mvnForum Homepage

Print at Oct 18, 2019 11:40:29 PM

Posted by Timwiles at Jun 8, 2009 3:55:35 PM
A Very Puzzled Pirate
A Very Puzzled Pirate

Why:
In light of the seemingly large gap between the so called "elite" and "greenie" pirates (because we all know there is no middle ground, right?) I thought I would throw an event to help those who feel like the odds are stacked against them to be successful in YPP. This event also gives players a chance to give back to the YPP community.

Ever see the officer who has neophyte/able bnav despite any requirements that a crew might list in its info page? Yep you guessed it, that's Me! This event is aimed at helping pirates just like me to become better so they can lead more successful pillages and bring new blood to the pillaging, blockade, and SMH scenes. I have been at this game for a fairly long time, but when it comes to battle navigation, I'm still a VERY PUZZLED PIRATE. So what is your goal? To help me- and everyone else like me- to become better at battle navigation.

What:
The event will consist of three areas, each aimed at helping pirates become more accomplished in the areas of sea battle and leading pillages. Each area will be judged independent of the others, with different prizes being awarded to the winners and runners up of each area. An overall grand-prize winner will be chosen based on a composition of the three scores for pirates who wish to enter all three categories (not that it is possible for a pirate to win the overall category without winning any of the individual ones).

How:
The first category is a battle navigation guide. The guide can be as long, as short, or in any format that you desire- whether it is a video recording with an explanation of your bnav, a written guide, or any other format you choose. The guide is geared to someone completely new to battle navigation and the AI. However, it is not necessary to explain in this category everything that takes place on a pillage (that is for the next category); assume that potential watcher knows about rum, shot, the sf or brawl after, ect; you only have to explain the mechanics of battle navigation and strategy. The guide can be as complex or as simple as you want it to be. However, a good guide should explain the basics of sea battle and then some of the more complex strategies of the AI. Providing your advice is solid, a pirate should be able to advance from fighting green brigands to much harder spawns by the time he is finished with your instructions (results obviously will very due to skill of the pirate). Because you are instructing "greener pirate", please make all information relevant to battle navigation on a sloop. However, feel free to throw in some differences between battling in different sized ships, or what you would to if you wanted to do on a WB bnav instead of a sloop. Please just make most of it relevant to a sloop pillage.
Judging criteria for this category will be as follows:
-The completeness of the guide.
-The guide's simplicity and ease to understand (by simplicity I mean how easy is it to translate your advice into practical use in battle).
-The overall quality of your advice.

Note: Please refrain from submitting guides that have already been completed. However, do feel free to reference certain sections of public guides, sections of your own, or a part of anything that you have created in the past. I do not want this contest to copy and paste, but understand some people might have done good work in the past. If you have a question about how much of a previous guide you can use, please contact me and a decision will be made on a case by case basis.

The Second category will be a guide on leading pillages in general. This guide does not have to include information on how to bnav. Much like the bnav category, entries can be any format desired. I would encourage you to make your entry as interesting and fun as possible. You can use pictures of things (such as screen shots of you charting or buying stock ect.), a written guide, or any combination of multi media you wish. In this guide, please assume that your audience knows about all the duty stations, but not much else. A good complete guide should cover everything form jobbing, how to balance bilge, carp, and sails during a battle, how to split booty ect. Because you are instructing a very puzzled pirate, please make all information relevant to pillaging on a sloop. However, feel free to throw in some differences between ships, or what you would to if you wanted to do a WB pillage instead of a sloop. Please just make most of it relevant to a sloop pillage. A good complete pillage guide should also give information on planning a pillage for an elite group of pirates as opposed to a greener group and explain the differences between routs, brigand colors, ect.
Judging criteria for this category will be as follows:
-The completeness of the guide.
-The guide's simplicity and ease to understand (by simplicity I mean how easy is it to translate your advice into practical use in battle).
-The overall quality of your advice.

The third category is based on your ability to translate your advice into reality on a mini-pillage. This section will come after the first two, so the leader of the pillage will have time to read your advice that you have provided in the first two categories. You will be jobbed aboard a ship (all participants in the event will be provided with elite puzzlers in order to assure fairness and equal opportunities for moves and damage control during sea battle). You will then explain how to get ready for a pillage to the "greenie" naver. Because you will be explaining and talking, you will not be required to puzzle. Every ship will sail with seven mates, with the participant giving advice to the bnaver. Each participant can remain on the ship for three battles, so that we can see how you instruct for easy and more difficult brigands alike. Your success will be judged cumulatively on how you handle all three battles, porting, and of course taking off in the beginning. You will be judged on how you explain running a pillage and how to bnav in real time. Please be polite, tell any relevant jokes, or do anything to entertain us in a way that is relevant and helps us learn. There are no criteria for the judging of this category... anything goes and we will decide who gives the best practical explanations.
For this last category, pirates will be asked to make an alt on Malachite since that is where I play (or use your real pirate if your home is Mala). The purpose for this is two fold: I have people willing to pillage with me there who can provide consistent puzzling scores for each mini-pillage, and I will be able to guarantee ships and charts there to sail on. Also, by doing this we can be assured that the same rout is charted for each min-pillage. This will make also help make sure that roughly the same spawns come for each pirate who wishes to enter this category.

I would like to compile a list of chat logs from the practical part, and the entries from the other part on to a YPPedi page. Hopefully, it would be a pretty darn good place for anyone to go who wants great bnav tips and pillage tips all in one. It would kind of be a guide from the "elite" to the greenies, but all in one convenient place where they could easily access it.

Please, if anyone would like to help me out with this event, has some prizes they would like to donate, or has any other advice for me let me know!
Feel free to comment and critique. I am hoping that this event can start up sometime in July or early August, based on the prizes I can get and the little details I need to work out.

Edit1 to fix annoying boxes and spaces and rewording of request to not re-use other guides
----------------------------------------
Duende- Malachite, Hunter

Shortntarty tells ye, "my left boob has got a better shot than she does at getting famous

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates