mvnForum Homepage

Print at Feb 22, 2020 6:20:44 PM

Posted by treepirate88 at Jan 28, 2010 10:03:36 AM
Re: Blockades of Attrition: Yes or No?

Quoted:

I don't think that attrition has much of a place in a fun, social online game. Now, that's not to say that the game design doesn't make than obvious tactic, and for that I acknowledge fault.

Attrition is pretty much by definition griefing, as it relies on wearing down (primarily, esp. in the case of established Midnight flags who can field essentially bottomless resources) the enemy's will to fight. I've warned about using this kind of tactic, now is the time to send a clear message that it's not acceptable.

To me this is the most important part. Puzzle pirates, no matter how serious anyone takes it, is still a game at the end of the day.

But the fact that you have a game with war seems semi-ironic when the spirit of the game has been said to have fun. A game is for fun, most of the time, while a war is serious. It's pretty hard to have a war be fun. It's pretty easy for a game to stray away from fun and get serious. That's why we see the game get serious, all too often, when war is involved. War, as a mechanic of the game, begets seriousness. When seriousness is involved people usually set their heart to doing whatever they can do to win.

I'm not saying blockades are bad or war is a terrible thing. What I'm saying is that there are some people out there who have the wrong intentions in doing what they're going to do. I can't tell you how many blockades I've seen where it's personal or "we just want to shut them up". hehehe that was still a funny video/sound byte

I dunno, just my thoughts.
----------------------------------------
Expendable - Malachite
Lock it up.
Apollo says, "Expendable, I will now spank you with extreme prejudice"

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates