mvnForum Homepage

Print at Oct 26, 2020 9:25:53 PM

Posted by SirCarl67 at Mar 28, 2011 8:21:59 AM
Re: A Flag Cup Tournament
Sorry if this seems like a negative post but I can't see this happening unless the prize is huge.

The biggest problem I see with this is the cost of taking part.

To get to the final you will need to fund 7 blockades (4 of which up to 7 rounds).

It is only fair to pay the jobbers reasonably so I will work on 500 per seg which is on a par with a pillage open to all with a decent navver. I will also assume that there are 100 jobbers on each side (you could get less especially if you held matches simultaniously but in my opinion the less people involved in a blockade the less skill is involved and the more that is based on jobber numbers. (A WB against a WB and a sloop will strongly favour the team with the sloop as it can sit on a 3 point flag and for one WB to outscore the other by 3 points a turn is virtually impossible, I now there are alternatives such as make it a WB and a sloop agains a Baghlah and a sloop but all such permutations are equally difficult)

100 jobbers being paid 500 per seg equates to 250k per round. Stock would make this about 300k If you average 4 rounds a match the group stages will cost 3.6M plus the cost of stock. Getting to the final would make that around 10 million. Not many flags could afford such an cost to enter an event certainly not 32.

There are other issues that are probably manageable. You would need to have a neutral way of deciding the time of the event. If a European dominated flag competes against a US dominated flag the timing of the eventwould be critical to the outcome.

It is not unknown for two flags to set up a training blockade to blood new blockade navvers / JCs / Admirals but they are relatively rare because of the cost. Trying to get 32 flags to commit to up to 7 such blockades will prove very difficult. Make 1st prize Admiral on Sage (or your oceans equivalent) and you might be able to get a reasonable level of interest though even then I suspect it would be 8 to 16 flags. Or alliances might negotiate which flag in their ring will be their contender (resulting in 2 to 4 entries)
----------------------------------------
Apollo tells ye "If you're ok for me to do one [bake-off], I'll go with that."

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates