mvnForum Homepage

Print at May 26, 2019 11:03:28 PM

Posted by Timwiles at Jun 10, 2009 10:54:01 AM
Re: A Very Puzzled Pirate

The main goal of this event is to distribute an easy to read and easy to follow guide of excellent battle navigation and pillaging tips to the global ypp community.

I really feel we already have this in the sloop pillaging guide. It really details almost everything, including links to the whirlpool guide and collision mechanics. It has been me flag's policy for years to send mates who are near promotion to the Sloop Pillaging Guide to read it before their training. Then at training, we can clarify points that were confusing, give a lil pop quiz to make sure they got the main points, and expand upon it. It is too much information to just throw at someone on the fly, generally.

Thanks Greentail I had been struggling with that idea last night and i am glad that you brought it up. First off, i did not want to take away from what we already have in an excellent guide in YPPdia. That is not the purpose of this event. The purpose of this event is, however, to give players a chance to showcase their knowledge about YPP and and to display their teaching skills. I think even though we have a guide already, it could still be a great event for people to show what they know. If that means copying and pasting from the guide when you submit and entry, then it should be obvious and easy enough to give a lower score.
The idea is for people to bring what the normally do when training people in their own crews to the forums. If we do not end up compiling an end all be all guide for pillaging, than so be it. There are plenty of great resources out there, and i am not claiming to be pillaging's saviour as far as trying to put together a guide :P

The main things the guide lacks are a few new features (like configuring voyage), how much rum and shot ye need, and practical tips on bnav. How to make the pillage "go" is well-covered, however. Perhaps it would save time/effort and allow for better entries if pirates could build on the sloop pillaging guide. So the first part of yer event would be slightly modified and the second part would be much shortened. If we get to assume the trainee has had time to read the guide(s) resulting from parts 1 and 2, then part 3 (the mini-pillage) can be much more focused on practical application and less on typing.

Based on your points, I think it is appropriate to maybe rework the pillaging part of the competition. I like your idea of starting off at the YPPedia page, but i don't think that I should completely disregard the basics. I think what i will do is refer people to that page, and ask them to put what they feel is most important in their own words. Then, maybe add a few of their own pillaging experiances as to what works best, and things that aren't in the guide (like rumm and shot as you mentioned). We will have some repeat information, but i want to see how good people can present the information to a greenie who is just learning the ropes. There is a large difference between having the knowledge of how to do something and the ability to relate it to other. The latter is what i am really looking for in this part of the competition.

I guess me main difficulty is yer disallowing reference to guides we already have. The yppedia is a rich source of information, I link to pages in it during me training to get me mates used to referencing it. The ships page, for example, with the damage listings, is something I was told to have open every time I made a pillage. And, well, the cap'n and senior officers are not always online when a "greenie" officer is, so knowing where to look when ye can't ask someone is a very important skill.

See my edit on the first post. Thats a great point and i think i adressed it. Mainly, i did not want pirates stealing each other's guides and submitting it as their own. The wording that I chose was too harsh though, and i think that it is ok for pirates to send links, or quote things, or copy from their previous work. I did not, however, want an all out copy and paste.

Thanks for your advice, I really appreciate it! You bring up valid and true points. Let me know if you have anything else!
----------------------------------------
Duende- Malachite, Hunter

Shortntarty tells ye, "my left boob has got a better shot than she does at getting famous

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates