mvnForum Homepage

Print at Aug 20, 2019 2:18:33 PM

Posted by alxwrd at Sep 20, 2017 5:18:05 AM
Intent to fork: PPAOCR (Pirate Commodity Trader with Bleach)
Ahoy!

I want to publicly announce my intent to fork the project known as Pirate Commodity Trader with Bleach (PCTB). More specifically, the OCR client known as PPAOCR, as the source code for the web server was never released.

I am creating this thread incase any of the original creators of PCTB are still active and have any concerns. Also, to allow for discussion in the community.

The resulting project will be under the MIT licence , the same as the original.

Why?

A lot of trade tools currently require 'hooking' into the Puzzle Pirate client to access data from the commodity screen. My understanding is these tools use their own copy of Java with accessibility options turned on (screen readers, etc) to allow reading of the market data as plain text. However, with the release of the Puzzle Pirates - Dark Seas, I haven't found a way to get these tools to work with the Steam install of Dark Seas. As such, I will looking to revive PCTB.

Problems with the original
The current version of PPAOCR has a couple of issues which have caused it to stop working.

OCR doesn't work on some clients
Both the official YPP client from http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ and the new Dark Seas client have some changes to the header height in the commodity window, which means the OCR no longer works on those clients. It does still work with the Seam version of YPP.

Upload site no longer exists
The site at http://pctb.crabdance.com/ is no longer available. So in addition to fixing up the issues with the client: I will be looking into creating a server application that will also be released to allow anyone to host their own instance if they so desired.

When?

Unless:

• The project would be a waste of time, because there is already a trade client that works with Dark Seas
  • The original project owners decide to continue the original project

I intend to create a fork of the project sometime in the next week. The project will be hosted on github.

In the meantime, please let me know any thoughts/concerns or any ideas for a project name!
----------------------------------------
Fatman - Obsidian

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates