mvnForum Homepage

Print at Oct 28, 2020 8:00:53 AM

Posted by spinn at Sep 3, 2003 3:19:10 AM
Re: Ship upgrades and puzzle variations
burrito wrote: 
spinn wrote: 
Okay, how about: instead of having equipment that makes you clear things better, how about equipment that makes the puzzle different somehow. I'm not sure how to work this into the metaphor, let's see...

It doesn't necessarily have to change the puzzle, but could make the effects of the puzzle have greater efficiency. For example, you could upgrade your mast/sails/rudder and now when a person gets a "Good" in sailing, it has the same effect an "Excellent" would have on normal sails, get it?

Oh yah I get it, just that I thought someone made the point that lack of upgrades is what gives PP an advantage over other MMORPGs, in that it's more about what you can do than what stuff you own. I figured it might be interesting if you could get equipment that creates variations, rather than a +2 Cloth of Sailing, say.

If you're just able to buy equipment that makes your character better (rather than you), then PP gets closer to the kind of game that gives an advantage to the 14 yr old who has the time to play 8 hours a day, because all he needs to do is make more money than me. Sure, he might still kick me arse because of his experience, but I'd rather be beat for that than be beat because some kid saved up for a Sword of Extra Breakers.
----------------------------------------
And thus, the message is concluded.

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates