mvnForum Homepage

Print at Apr 4, 2020 10:52:23 AM

Posted by Nek0jin at Oct 16, 2017 9:01:49 PM
Re: Server future, Opt-out PvP, Neutral Crews
Well said.

The issue isn't PvP vs. PvE. It's Open-ocean PvP and PvE Pillaging and Monster Hunting PvE and Blockade PvP and Island Governance (both PvP and Co-Op, in its own ways).

None of these need to be in conflict with each other. The game has to make them all work to one degree or another. Shoving out the PvP'ers won't work. Putting them up on a pedestal won't, either. Anyone who views it as one or the other is blinded to the real problems.

Fundamentally, the problem with PvP in a PvE environment is that nobody likes to be victimized. And that's what happens when PvP enthusiasts push it onto PvE'ers who are just trying to have a little fun pillaging. The "Red vs. Grey" divide is all well and good, but even so, you're effectively crowding the people who don't want to be ambushed to stay in the "kiddy pool." Or risk significant losses for the chance to get out into the wider world and other gameplay elements.

I don't know how the PvP element is looking at the game now. I'm not in tune with who is doing what. But I can say with certain that people who lose two, three ships from being ambushed start wondering where the fun is. Maybe some stay, work hard to rebuild those ships. But some in this situation will decide that it's not worth their time, and go find something else to play.

And the game loses players.

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates