mvnForum Homepage

Print at Apr 25, 2019 6:45:26 AM

Posted by Mystrelia at Aug 5, 2010 11:48:24 PM
Re: A couple of suggestions for Crimson.
Crimson needs something but I really don't think blockades are the answer. More habited islands would be a good thing but there are very valid concerns raised in this thread.

I play Crimson occasionally with my son. We are members of a "crew" that's headed up by a very sharp and ambitious 10-year-old. If this girl had her way Crimson would be hopping. Tonight my son and I logged on and took a look at the crew issues. She had over a half-dozen members up for being booted because they've gone dormant.

I love the idea behind Crimson but in my opinion PP is too involved for most children. My son loves to play (he's twelve) and is sharp enough but even he doesn't have the commitment to play frequently or for long periods of time (we may play for an hour once a week). I also have an idea he's just biding his time there for the next six months until he turns thirteen and can move over to one of the regular oceans with my daughter and me.

Then there's the aspect of how many times does a kid have to get beat on pillages before they throw up their hands and give up? My son has a sloop and we went out this evening with a couple of swabbies. We were tired and out for fun more than winning so out of six or eight battles we won two. We were laughing and having a great time of it, but most kids would have been fed up and walked off after getting trounced a couple of times.

I think another part of the problem is the economy. The real world economy affects an ocean's economy. I play pirates on two oceans and can't afford to pay real money for everyone's doubloons for everything. We do spend some money on doubs but it isn't a lot and it isn't often. This means we're depending on someone else's pocketbook to be able to play this game. This causes problems in that none of us want to buy a labor badge because that's five doubloons that could be put to better use elsewhere. At between 3,000 and 4,000 PoE per doubloon, a labor badge is unprofitable because even if a person is the best player on an ocean not all of their labor is going to go toward the highest-paid work.

For me what Crimson has become is mainly something I've wanted for a long time: an ocean I can mess around on with my kid, and one I can log onto just to goof around with various puzzles from time to time without booching everything.

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates