mvnForum Homepage

Print at Apr 10, 2020 5:31:36 AM

Posted by wrs1864b at Mar 9, 2011 6:43:34 AM
Re: How much inspiration is too much inspiration?
Sweetiepiepi wrote: 
There's way more than enough piratification and original elements to pass that test with flying colours.

It doesn't matter how much stuff you add to a copyrighted work, the final result is still a derivative work. This means that the derived work is copyrighted by both the original artist, and the person who made the modifications, so in order for the new work to be legally used, *both* parties must give permission.

All works created almost anywhere in the world are automatically copyrighted under the Berne Convention, so neither the original artist, nor the person who created the derived work need to do anything to gain a copyright. For most things, however, it is rarely worth the original creator's time to pursue legal action.

Pizzahutpete wrote: 
If "He's My Lord" wasn't plagiarizing "He's So Fine", then there's enough difference IMO.

...and if you recognize the court case, happy half-century :)

Uh, I think you mean "my sweet lord", and Harrison lost the case.
----------------------------------------
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates