mvnForum Homepage

Print at Dec 9, 2019 9:36:09 PM

Posted by Sverdrup at Oct 10, 2011 5:50:48 AM
Re: Reasons for not returning War Declarations?
Elliptic wrote: 
That "excuse" is used a lot because it's always a valid reason.
Not so.

Using the protection of junior officers as excuse to avoid war, I feel, is an excuse of senior officers to avoid the consequences of their own failures to train and support their junior officers. The best way to prepare officers for war includes:

1. expect a certain skill level in piracy (distinguished in sail/carp/bilge),

2. own a sloop,

3. an hour-long training session (or test pillage),

4. friendly PvP with an in-crew trainer to explain "pools are your friend",

5. provide jobbing support by senior officers on junior officer's pillages,

6. explain that the attacker has the responsibility to hit and avoid the appearance of the "disengage" button; if an officer chooses to run, seek the disengage, and succeeds to get it, then s/he has won the PvP with honor as a defender;

7. pledge to replace all sloops sunk in war with crew funds, if the sloop has at least 5 people aboard.

Admittedly, this is a lot of work, perhaps too much work for most "elite" players, but it results in a strong, happy, mutually supportive crew and flag as well as trying to keep the game alive by growing it from the bottom up rather than the top down.

This type of pirating is not rewarded materially, you cannot "buy" blockades and collect islands with it. It is one of the many built-in contradictions and conflicts provided by game design. Few people with legendary battle navigation skill take green pirates onto their boats. I do. I plank them fast, but 8 of 10 do real well, better than many "elites" or "alts." I derive pleasure (not power, not poe) to have trained many green pirates and greenish officers to become legendary battle navigators themselves.

This is why we can and will go to war, if we so chose and if we judge the other side to be non-toxic and of stable mental health.

EDITs: Forgot Elliptic's quote that this is a response to. Spelling.
----------------------------------------
Sverdrup, CPTN of Schroedinger's Cat, Heisenberg's Uncertainty, Meridian

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates