mvnForum Homepage

Print at Sep 23, 2020 9:55:32 AM

Posted by emshort at Sep 1, 2003 8:10:31 AM
Re: Ship upgrades and puzzle variations
MojoChiba wrote: 
I didn't mean to subtract from your post at all, and I hope you didn't take it like that.

No, of course not.

MojoChiba wrote: 
My post was meant to be more of an "added along with" type of deal. As far as what YPP currently does, my experience is that sailing is pretty random, sometimes I get hard puzzles and sometimes easy with no apparent pattern aside from maybe a time based algorithm. With carpentry, you get bigger holes as you go along, but only while you're doing the carpentry. Once you get off the ship and get on a ship again, the carpentry (for me) has always started with fairly small holes that got bigger. This does not really help the newbs or help to separate the cream of the crop. I think the additions would be great, as the puzzles on their own merit do get a bit boring.

Yeah, I see what you're saying a bit better now. Like I said, my impression about the sailing difficulty is pretty subjective, or maybe I just had a string of bad luck last night leading to a bunch of really hard boards in a row.

I keep having more ideas about this. Another variation on carpentry might be to give the player more holes to keep track of at a time. To compensate a bit for the added difficulty, maybe there would be a clamp tool that would come up, like the mortar bucket, that you could use to hold a hole together for as long as you wanted while you waited for the perfect piece to fill it in.

Maybe it would be a good idea to offer several non-compatible upgrades for each puzzle -- so you could upgrade your sails to Fancy Rigging in order to get more complex patterns, or to Fine Cloth in order to add a new color to the drop pattern. And when you got bored with one upgrade, you could pay to have it removed and another one installed. Voila, a sink for PoE that also adds to the basic gameplay and increases variety in ships.

I like the separated hull idea for bilging, too.

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates