook to "replenish" your losses. This isn't a casual, easily forgotten loss... this is the sort of loss that makes people quit games.

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates