mvnForum Homepage

Print at Jun 2, 2020 2:13:43 PM

Posted by Smackey at Nov 25, 2004 10:01:30 AM
Re: Spades-palooza [Dial-up Warning. Many images within.]
Whoo, I love spades :).

Generally, I'll try getting pics up later on how many to bid well, but for now just a run over on a few things.

Bidding: All right. Bidding is the most important part of the game, and everyone has their own certain strategies when it comes to it. Usually if you have 3 of some suit, and ye have the ace, that's a good trick to count in. Ace and King of the same suit - Well, it depends on how many you have. If you have 6 of that suit, I wouldn't count on getting A and K. Chances are that due to your having a bunch, one of your opposition has a paucity of that suit, and he will trump it if he desires. Queens - I hardly count them as a trick, unless I have the King (And a low amount of cards in that suit) to back it up. And I'd call that pair 1 trick. If ye got one of a suit and 4 or more spades, I'd consider that a trick. Because once that card gets played out, you can trump (Spade) the following if you desire.

A common fault to new players: Bidding the number of spades you have. Wrongo. It does happen sometimes, but it's pretty much rare. If you know you have the ability to trump a lot of stuff coming out with your plethora of spades, you should conside rthem tricks. You can take good estimated guesses how many times it will suceed by lookng at your number of cards in each other suit. Or maybe in how many spades you do have :)

I don't like nil. I never play it IRL, since it's silly. So that's why I generally avoid it. Plus, it's only 50 points. It's much better to go 2 and set the other team than to bid nil and make your not-so-whopping 50 points.

If you're playing with a partner you've never played before, you should under bid. Why? It's better to be safe than sorry. Ye don't know how he plays. Ye don't know if he knows the game well. Ye don't know if he's bidding the amount of spades he has :P. It's good to bid 1 or 2, depending on how many tricks are on the table, under than what you should be able to make.

Don't bid too many when you don't have to. The best way I can explain this is by these settings.

1. You are the last person to bid, and there are 12 tricks already bidded. You have a damn good 5 bid - do not bid 5!. Chances are that someone overbidded, and it might even be your partner. I would go 2 in this case. It would be okay to bag, since you would be setting them. Plus, if you got set, because you bid 5 and wanted to make it a 17 trick hand, then you will be stomping yourself in the foot when it fails :P. This can apply to many situations when there are already a high amount of tricks being played. That doesn't mean you go nil, you know :P.

2. You need 40 to win the game, and your partner bids 2, and you have a good 4 bid - don't bid 4 :P. Ye got no reason too, and maybe your opposition was underbidding to trap you. Just bid the 2 (Or 3 if you must/have to/cannot resist), and wathc out the the bags. Excepts are when the game is close. In this case, go the 4 to make sure you have enough points to like, you know, win the game properly.

In game tips:

1. Setting - Go for the set (Taking enough tricks so your opposition's hand doesn't make its required tricks) when it's a 12 or 13 bid. Try to get as many as possible and also try setting it up. 11 - You should focus on how many sand bags you have left, untill you lose 100. Generally, just watch how the hand is being played on an 11. If it looks like you won't set them, then you should try bagging them after you've accomplished your trick requirement.

2. Reading how many cards of a suit a person has - Let's say it's a 14 trick hand (As in there is a combined bidding of 14) where you must go for every single trick, and it's appearent to all players that ye have to.

The Setting:
Bob (Team one) throws Ace of Hearts on second play of diamonds.
Jordan (Team two) throws a 7 of hearts.
Richard (Team one) throws a 9 of hearts.
Billy (Team two) throws a King of Hearts.

Chances are Billy has no more hearts after that, so it would be beneficial to not throw any more hearts. That, or Billy is a silly person :P. It doesn't have to be the first play or even a 14 trick hand. But if you have a great feeling that your opposition is depserate for tricks and then throw away high cards, chances are they have no more left. I know this might be confusing, but I'll try to get pics. And if ye see it done more often, ye will know what I'm talking about.

3. Bagging - If it's a 10 trick hand, you probably wanna go for bagging them. Generally, I usually like taking our tricks first (Unless I have the Ace, or a plethora of spades); then I go for bagging them. Basic "Better to be Safe than Sorry" standard here. It's tough to explain by words, so I'll try get some pics up in volume 2 to illustrate what I'm trying to say.

4. Covering the nil - If you have a myriad of a suit (Usually 5 or more), and some high of it, use that to help your pard dump whatever he has high of another suit. There are cases where both partners have the same high number of the same suit, but it's rare. Don't rely on your partner to have lower! If you can take a suit and/or have a great chance of covering your pard, by all means, do it. If the opposition happens to cover your partner on a play, this is a great time to dump any low cards of that suit or another suit. There is no reason to take a trick when you don't have to, unless you happen to NEED that trick to cover your own bid. Keep the high cards; discard the low cards (When safe) - that's a pretty good general rule to follow when trying to cover your pard's nil.

Alright, the next time I write something this big, it will probably have pics in it to make it a bit more easier to comprehend.

More input from more people please :)
----------------------------------------
"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal."- Friedrich Hayek

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates