mvnForum Homepage

Print at Aug 18, 2019 5:09:49 PM

Posted by wrs1864b at Sep 20, 2017 6:51:12 AM
Re: Intent to fork: PPAOCR (Pirate Commodity Trader with Bleach)
I have pretty much retired from the game, so I haven't investigated problems with YARRG much.

In my experience, the old OCR based system was much less reliable (and slower) than the JARRG uploader (which worked for both PCTB and YARRG). It required the YARRG maintainer to constantly update the OCR system to recognize new fonts and character sizes and even then, it would get things wrong at times. (For example, sometimes you would get listings for commodities from "Mercenary Supply Shop", "MercenarySupply Shop", AND "Mercenary SupplyShop" without any indication of which was the most current data.) The maintainer for YARRG actually tracked me down in-game to complain about me still using the OCR program long after the JARRG uploader was published because it created extra work for him to do.

If you are going to put some effort in to this, I highly recommend trying to get the JARRG uploader working in some form.

OK, not only does JARRG not work, but YARRG doesn't support Obsidian and you can't get YARRG to support Obsidian because no one has updated the Yppedia for all the island maps yet. I keep telling myself that I should do that, but, well, I'm mostly retired.
----------------------------------------
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates