mvnForum Homepage

Print at Oct 21, 2020 9:52:28 AM

Posted by SilveRansom at Jul 4, 2008 8:45:35 AM
Re: Silveransom's Avatar Tech

Which do you recommend for when you plan to resize into an avatar size?
or does this not matter?

Sur, monitor(screen) resolution is 72 ppi. Avatar size is 150x150 pixels. Ultimately, dpi doesn't matter all that much for the computer's sake, since things are always displayed at 72 ppi. It's just that if you change the graphic resolution to 72 ppi, you can see how it "really" looks.

It's the difference between dpi (dots per inch) and ppi (pixels per inch). Monitors can only physically display at 72 ppi, where printers can print at various dpi settings.

So, I work at print resolution (600 dpi is a bit overkill, since 300 looks great, but if I work at 600, I can effectively print at double scale) for my portfolio's sake, and so I can get in details. When I'm done painting, and want it at avvie size, I save it as another file (so I keep the original at big size) first. Then, I go to the Image Size command in Photoshop, change the ppi to 72, then the image size to 150x150 (which means I work in a square so that it scales properly).

...does that make sense, and answer your question? The difference between dpi and ppi is the heart of what's happening there. That, and that 72 ppi is the baseline for monitors.

Edited to add: As for "does it matter", well... yes and no. If you're working at 600 or even 300 like I am, it doesn't matter much. If you work at 150 ppi, however, when you rescale it, you may see some mild distortion thanks to the computer trying to cram 2.083333 pixels into the space of one. It's not a big effect, but it can get a little artifactish around sharp details. (Like a JPEG distortion, in a way.) Scaling down from the larger sizes means the ratio is different, but so much detail is lost anyways that it doesn't matter.

Working at 144 ppi or 288 ppi (2x and 4x the base 72, respectively) provides more accurate rescaling. Four or sixteen pixels get jammed into one that way, and the sampling is more accurate. Then again, sometimes it's nice to have that slight fudge factor, as it can sort of "blur" some of the harsher details, and make those Microsoft Paint pencil lines softer. It's probably just best to start messing around with different resolutions to see what it does for your work, and what effect you like best. :D

Thanks!

-Silver
----------------------------------------
Silveransom
makes art like this or this &
Blender Eggs!

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates