mvnForum Homepage

Print at Apr 26, 2019 8:44:27 AM

Posted by xelto at May 28, 2012 9:21:23 AM
Re: The elitism of Puzzle Pirates

it was no fault of mine nor Vetarnian's that the officer was too eager to wait for training (Vet prefers to "suggest" rather than give direct instructions, he's soft like that).

Well, the few times I've promoted new players to officer, I made damn certain that they understood that they should do a run with me before they headed off on their own. I also told them why they needed a dry run first, so they had a bit of perspective about how the game runs.

In Three Rings' own system, his pillage would've been marked with a bright green "Learning" (now there's an idea).

Added to the list. Though that is possible now in a not-perfect-but-better-than-nothing way, by putting in a quick note in the chat bubble.

1) Somewhere in the archives there's a suggestion I made about having a coliseum for various battle types. One of the suggestions in it was simply target practice-- give a new officer somewhere he can get out, give him skilled swabbies, and all he has to do is sail around. No grappling, no getting shot at, just a target to shoot. Let him learn how to maneuver, how currents and whirlpools work, and stuff like that.
2) Give us more swabbies. Raise the swabbie cutoff on a sloop to six, at the very least. (That is, you lose your first swabbie when the fourth person steps on the ship, not when the second person does.)
3) Not allow notice board postings until the navigator passes some sort of test to indicate basic knowledge and skill. I mean, everyone he jobbed was expecting someone with at least basic experience. Your training made their game experience worse-- and those things you said about the game declining? Inexperienced navigators are part of the reason for it. That doesn't excuse your jobbers' rudeness, but does explain it.
4) Have some way of indicating that you're training a new officer.

----------------------------------------
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates